Help me choose a Diversity Essay topic!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soonay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Title says it all. Currently my ideas for the diversity essay are:

1) Hobby route: I am super passionate about weightlifting and nutrition. Can talk about how weightlifting has improved my work ethic and/or how they both tie into my desire to do preventive-oriented healthcare.
-Concern: might sound too trivial for diversity?

2) I can easily see two sides of an issue/argument, and do not vilify people with dissenting viewpoints because I know that their views do not necessarily make them a bad person. I can talk about growing up as a more conservative liberal among a very liberal student body in high school/college, or about how I recognize that my dad is a good person despite some of his racist/homophobic views (he comes from an old-fashioned culture and doesn't act on his views)
-Concern: veering on the too-political side? possibly problematic?

3) Parents living through Cultural Revolution in China + their immigration to the US and slow climb to success taught me work ethic and the value of education
-Concern: talks too much about parents? Also work ethic+valuing education might not be too diverse for a med school student body

4) I'm surprisingly bad at using technology compared to my peers, and that's taught me to never assume someone is dumb even if they are ignorant, or don't catch on as quickly in a subject as you do. Also honed this quality as a tutor, since it's never productive to make a student feel dumb while teaching them. (BF told me this one when I was asking him for ideas- makes sense since he's a CS major LOL)

Anything would be helpful!! Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

1 is the best choice.

2 is too political and you’re supposed to be able to have a discussion with people you disagree with.

3 isnt about you

4 isn’t really diverse of you

Hello everyone! Title says it all. Currently my ideas for the diversity essay are:

1) Hobby route: I am super passionate about weightlifting and nutrition. Can talk about how weightlifting has improved my work ethic and/or how they both tie into my desire to do preventive-oriented healthcare.
-Concern: might sound too trivial for diversity?

2) I can easily see two sides of an issue/argument, and do not vilify people with dissenting viewpoints because I know that their views do not necessarily make them a bad person. I can talk about growing up as a more conservative liberal among a very liberal student body in high school/college, or about how I recognize that my dad is a good person despite some of his racist/homophobic views (he comes from an old-fashioned culture and doesn't act on his views)
-Concern: veering on the too-political side? possibly problematic?

3) Parents living through Cultural Revolution in China + their immigration to the US and slow climb to success taught me work ethic and the value of education
-Concern: talks too much about parents? Also work ethic+valuing education might not be too diverse for a med school student body

4) I'm surprisingly bad at using technology compared to my peers, and that's taught me to never assume someone is dumb even if they are ignorant, or don't catch on as quickly in a subject as you do. Also honed this quality as a tutor, since it's never productive to make a student feel dumb while teaching them. (BF told me this one when I was asking him for ideas- makes sense since he's a CS major LOL)

Anything would be helpful!! Thanks in advance :)
1 has been done to death. All pre-meds seem to be interested in nutrition.

2) You're suppposed to do this! It's called being a decent human being.

3) Your parents aren't applying to med school, you are.

4) Doesn't warm my heart.

Introspection is a required trait for a doctor. What's cool about you??? What human skill set do you bring to the class, that most others don't have (or are supposed to have)?