Mar 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi all, I'm trying to decide between these MD programs:

1. Case Western
2. Ohio State (offering some $$)
3. U of Pittsburgh
4. U of Washington (WWAMI program)

I don't have any specialty in mind, although I'd like to do academic medicine eventually. Any suggestions/info/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Moving to School Specific Discussions.

mdeast

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you want to do academic medicine, then Pitt seems like one of the best options. I'd vote UWash otherwise, but the program you've selected seems like it's geared toward community/family medicine...which seems against your notion of academic medicine and not really knowing your speciality (depending on what type of research/educator you want to be). Otherwise, I'd say Seattle >> Pittsburgh in terms of quality of geographical location. And both Pittsburgh and Seattle >>> Ohio.

Vltava

Bar 359
Mar 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you for the advice, mdeast. You bring up good points about the focus of the programs and the quality of locations. I applied to UWash's WWAMI because it was my only in-state option.

I guess I'll go to Pitt then.

jbz24

5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
UWash has a considerably better name and program than Pitt although I'm not sure how the WWAMI program would affect a career in academics.

d1ony5u5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2009
somewhere
Status
Medical Student
UWash does have a very good reputation, but don't you have to make some sort of commitment to return to your home state and practice there for a period of time? Depending on how much you like your home state, that could be an important consideration...

Vltava

Bar 359
Mar 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes, UWash requires me to practice as an attending for 3 years in my home state (Wyoming). I like my state, but its small population means limited opportunities for some specialties. There are certainly no academic medical centers in the state. I do, however, have the option of paying the tuition difference (with interest) instead returning for 3 years.

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OP, isn't your deadline for Case coming up? Have you made a decision? :luck::xf:

Vltava

Bar 359
Mar 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah, I've decided to go to Pitt. I guess I won't be seeing you at Case, vc7777. Pitt decided to include a merit scholarship in my financial aid package, so that basically settled the issue for me :).

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, I've decided to go to Pitt. I guess I won't be seeing you at Case, vc7777. Pitt decided to include a merit scholarship in my financial aid package, so that basically settled the issue for me :).
Sweet! You can't argue with a merit scholarship. Nice!

Well good luck at Pitt. I really enjoyed my interview there, and I think people are attracted to both programs for similar reasons. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.