Help me decide between LLU and Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakersfanpharmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to rank my three choices: USC, Western, and LLU. My first choice is USC because it has a great reputation in this region, lots of networking, and is ranked #15 according to US News 2008.

I am a little undecided on my second top choice. For LLU and Western, I plan on saving $$ on food/rent and commute to these schools. LLU is 40 min away, while Western is only 14 min away. I know that Western offers a unique things such as the block-system and interprofessional education, while LLU offers a smaller class size (75 compared to 120 at Western) and a Christian atmosphere, something that I prefer (I'm Catholic). Their pharmacy schools are both rather new (Western in 2000, LLU in 2002), so I can't find any rankings on US News for them. Loma Linda does sound like the bigger name, but it's only because of its medical center and medical school. But we're talking about pharmacy here...

For my career, I am looking to go into hospital pharmacy or specialize in infectious diseases, and I want to practice in Southern CA. So can you guys provide your feedback on these two schools (LLU and Western) for me? Which one would you choose, and why?

Any opinions are welcome, whether you're biased or unbiased, pre-pharmacy or current student at LLU/Western, or a pharmacist. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would go to Western as my number 1 choice, and that could be that I am an alumni. Western has an excellent faculty and support system. If you want to specialize in ID, they have excellent ID professors. Granted they were PGY2 trained by world renowned ID pharmacist at USC, but they again they are teaching at western. Actually one of the ID professors I would consider my mentor, as i am now an ID pharmacist. LLU is new, nothing wrong with being new, but that always means they are still trying to fight for rotations faculty etc. USC is good for the name and reputation, but Western still provides just as good education. Overall, I think Western is building a good reputation in southern Cali and neighboring states. Anyways that's my 2 cents. if you have any questions just ask.

Great, thanks for your feedback DrgsRmyLife. I really like Western's curriculum and friendly supportive atmosphere. Seems like they are really both great schools, and that I can't really go wrong with either...