• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

medicalCPA

Actually, it's medicalCPA, PhD now
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2007
NYC, Baby!
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I've been accepted by both schools. I was really impressed by Creighton's facilities and its Jesuit values, and it looks like it would be a wonderful place to go to school. However, so does WVU. I didn't much care for Morgantown, but almost any place would be better than where I currently go to school. If I end up going to WVU, it would cost me about $50,000 less than Creighton, even though I will be paying nonresident tuition (I will still owe over $100,000 at the end, however).

What else can I use to differentiate both schools apart from cost? Those of you who currently attend WVU or Creighton (campus), did you turn down other places to go there? Why? What do you like about it? What do you not like about it? And those of you who turned down Creighton, why did you do so, other than because it would cost a ton? And if there's anyone who had to make my kind of decision, why did you choose one school over the other? Thanks...

RxWildcat

Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
If it were me, the deciding factor would definitely be my surroundings, like which place I'd enjoy living more. I've never been to Nebraska (I think thats where Creighton is?) but I've been to W. VA and I can tell you that it's not for me. Theres lots of opiate abuse there and in eastern KY, so you might want to factor that in b/c you'll likely deal opiate abusers at some point in your schooling there, whether it'd be during rotations or if you had a pharmacy job (and they aren't the friendliest pts typically).

PharmDBee

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I'm not sure RxWildcat knows what he's talking about. I'm attending WVU for undergrad at the time and will be starting pharmacy school there this fall. Morgantown is unlike the majority of the state. It's a college town with over 28,000 students so you will find diversity here. The opiate abuse comment is rather bizarre. I have lived in WV my whole life and have never heard of this area being associated with heavy opiate abuse. You are going to have abusers everywhere and you will see them in every pharmacy.

I can't imagine Nebraska and WV being that different. Don't get me wrong: I'm not a huge fan of WV either and plan to leave after I graduate. However, it's a great place to go to college and is a very safe town. I don't consider myself a typical West Virginian but I get along great here in Morgantown (unlike my hometown in central WV.) haha.

Go where you will feel comfortable! Don't choose WVU only because it is cheaper!

About the Ads

medicalCPA

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2007
NYC, Baby!
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Go where you will feel comfortable! Don't choose WVU only because it is cheaper!

That's why I'm asking for help. However, money is a strong reason, since I will have to take out private loans for my entire pharmacy school education (I'm an international student, so I don't qualify for government loans).

PharmDBee

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I understand completely. WVU was the only place I applied to for two reasons: 1) my boyfriend is in med school here 2) i have a full tuition scholarship for all 4 years. So, yeah, money was a major reason for chosing WVU. But, since I'm happy here now it wasn't a problem not looking at other places either. Plus I knew I had an excellent chance of getting in here.

You've discussed liking the campus at Creighton. What about their program? Are there major differences between their program and WVU's? If you're interested in doing research while in pharmacy school I know that it is very easy to do so at WVU. Since WVU's Health Sciences Center houses Dentistry, Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, and Physical Therapy there are tons of professors to work with. It's also a nice environment there with all the other health sciences professional students.

I've been accepted by both schools. I was really impressed by Creighton's facilities and its Jesuit values, and it looks like it would be a wonderful place to go to school. However, so does WVU. I didn't much care for Morgantown, but almost any place would be better than where I currently go to school. If I end up going to WVU, it would cost me about $50,000 less than Creighton, even though I will be paying nonresident tuition (I will still owe over $100,000 at the end, however).

What else can I use to differentiate both schools apart from cost? Those of you who currently attend WVU or Creighton (campus), did you turn down other places to go there? Why? What do you like about it? What do you not like about it? And those of you who turned down Creighton, why did you do so, other than because it would cost a ton? And if there's anyone who had to make my kind of decision, why did you choose one school over the other? Thanks...

Follow your heart, you know what you want better than anyone.

You should go to WVU (just kidding, the fact that I'm on the Creighton waitlist may have something to do with that statement:smuggrin:)

I can imagine that the weather is much different in Morgantown than it is in Omaha, you may want to factor that in to your decision. In all seriousness, if you want to learn about American history, WVU is centrally located between many historical places...(within a couple hundred miles)

Good luck in whatever you choose...and hopefully we'll be classmates if you end up at Creighton!

medicalCPA

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2007
NYC, Baby!
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Follow your heart, you know what you want better than anyone.

I do know what I want: I want to be an infectious disease pharmacist (looking at a 2 year residency), probably get an MPH degree, and work in places with poor healthcare access. If one or the other school will be better for this, then that's probably where I should go. Creighton has infectious disease rotations as curriculum electives, and it has a program called ILAC, where you get to do a rotation in the Dominican Republic. WVU will probably have no shortage of infectious diseases in its hospital, and I could probably get that sort of exposure there. It also has rural rotations, which are geared toward underserved populations. Both, it seems, send people on to some good residencies.

So my decision is still hard...Although, if a pharmacy school offered me a full tuition scholarship I would go there, even if it were in a jungle.:laugh:

RxWildcat

Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I'm not sure RxWildcat knows what he's talking about. I'm attending WVU for undergrad at the time and will be starting pharmacy school there this fall. Morgantown is unlike the majority of the state. It's a college town with over 28,000 students so you will find diversity here. The opiate abuse comment is rather bizarre. I have lived in WV my whole life and have never heard of this area being associated with heavy opiate abuse. You are going to have abusers everywhere and you will see them in every pharmacy.

I haven't been there for any extended period of time, but I was mainly commenting on my experience with the eastern KY area (and I am NOT saying this area is bad or filled with a bunch of abusers, etc.) but there is a higher percentage of drug diversion in the appalachian area when compared to other areas in the US. It would just be another factor to consider when choosing an area to practice in. I for one would never in a million years want to practice community pharmacy in that area, but hey, maybe thats just me.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.