Help me compare these match lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school has better reputation & match results?

• Tulane

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Vermont

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

psswrd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The consensus around here is that match lists are basically meaningless for picking schools. Are you interested in research? Which school is cheaper? Where do you feel you might "fit" better?

The consensus around here is that match lists are basically meaningless for picking schools. Are you interested in research? Which school is cheaper? Where do you feel you might "fit" better?
+1

I would also say look at how the grading is at the schools (ie pass/fail or abcd)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not asking about the "fit". No one can help me with that. I wanted to know about their match reputation.
I would say their match "reputation" is the same. Both schools have a lot of IM, FM, peds, etc. however, I'd say Vermont matches mostly in the NE and Tulane in the Deep South

Comparing match lists is almost useless, as others have pointed out. Different schools can attract students that have different residency goals, skewing their lists. For example, UMN-Duluth is geared towards rural/family medicine so obviously their list will be less speciality heavy than a larger research school.

they are similar enough that you should judge based on which school you think you will do better in. if you have an idea of what you want to do you could perhaps look if that school has a stronger program in that particular area.

The Tulane list has slightly more big name residency programs (at least in the specialty I'm most familiar with--Peds), but for all intents and purposes, the lists are the same. Both have a regional bias (lots of people from UVM going to Maine and lots of people from Tulane staying at Tulane), but they match all over. Tulane seems to have more military people, but they also have more people in the class in general. So, I'd say look at which part of the country you're more likely to want to do residency.

In terms of IM residencies, tulane blows UVM away. Overall, Tulane has a stronge list.

The Tulane match is better, despite having twice as many matches.

Notable Tulane IM matches
Tippy-Top tier matches (2): Johns Hopkins Hospital, U Penn (HUP) Stanford x 2, OHSU x 3, UW, Michigan, UTSW, Beth israel Deaconess (Harvard), UCLA
Excellent matches(3)- Baylor, Emory, Vanderbilt

Notable UVM
Top teir (4)- Mayo UW, UTSW x 2
Excellent matches (4)- Baylor, UNC, UVA x 2

Tippy top tier- Tulane 12, UVM 5
Excellent- Tulane 3, UVM 4

Last edited:
The Tulane list has slightly more big name residency programs (at least in the specialty I'm most familiar with--Peds), but for all intents and purposes, the lists are the same. Both have a regional bias (lots of people from UVM going to Maine and lots of people from Tulane staying at Tulane), but they match all over. Tulane seems to have more military people, but they also have more people in the class in general. So, I'd say look at which part of the country you're more likely to want to do residency.

Tulane is a particularly military friendly school though, so they probably have more veterans in their class than your typical med school.

I love the idea of doing residency at Tripler Army Medical Center in Honolulu hehe