HELP!!! - MCAT help for a Non-Trad.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CJ80

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently joined and have browsed through a few of the posts but didn't find an answer to my specific question so I thought I'd just go ahead and ask.

I'm a non-trad in the sense that I just turned 28 yesterday! If all goes well, I'm aiming to matriculate in 2010. However, I was a bio major in undergrad and have a pretty decent GPA (3.64). I have all the prereqs for med school but haven't reviewed material necessary for the MCAT's since like 1999-2000! Since I have the prereqs and the GPA, I really don't want to have to retake these classes. Does anyone have any recommendations, ie- review books, review sessions, etc.? I thought of the Kaplan review sessions but didn't know if those classes covered material or just study skills.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Check out the MCAT forum. You will find plenty of info there.

I used the Examkrackers books. They were pretty good.
Call the schools you plan on applying to. Some schools will want you to show recent coursework in the sciences.

The Kaplan and Princeton Review courses actually cover the material that you need to know for the MCAT. It's a pretty good review if you haven't seen the material in a while. I was in a similar boat- graduated with my bachelor's in '99. Took review course last year for MCAT. You have a good gpa, so I wouldn't stress out much about whether or not you can get back into the groove with the material. Just be aware that you'll have to put the time, effort and practice into preparing. Good luck!

I studied on my own without taking a formal course. I went overboard with resources and as a result, did not use any one set efficiently. My prereq's ranged from very recent to about 10 years old. If I had do it again (thankfully I don't), I would stick with Princeton Review books at home or Berkely Review home series supplemented with ExamCrackers 101 Verbal passages and 1001 Bio questions. NOVA physics book was good too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for all the resources. I'll definitely start breaking out the books soon. Unfortunately I broke out into a cleaning spree a year ago and threw out all of my old notes :( But with the princeton review books and examkracker books you all suggested, I'll just have to write up newer notes... And thanks for the tip on checking schools to see if they require more recent classes... I'll take that into consideration while preparing to apply.

CJ80, I was preparing to retake the MCAT after having thrown out my old notes in frustration. I took the Princeton Review course in LaJolla, CA. They have some great teachers; I hope whatever site is near you has great teachers as well. Also, they offer a verbal accelerator course that has some great reviews. I had used the Kaplan materials before but felt like PR offer better courses.

PR- b/w relearn and review

Examkrackers- basically just review

Must get- 101 VR from Examkrackers (unless you are getting 10 or 11s)

Take lots of prac. tests.

I found an Examkracker course near me but would you recommend PR over Examkrackers?

I don't know much about PR but took Examkrackers and found it was pretty good. I graduated from undergrad 2 years ago so I was a little out of it with regards to the Physics and Chemistry, but I started a Bio grad program part time just so I could keep up with the Biology to prepare for the MCATs.

I think if you had a good grasp of the basic science concepts from college (which it seems like you do since your GPA is great), Examkrackers may be good for you. The content in their books is really great for reviewing all the topics and touching on the major concepts that you really need to know for the exam.

As always, doing as many practice exams, particularly previous AAMC exams is good practice too.

Good luck! :)

I would review the examkrackers books before taking the course just to have the info already fresh. Actually, I wouldn't even recommend taking the course until you've reviewed all the stuff on your own and take a practice test to see if you need the course. Might save yourself a thousand.