1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

HELP ME CRAM IN SOME EC's before I apply!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by leaveit2rani, Aug 3, 2011.

1. leaveit2rani

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    heres the deal.. i just finished my first year of undergrad and I had a bunch of AP credits back from high school in bio, econ, chem, etc.. it looks like i will finish all classes for my bio degree by the end of my 3rd year. so it would make sense to take the MCAT this year and probably apply during Fall 2012. lets assume i get a 3.9+ gpa and a 33+ MCAT. problem is i have no volunteer work, hospital experience, etc...

I need to know how I can cram in a bunch of stuff before the application deadline next year. I know this sounds kind of stupid, but who would take the extra year after getting their degree and MCAT score to apply?

I'm really just aiming for instate (michigan) so U of M, michigan state, and wayne state is pretty much what i am looking at.

im guessing volunteer at a hospital/shadowing would be the first thing, but how do i get into research programs, and what else should i do?

you guys seem to have done it all, so im sure you can help. thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

4. desi0chick

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Some people do take a year off and I'm sure med schools would be able to know you "crammed" your ECs in. But I think you should get some clinical exposure-- volunteering at a hospital would be a good start. But imo, you should take your time, it would only make you a better applicant. And lastly don't over do your ECs..quality>quantity, do what interests you the most.

5. hiyaman

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You don't need to cram in anything... You have 2 years left on undergrad if you do decide to graduate early. That is plenty of time to do extracurricular activities.

6. tn4596

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you have a lot of time ahead.
    I was in your shoe, 2 semester of AP credit allow me to finish college in 3 years. Now I about to start my 3rd year. Focus on learning about urself and figure out if medicine is really for you right now. Trust me, that is more important. Also, keep your gpa up so even if you decide if medicine is not for you later, you will still have option.
    I would not suggest finishing college in 3 year and then go straight to med school. You simply will be missing out a lot if you do so. The rigor of finihsing all your prereq on your 1st year, taking mcat on your 2nd year (if you plan to score high on mcat, you either have to take mcat on the summer after ur freshman year or having a really light schdule during a semester); and then applying the next summer, going to interview on your 3rd year. You simply wont have time to enjoy yourself. While all your friend is out haivng the time of their life, you would be in ur room studying. Undergrad should be the best years of your life. 10 year from now, you will def regret it.

7. thelens

Pre-Medical
    I agree with Hiyaman. You have plenty of time. Start looking up hospital/clinic volunteer opportunities near your school now. They usually provide contact information and often have limited space for students, so contact them over the summer. As to research, e-mail every professor working on something you're interested in if you want to be involved during the year. You can also go the summer route, freeing up time for other activities during the year, and apply for a program or internship.

Shadowing, tutoring and having a job are all great, too. But, the most important thing is to find something you're really passionate/interested in. Every school has an excess of clubs, so there's bound to be something you love. Not only will you have fun, but it's a unique little twist on your application to work on the school newspaper or be really involved with the Japanese club. Plus, getting involved in clubs now means potentially having a leadership position there in the future.

This applies to volunteering as well. I love working with kids, so I work with them at the local homeless center and a preschool. I'm interested in working with the underserved, so I work at a free clinic and am helping build a food co-op project with community members. (Etc.)

You don't even have to dedicate much time per week to any one activity. But finding ECs you love will make your undergrad life way more interesting, anyway.

Also, entering med school after three years of undergrad sounds like suicide to me. Take a year off to work/volunteer/do something interesting, and enjoy the amazing junction of independence and sanctified selfishness that is college.

8. flatearth22

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
  9. haha amen brother.

10. leaveit2rani

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    thanks flatearth for pointing that out lol... im pretty sure im done with pharm. its really between dentistry and doctor right now.. but im leaning a little towards dentistry.. thanks guys, but if it might take an extra 4 years to be a general practice doctor, i think i would rather go dentistry, im not sure what i like still, but i gotta admit that its not going to school for a long, long time.

11. flatearth22

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Def. shadow some docs before you make a decision. Also I don't think there is any time difference between becoming a general practitioner and a general dentist (pretty sure dentists go through 4 years of school and 3 years of residency, just like a general practitioner).

12. tn4596

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am quite sure in most state you dont need residency to practice as a dentist.
    Being in medicine is pretty much the harder path if you are not looking forward something else other than money.

13. GermKiller76

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Guys one question, is Dentistry really worth it, i like it and all, but would it always stay up and running even in economic downfalls.
    Becoming a doctor is soooo confusing because theirs so many options. Ahhhhhhhhh!!!

#12 GermKiller76, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011