Help me choose a school--thanks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

?

• Case Western

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • U of Pittsburgh

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • U of Washington (WWAMI)

Votes: 32 34.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vltava

Bar 359
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm trying to decide between these MD programs:

1. Case Western
2. Ohio State (offering some $$)
3. U of Pittsburgh
4. U of Washington (WWAMI program)

I don't have any specialty in mind, although I'd like to do academic medicine eventually. Any suggestions/info/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to do academic medicine, then Pitt seems like one of the best options. I'd vote UWash otherwise, but the program you've selected seems like it's geared toward community/family medicine...which seems against your notion of academic medicine and not really knowing your speciality (depending on what type of research/educator you want to be). Otherwise, I'd say Seattle >> Pittsburgh in terms of quality of geographical location. And both Pittsburgh and Seattle >>> Ohio.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice, mdeast. You bring up good points about the focus of the programs and the quality of locations. I applied to UWash's WWAMI because it was my only in-state option.

I guess I'll go to Pitt then.

UWash has a considerably better name and program than Pitt although I'm not sure how the WWAMI program would affect a career in academics.

UWash does have a very good reputation, but don't you have to make some sort of commitment to return to your home state and practice there for a period of time? Depending on how much you like your home state, that could be an important consideration...

Yes, UWash requires me to practice as an attending for 3 years in my home state (Wyoming). I like my state, but its small population means limited opportunities for some specialties. There are certainly no academic medical centers in the state. I do, however, have the option of paying the tuition difference (with interest) instead returning for 3 years.

Yeah, I've decided to go to Pitt. I guess I won't be seeing you at Case, vc7777. Pitt decided to include a merit scholarship in my financial aid package, so that basically settled the issue for me :).

Yeah, I've decided to go to Pitt. I guess I won't be seeing you at Case, vc7777. Pitt decided to include a merit scholarship in my financial aid package, so that basically settled the issue for me :).

Sweet! You can't argue with a merit scholarship. Nice!

Well good luck at Pitt. I really enjoyed my interview there, and I think people are attracted to both programs for similar reasons. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.