HELP! MCAT 6 WEEK Study Plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureMD4294

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I definitely messed up. I graduated this May from UGA and spent 2 months taking summer courses, traveling, and finding a hospital job. I landed a position in the OR! Now I am taking my MCAT on September 10th and applying to only Osteopathic schools. This gives me ONLY 6 WEEKS of MCAT prep from today. I have access to Kaplan material/ resources, EK book set, Khan, and some AAMC material. How should I schedule these 6 weeks? Should I only focus on one book set?? I know this MCAT prep is going to be like a full time job with over time, but I want to give it a shot this cycle. Worst case scenario, I just retake my MCAT next year and accept 2 gap years.

ANY ADVISE/ STUDY STRATEGY FOR THESE 6 WEEKS WOULD BE GREAT! :)
My Stats: Cum GPA: 3.65 , Science: 3.5 , Extra Curricular: Plenty, Med Exposure: plenty

Members don't see this ad.

2 weeks dedicated to review of entire EK series, making Anki flash cards for high yield information. Review these cards every day until test day.

After finishing content review, do as many daily practice passages as you can stomach from whatever sources you want for the next 4 weeks. Make sure you purchase and go through every AAMC Section Bank as part of this - SB is the best resource available for the MCAT.

In addition to practice passages, take at least 1 FL practice test under test-like conditions every week, dedicating the day after taking the test to doing a thorough review. Official AAMC unscored and scored tests should be the last 2 you take.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to the MCAT subforum there should be more useful threads there on how to make study plans.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know the golden rule of sorts is only to apply once with your best application, so my initial thoughts are just to forgo the MCAT on Sept 10th and wait for next cycle. You will get a better score, have more experience racked up, and so on.

Even if you make the September MCAT...do you really want to be submitting your completed application in mid-October? And if you want to wait till the next cycle do you really want to have rushed your MCAT?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Why are you only aiming for DO? BC ur GPA is fine, if that's your concern (or I guess it'd be lateish for MD app cycle also)

Even if you make the September MCAT...do you really want to be submitting your completed application in mid-October? And if you want to wait till the next cycle do you really want to have rushed your MCAT?

im only applying DO this cycle. The cycles runs a lot later

Why are you only aiming for DO? BC ur GPA is fine, if that's your concern (or I guess it'd be lateish for MD app cycle also)
Basically only applying DO because Mid october application would be too late for MD

I don't know you or your application, but this sounds awfully disorganized. I know for a fact that there's no earthly way I would be prepared to take the MCAT in only six weeks. I would strongly urge you to consider applying next year when you have the requisite time for MCAT preparation, and you can apply as early as possible! Good luck.

So why is waiting 10 months a bad idea? Nothing wrong with DO but aside from the timing, is there a reason DO and not MD?

I can just see your interview:
"Why DO?"
"Oh I rushed my mcat and it was already too late for MD apps so I went DO"
"Uh... Hmm...."

Reactions: 2 users