Help Me Decide (DO): RVU-CO vs KCU-KC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Severus_Snape

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I've been fortunate to have garnered multiple acceptances this cycle and have a couple weeks to decide which school to put a deposit down to before I hear from other medical schools (MD and DO alike).

These schools have similarities in that they employ the same curriculum, either require every student to take USMLE (RVU) or really encourage it (KCU). They both have satellite campuses now, for RVU in Utah and KCU in Joplin.

I've heard and read some problems with the satellite campuses, particularly when it increases the class size. This seems to be quite apparent with KCU, where now between the two campuses they have 450 students. RVU has about doubled their class size as well, now with 300 students or so.

I really enjoyed both interviews, and with the same curriculum what it seems to come down to is (a) the history of KCU and its graduates versus (b) the early reputation of RVU.

With that, I've also seen that KCU may be decreasing the dedicated time for boards, and the overall stress level seems to be higher there than at RVU. On the flip side, KCU's campus was nicer. Both schools are in big cities for my significant other to find a job.

Which brings me to another point - having to potentially move multiple times for rotations during years 3 and 4, either uprooting my family or living away from them for some time.

Ideally, I want to attend a school that will let me match into a great residency in the Midwest (particularly in large cities like Chicago/Milwaukee/Indianapolis/St Louis). With that, I also want to be given the best chance of possibly staying in one city all 4 years for classes and rotations.

So, what gives?

Additionally - I've been waitliested at DMU and MUCOM, and have yet to hear from an MD school I interviewed at. The deposit for RVU is $250 by 12/14 and then another $750 in January.... for KCU it is $1000 by 12/14.

Members don't see this ad.

MD>>>>>DMU>>RVU>KCU. I dont know much about Marian.
Mostly opinion, ciriculums are going to be too similar. You should take USMLE either way...

MD>>>>>DMU>>RVU>KCU. I dont know much about Marian.
Mostly opinion, ciriculums are going to be too similar. You should take USMLE either way...
Not saying this because I go to KCU, but because I asked experienced people on here the same exact question last year when I was accepted to KCU, RVU-CO, and was trying to decide whether I should cancel my DMU interview or not. Most people told me KCU > DMU > RVU.

To the OP-- board time isn't really decreasing, they just added a course to prep us for clinicals for 2 weeks after the semester ends. You only have to be on campus for a couple of hours a week, from my understanding. Also, it's kind of silly to weigh this too much because it could change by the time my time for dedicated roles around, so who knows what it'll be like by the time you get there. These things are always changing.

I'll also note that the two campus thing hasn't really been a problem this year-- they learned from any issues they had last year, and things have been much smoother. It's kind of nice to have 2 professors for resources.

At the end of the day, all 3 are good schools. Find the one that's the best fit for you and don't drive yourself crazy second-guessing it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
KCU has pros over DMU and vice versa.
They are very similar and differ in slight ways so the difference will be subjective.
I should have stated that before just slapping in my opinion.

What are the differences?
Well for one, it's a totally different curriculum.
Both are great schools, especially for someone interested in staying in the midwest as OP stated. It's really a personal preference thing between these two.

Well for one, it's a totally different curriculum.
Both are great schools, especially for someone interested in staying in the midwest as OP stated. It's really a personal preference thing between these two.
How different? I thought DMU changed curriculum to the same one as kcu/rvu

KCU has pros over DMU and vice versa.
They are very similar and differ in slight ways so the difference will be subjective.
I should have stated that before just slapping in my opinion.

So why RVU over KCU as in your first post? Just wondering as those are the 2 schools I may have to choose where to put a deposit down (because I'm waitlisted right now at DMU and MUCOM)

Honestly they are both roughly equal and you should deposit on which one you get better about. I interviewed at KCU KC, but later got accepted to DMU so I didn’t go to RVU.