Help me choose... Pharm D at TX Tech or Univ of Houston?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robert Snider

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to the Pharm D program at both Texas Tech and the Univ of Houston. Which school should I attend?

Members don't see this ad.

Houston because Texas Tech grads are brainless.

/opinion

I would pick UH, their NAPLEX passing rates are higher than Texas Tech.

Members don't see this ad :)
ttu= higher ranking
uh= houston is big city, u might be able to get better IPPE n APPE rotations and experinces

As a (probably biased) UH pharmacy student, I would say UH. Although the facilities aren't the newest or best looking, there are some great professors, very high NAPLEX pass rate (I believe 99% or higher), and UH has secured many great rotation sites in the Texas medical center (the largest med center in the US) and throughout TX and other states. All students are offered jobs before graduation, at least for the past few years. I don't know if it'll be the same job-wise when I graduate in 2011.

UH students get priority in most places for rotation sites over other TX pharmacy schools from what I hear.

About the facilities: we have a new dean that's working very hard on getting a new building for all pharmacy students. Right now, the way it's set up is that during P1 and P2 years, you're at the UH main campus and for your P3 year, we're at the building in the medical center. The dean is trying to get a central building for all students in the TX med ctr.

The curriculum is of course very challenging, but it more than prepares you for the NAPLEX.

I don't know what tuition is at Tech, but at UH it's about $6000 - 6400 per semester which isn't too bad considering some of the rates at some other schools.

Also, Houston is awesome. It has many places to go/hang out/study, and a lot of the apartments in the area, even around the med center, are reasonably priced.

As a (probably biased) UH pharmacy student, I would say UH. Although the facilities aren't the newest or best looking, there are some great professors, very high NAPLEX pass rate (I believe 99% or higher), and UH has secured many great rotation sites in the Texas medical center (the largest med center in the US) and throughout TX and other states. All students are offered jobs before graduation, at least for the past few years. I don't know if it'll be the same job-wise when I graduate in 2011.

UH students get priority in most places for rotation sites over other TX pharmacy schools from what I hear.

About the facilities: we have a new dean that's working very hard on getting a new building for all pharmacy students. Right now, the way it's set up is that during P1 and P2 years, you're at the UH main campus and for your P3 year, we're at the building in the medical center. The dean is trying to get a central building for all students in the TX med ctr.

The curriculum is of course very challenging, but it more than prepares you for the NAPLEX.

I don't know what tuition is at Tech, but at UH it's about $6000 - 6400 per semester which isn't too bad considering some of the rates at some other schools.

Also, Houston is awesome. It has many places to go/hang out/study, and a lot of the apartments in the area, even around the med center, are reasonably priced.

What she said. Also did you like the area when you went there to interview? Most people would agree there isn't much to do in Amarillo, but if you come from a small town you may not mind it. I would go with UH though.

I'm about to finish up at Tech, the education is great, very clinically minded (I suppose most schools are though), you can spend your 3rd/4th year in Dallas, Amarillo, or Lubbock, or do all 4 in Abilene (I don't highly recommend this idea).

I dunno about NAPLEX rates and all that, but if after 4 years here you can't pass it, it's probably on you, not the school. I know very little of UH except that it's a good school and you'll get a good education at either place. I would probably pick wherever you'd be more comfortable in terms of geography and the "feel" you got from your interviews.

I know Tech has a few different international rotations you can do in your 4th year (Costa Rica, Japan, Germany) that some of my classmates did and loved. Also, I don't know about UH, but Tech has among the most rotation hours in the nation so you don't HAVE to get internship/externship for school hours, which may be a plus. (4 P3 and 8 P4 rotations, 6 weeks each)

Moved to pre-pharm. School choice questions are pre-pharm in nature. The topic, not the audience, is the determining factor.