Musty Goose

7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2012
On the road
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So I know this may seem inconsequential but I just want to make the best of my summer in preparing an app for residency, especially as step becomes P/F for my class. I am pretty set in Ophtho so I want to get as much research under my belt as possible. Also I want to start developing relationships with mentors that can write strong LORs and are well known in their field. I have two possible summer opportunities.

The first summer program is at the NIH at the National Eye Institute, with the internship being 100% virtual. Has anyone has done a virtual internship before? The researchers seem to be productive but I'm primarily worried I won't be able to connect with my PI and therefore be unable to ask for a LOR later. However I do like that I will be able to conduct research remotely and potentially throughout the school year.

The second research opportunity is at a top 5 school but it is an unrelated field that I might be able to spin towards Ophtho. It is in person and may be able to network with other faculty but not sure how beneficial this may be as a rising M2? For those that applied to competitive fields this year, how was research in a different field seen by PDs? What program do you think I should take?

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.