Help me decide: UTSA or Texas Tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koster35

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m an OOSer. I wouldn’t mind living in Lubbock, at all. Really, the only thing I am having a hard time with is deciding between the two schools themselves—their programs in particular. Any thoughts on which is the better program and/or which would be better for getting a good residency. I’m leaning towards cardio, neurology, or surgery.

Members don't see this ad.

How about for matching out of Texas?

UTSA. Although Tech did have an IM match to MGH I think last year which is pretty gnarly. You really can't go wrong with either choice. I would take into account where you would like to do your clinicals at. Both will have pretty different patient populations and if you're shooting for a more rural/midwest practice - I'd go Tech.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Long is generally considered the better school and San Antonio is generally considered the better city. Unless you had real reservations about your visit to San Antonio, it's not really that close a call.

Reactions: 1 user
Long is generally considered the better school and San Antonio is generally considered the better city. Unless you had real reservations about your visit to San Antonio, it's not really that close a call.
So there’s a factor of driving distance to our home in Utah (where my wife will be living for the first year—due to complications with pregnancy). San Antonio is 6 hours further from Utah than Lubbock.

Is there a real difference in the eyes of residencies outside of Texas between Tech and Long?

Wait--you're OOS for Texas, but managed to get two Texas As and no non-Texas As (assuming since you don't want to stay for residency)?

Wait--you're OOS for Texas, but managed to get two Texas As and no non-Texas As (assuming since you don't want to stay for residency)?
No I also got an acceptance to University of Rochester. It’s just super expensive in comparison to the Texas schools.

So there’s a factor of driving distance to our home in Utah (where my wife will be living for the first year—due to complications with pregnancy). San Antonio is 6 hours further from Utah than Lubbock.

Is there a real difference in the eyes of residencies outside of Texas between Tech and Long?
How often are you going to be making that drive? It looks pretty far regardless of Lubbock or SA. You may be able to get cheap flights which would be easier from SA.

San Antonio is definitely a better-regarded school.

Reactions: 2 users
Which school is better probably depends on what is important to you. 25 years ago I was accepted to both schools. I ended up going to Tech. I will spare you the details of the story. But the culture of the two is very different. Tech was easy going, lets get this done kind of place. UTSA was and is a rigid bureaucracy the envy of DMVs everywhere. I say "is" because my wife recently did a grad degree at UTHSCSA. She confirmed that nothing has changed. I can't say for sure that Tech hasn't changed but I doubt it. Culture tends to stick.

I’m an OOSer. I wouldn’t mind living in Lubbock, at all. Really, the only thing I am having a hard time with is deciding between the two schools themselves—their programs in particular. Any thoughts on which is the better program and/or which would be better for getting a good residency. I’m leaning towards cardio, neurology, or surgery.

In my opinion the established Texas state schools top 3 are UTSW, UTHSCSA, and UT Houston (Baylor being AMCAS. O and of course there is the new Dell program). I personally put south western at the top for research and prestige, then UTHSCSA ahead of McGovern (personal opinion based on location and culture. TMC gives some students more opportunities but SA is no slouch either, and having lived in Houston for a while I prefer SA personally. stats wise they’re a virtual tie, mcat at UTHSCSA is 516 vs 514 for McGovern while McGovern median gpa is slightly higher, step and match were fairly even over the past few years).

While tech is a fantastic program, in today’s Texas it is not as well equipped as the above 3 I’ve mentioned. Take UTHSCSA. And congrats on TWO Texas acceptances.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all so very much for commenting. These posts have helped like crazy. I’m going with San Antonio! Thanks again!!

Reactions: 5 users
In my opinion the established Texas state schools top 3 are UTSW, UTHSCSA, and UT Houston (Baylor being AMCAS. O and of course there is the new Dell program). I personally put south western at the top for research and prestige, then UTHSCSA ahead of McGovern (personal opinion based on location and culture. TMC gives some students more opportunities but SA is no slouch either, and having lived in Houston for a while I prefer SA personally. stats wise they’re a virtual tie, mcat at UTHSCSA is 516 vs 514 for McGovern while McGovern median gpa is slightly higher, step and match were fairly even over the past few years).

While tech is a fantastic program, in today’s Texas it is not as well equipped as the above 3 I’ve mentioned. Take UTHSCSA. And congrats on TWO Texas acceptances.
Completely disagree with this take (I don't go to tech so no bias)

Which school is better probably depends on what is important to you. 25 years ago I was accepted to both schools. I ended up going to Tech. I will spare you the details of the story. But the culture of the two is very different. Tech was easy going, lets get this done kind of place. UTSA was and is a rigid bureaucracy the envy of DMVs everywhere. I say "is" because my wife recently did a grad degree at UTHSCSA. She confirmed that nothing has changed. I can't say for sure that Tech hasn't changed but I doubt it. Culture tends to stick.
To add UTHSCA on the interview day did not give out a match list but assured us the students matched well, not sketchy at all. Your evaluation is what I felt about the same two school with the Tech students being more social and the UTHSCA students being a bit off

To add UTHSCA on the interview day did not give out a match list but assured us the students matched well, not sketchy at all. Your evaluation is what I felt about the same two school with the Tech students being more social and the UTHSCA students being a bit off

I interviewed at most of the Texas schools and what I wrote is just my opinion based on interview and outside research that I did, and again most of the factors are subjective. Most of the Texas programs have fairly equal outcome. Anyways, I interviewed fairly early at UTHSCSA and my friend way later, we both got a match list on interview day, it was in our packet. This year’s match list was broadcast live on their FB. Im not sure how you didn’t end up with the match list during your interview, it’s odd.

I interviewed at most of the Texas schools and what I wrote is just my opinion based on interview and outside research that I did, and again most of the factors are subjective. Most of the Texas programs have fairly equal outcome. Anyways, I interviewed fairly early at UTHSCSA and my friend way later, we both got a match list on interview day, it was in our packet. This year’s match list was broadcast live on their FB. Im not sure how you didn’t end up with the match list during your interview, it’s odd.
Very true. Ask 5 texans what their rankings are, get 5 completely different results. I interviewed there in August so maybe they just didn't have everything together.

the higher the MCAT avg the more off students are:lol:
I thought the students at Baylor were cool. My tour guide and people who showed me to my interviews at long could not hold a conversation or look me in the eyes while talking. I had a very weird experience at this school, maybe it was an outlier.

Thank you all so very much for commenting. These posts have helped like crazy. I’m going with San Antonio! Thanks again!!

Enjoy it. I'm sure you will get a great education. Just make sure all of your papers are in order, lol.

I thought the students at Baylor were cool. My tour guide and people who showed me to my interviews at long could not hold a conversation or look me in the eyes while talking. I had a very weird experience at this school, maybe it was an outlier.

I also found Baylor students to be great. But I had my best Texas interview at Long, with A&M a close second (I am not talking about the school ranking or curriculum here, just purely the interview day). My least favorites were at UTMB and McG, I think the former was also due to location, that part of Galveston is just not very charming. But again all of this is just personal opinion/taste. I heard a lot about UTSW being cutthroat etc but I also enjoyed my day there too. Tbh I was deeply impressed with all the Texas schools. I am technically a Texan now but I’m still fairly new to Texas, so it was a pleasant surprise to have so many strong options here.