help me choose schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ei8htt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
California resident here applying to medical school this year (late I know). I have most of my stuff in. The reason for being late was because I had to retake the MCAT.

cGPA:3.5
sGPA:3.4

My score from the first MCAT was 25Q (B10, P7 V8). Anyways, here's a list of schools and I'm going to apply to all CA schools however I'm clueless when it comes to OOS schools.

Albany
Boston Uni
UCLA
UCSF
UC irvine
UC davis
USC
University of Michigan

My question is, what schools (~10) should I add to the list?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you score a 32 or better on the retake, I think that DO schools are a more appropriate niche for you. If you get a 32+, then we can give you more suggestions.

thanks for the input. i wasn't trolling haha. i retook it on july31 so scores won't be out for a while. i'll bump this thread when they do come out tho :)

haha right now i'll consider just about anything. also, this summer is the the summer between my 3rd and 4th year in college so if worse comes to worse, i'll just apply again next year.

Another question: what do people normally do in their year off? masters? travel? relax?

If they have a good app, they'll probably just chill or travel. If they need to improve something they'll do something like an SMP, research, etc.

University of Michigan is a super-reach. You are in the bottom 10th percentile as of GPA and will need an MCAT of at least 35+ and super EC's to even stand a chance their with that low of a GPA. If your MCAT ends up being around 30-33 and you do have really good EC's I would add Wayne State. They have a very respectable med-school and is much easier to get into than U of M. They tend to look at the whole overall applicant and not just GPA and MCAT, but your GPA is still even very low for their standards. Good luck!