SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by sunwoongc, Jul 18, 2001.

1. OK, I've got a major dilemma here. I have been accepted to Boston U Dental and have been preparing to go there for the past month or so. I've got a studio leased and all financial aid paperworks are all worked out. But today, I've got a call from USC saying that I got accepted at the last minute. So, my question is if I want to ultimately practice in CA, how much of an advantage will attending USC give me over attending BU. I understand that there are issues with taking Cali board exams if you are from out of state. My friend and his friends attending UCLA dental school advised me to attend USC for various reasons. What do you guys think? Is taking Cali board exam much more difficult if you are coming from out of state? How about once you pass the test? How much more difficulties would I face in establishing my pracitice in CA, if I attended BU? My heart says attend BU as my girlfriend will also attend there, but my brain says otherwise....I am so confused. Any opinions will be appreciated.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. windycity

windycity Junior Member

Jul 17, 2001
    Crap, sucks to be you!!! That is confusing!

I think you should do what your brain tells you. Its your dream to become a dentist, right? And its your dream to practice in California, correct? So, go to USC. Its probably cheaper for you than going to BU (a private school) and you'll still get the DMD (or is it a DDS?) degree. Plus, USC probably has greater name recognition on the west coast than BU, so that would probably impress potential clientele.

I'm not from California, so I can't tell you how hard it is to get a license there.

4. hunk22

hunk22 Member 7+ Year Member

May 20, 2001
    Go with what your heart tells you, your gut feeling and u will be fine. keep me posted.
  5. makebelieve

makebelieve Junior Member

Jul 15, 2001
    go to the one that's going to cost u less. i don't think coming back is a problem since i know a lot of my friends that have gone to out of state dental skools and came back to cal to pratice. one thing bout usc is that it's pbl system so i don't know whether or not that's to ur taste. i was going to say that usc is freaking expense but since bu is also kinda expensive (but i think usc is more expensive than bu) i guess it boils down to the cost of living. i heard bu is easy so if u like easy skool than go for it. if both skools cost bout the same and u don't mind pbl than stay in cal cuz why travel when u don't have to. plus...why would u want to go to such a cold place when u can stay in sunny socal...hummmm :D
  6. RacerDude2249

RacerDude2249 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 19, 2001
    New York
    Hi Steve,

Regarding your dilemma, if I had to choose between the two schools, I would choose USC for a few different reasons. For starters, it has a solid reputation. Next, it has a beautiful facility, respected faculty, and the location is ideal--it is on the east side of downtown L.A. so it draws a huge population base for clinical work. Also, I hear that the graduates of USC all do quite well and have no problem finding good jobs with very competitive salaries. Furthermore, the weather is awesome--you can't beat the Southern California weather. The only drawback that I see is the price--it is steep, but then again so is Boston's price. As for your girlfriend, UNLESS you have a serious commitment with her, I would not base your decision on her. I know that sounds bad, but I've seen too many guys and girls let their dreams slip away because of a relationship that most of the time doesn't work out anyway. Well, the bottom line as the above posts have mentioned is that it comes down to YOU. You have to think where you will be the most comfortable and where you think you will be the most happy. Good luck with your decision.

7. pn229

pn229 Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Do you guys really know what you guys are talking about? USC has one of the most highest tuition. It's located in a really bad neighbrohood in LA, a dentist whom I worked with said during his schooling day, he felt unsafe walking to his car at night. He stated that many of his classmates did not have enough patients to finish their requirements so have to stay additional years, or have had to post ads on the newspaper to get patients to get those requirements done. That means paying patients to get dental treatement...sad hah? This is not an exageration , just what I have picked up from students and past graduates. But the weather in Southern Cali is great, and one does have the advantage of being taught West coast type preps and philosophy. So up to you.
  8. dwstranger

dwstranger Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bethlehem, PA
    Well, as a BU alum (B.S. and M.S.) and former CA resident, I gotta say this is a tough one. As far as price -- I'm not up on which costs more -- but they're both up there. I lived in CA for 10 years; the last three were in a neighborhood adjacent to USC. I think that (no disrespect to pn229s friend), you don't have to worry about the neighborhood that much. Yeah, there's gangs and violence there. But, as with anywhere, you just have to be cognizant of your surroundings and walk with a "don't mess with me" attitude. Just be sensible. I agree with other posters: if you want to practice in CA eventually, you should probably head to "SC."

[But I still gotta say, "Go Terriers!"] :D
  9. Gil

Gil Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 20, 2001
    SF, California
    I'm going to UOP Dental in SF, CA. One thing I secretely heard from some of the doctors at the school is that preferential treatment is given to CA graduates during the California boards. One the other hand I know a couple of dentists that graduated from Boston and are practicing in CA, and I know USC grads who took a couple of tries to pass the CA boards. Regarding your girlfriend, I know that at least half (maybe more) of my classmates that started out with long distance relationships ended their relationships by the 1st year. It seemed like the ones that did stay together ended up engaged, married, or living together.
  10. RacerDude2249

RacerDude2249 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 19, 2001
    New York

To respond to your post, the info. you provided is definitely focusing on the extreme cases of USC. Yes, it is in a bad neighborhood, but not horrible. I've visited the school a few times and I felt alright as did a few of my friends who spent four years there as undergraduates. There is a "designated" four block perimeter around the school that is considered to be very safe because a surplus of police patrol that area. My friends who attended USC as do two current dental students I spoke with all said that they have never felt like they were in a compromising position in which they felt unsafe, threatened, etc. As for dental students not being able to finish their requirements, I find that very difficult to believe only because USC is located in a low-income neighborhood. If you were to compare USC with UCLA which is only about 25 miles away, the ton of UCLA students I have spoken with stated that they never have problems finding patients--and UCLA is located in an affluent neighborhood. If UCLA dental students don't have problems finding patients, then it certainly makes me wonder why USC students have difficulty finding patients when their location would be more ideal for obtaining patients. As for the cost, as I stated in my original post, USC and Boston are very comparable in the price if I remeber correctly. They are both private schools. Lastly, I stated in my original post that USC is in an ideal location because it is in a low-income neighborhood--an area that allows easy access to many disadvantaged people who can't afford adequate health care. Anyway, as for Steve, good luck with your decision.