Help me decide between schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scienceolympian

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been fortunate to have had multiple interviews this cycle. I've interviewed at NSU KPCOM, ARCOM, UPKYCOM, NOORDA COM, ICOM, and have one coming up in January for UNECOM. I've been waitlisted at NSU, accepted at ARCOM and UPKYCOM and waiting for decisions for the rest of the schools. I'm leaning towards UNECOM or NSU KPCOM, but with the schools I do have decisions from I was trying to view the pros and cons. Can anyone offer thoughts on which school would be better, curriculum wise and for potentially specializing in non-primary care

ARCOM
pros:
  • cheaper
  • bigger city than Pikesville
  • better housing opportunities
Cons:
  • newer school
  • less research opportunities
  • mandatory classes
  • dress code
UPKYCOM

pros:
  • attendance not mandatory after first semester
  • more established school
  • better research opportunities
Cons:
  • very rural community
  • more expensive
  • dress code

Members don't see this ad.

Arcom to my knowledge hasn't graduated a class yet. So their match rate is unknown. After 3 classes, they are probably still getting their act together with respect to classes and rotations. I never endorse new schools unless you have no other options. As far as dress code and attendance, I don't consider them a con, just a minor inconvenience. Its only for like 20 months. I believe most med schools require professional dress on rotations in 3rd and 4th year, unless the rotations are hospital based and scrubs are provided. Good luck no matter what you choose!

Reactions: 2 users
As someone who has friends attending the new DO schools, absolutely avoid them at all costs. The stories I hear are scary about inept instructors, assessments, and rotation sites. If you have the chance to attend a more established school you need to go for it especially since you indicated interest in non-primary care.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I'm a first year at ARCOM and have been pleased with my experience thus far. Feel free to DM me if you have any Qs.

Reactions: 1 user