Help me decide Round 2: Eastern Virginia Medical School vs Saint Louis University SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdyotz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Round 1 saw EVMS knocking out Netter School of Medicine at Quinnipiac. Round 2... Fight!

Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS) - Norfolk, VA (245k COA total)

Pros:

- As a vet, I get in-state tuition (huge savings of ~20k a year over SLU. I did not receive any other scholarships).
- I enjoyed the current students and the few faculty that I spoke with
- Strong ultrasound and standardized patient programs within the first week.
- NBME test questions are 100% of the exams…. Which likely matters less now that Step 1 will be P/F.
- Higher step scores (likely due to 100% NBME exams)
- The children's hospital is cool.
- Beach nearby
- Recorded lectures
- UWorld included in tuition
- Pass/fail pre-clinical. H/HP/P/F for clinical.
- Earlier clinical experiences

Neutral:
- EVMS seems to be shorter commutes during clinical as it's primarily Sentara and then Children's Hospital of the Kings Daughters for peds. SLU has a few different sites, but commute does not seem excessive.
- I am not Jesuit, or even religious. I'm not turned off by other people's religions though and see this as a moot point.

Cons:
- The interview day was weird. We were left alone waiting in the hall for tour guides to show up. I’m hoping medical school is not run the same way.
- Larger class than I truly prefer.
- Slightly higher cost of living estimates (~2k a year)

Saint Louis University (SLU) - Saint Louis, MO (320k COA total)

Pros:

- Higher 'ranked' school
- More research opportunities (Though I have not done any real research - will likely be helpful for match) including through WashU
- Closer to family - day's drive vs a flight
- Went to college a few hours away, so aware of the area
- Recorded lectures
- Better match list (relatively subjective though)
- New hospital opening this year
- 20 month pre-clinical
- P/F pre-clinical. Honors/near honors/pass/fail for clinical. No rankings.
- Recorded lectures

Neutral:
- Slightly larger metro area, but with fewer cities within a short drive
- Professional sports. I can support the Blues (despite being a Blackhawks fan), but I will never be able to support the Cardinals (go cubbies!)

Cons:
- Higher tuition (~55k per year, pending financial aid information.)
- The interview day was also weird. I sat alone in a conference room until my first interview. After I returned, a few more applicants showed up, and eventually a short financial aid talk. I did not get a good chance to see how current students felt or what the faculty is like.
- Slightly larger classes at ~175 (vs 150). I prefer smaller class sizes, but this difference is not an issue.
- Colder and no ocean, though they do have underground tunnels (that are too hot) to some locations

I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and currently live in Phoenix. SLU would be a 5-hour drive back home and I have some friends that live in the area. I am on 3 waitlists, so things may change. Both have residency programs. Both have free clinics. Lecture attendance not required at both. I have not received financial aid info from SLU... hoping to get that prior to deciding.

Also, feel free to add other pros/cons that I may not have thought of. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I should something. I'm old (mid-30s) and looking at MSAR data, SLU has only matriculated 1 person over the age of 30 in the past 4 classes (last was back in 2017). I was expecting to be the oldest in my classes, but with no one over the age of 30 is a different story. Did anyone go through a similar situation and can offer advice? With work, relationships, and life in general, age has never been an issue for me, so I am probably just over-thinking things.

I received the financial aid package today. $0 in support. My decision is much harder now :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.