SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

help me choose my job!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by hueydueyluey, May 2, 2007.

1. hueydueyluey

hueydueyluey

Feb 6, 2007
    Hi everyone!!

A little background: I graduated from UCLA with a degree in English. Worked in a biochemistry lab for 4 years at first to pay for school and eventually was able to do research and learn biochemistry principles. However I did not take extensive coursework in any of the sciences. I have started going back to school at the local community college and am taking a full course load to do the prerequisites. Starting slow with the chemistry and supplemental classes such as Econ, Psychology, Speech...etc. Also started volunteering at an outpatient pharmacy at UCSD hospital.

I currently work fulltime as a biochemist for a biotech. I have been working for over a year now. I work with immunology and essentially conjugate flourochromes to antibodies for specificity testing.

Just recently I have seen a job opening for a "lab analyst." The job is part time for the water company and basically I would ride around in a motor boat, collect water samples, and test them using chemical principles. Of course the job would also include all the minor chemistry work that everyone does such as cleaning glassware and preparation of media and so forth.

Would I do a disservice to myself by going from a large biotech as a biochemist to this new job? I am really blessed and thank God as I am able to go to work full time and still take a full load of classes. But later when I take the physics, biologies, and microbios, I am unsure how full time work may affect my performance. In terms of making myself "look the best" I possibly can as I prepare myself to apply to pharmacy school next year, should I keep my current job?? Or apply to the part time job and focus on taking more classes?? What would look better...biochemist or lab analyst? Any advice would be much appreciated!! Many blessings to you all, and thank you in advance!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Dr.Biassi

Dr.Biassi 2+ Year Member

Sep 22, 2006
    The Biochemistry job will look better on you application and it is for a pharmaceutical company. That will look great in your applcation. When you take your science courses just make sure you don't like three to four at a time and you will just do fine!!!!

4. pion

pion 10+ Year Member

Sep 6, 2006
    AZ
    Assuming the pay is roughly comparable, I would take the job that gives you flexibility in attending school. Pharmacy schools won't care that much about what you did for a living as long as the rest of your application is solid.