Help me decide - WIU, Western(OR) or CCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldfish_goldfish

Reaction score
Hello SDN DO family,

To start this post, here are my stats:

LizzyM: 67
Undergrad (business double major no science GPA at all): 3.29
Grad (also business): 3.67
pb sGPA: 4.0

Grew up from China, moved to US when 18, LPR.
Worked in business as consultant for 2.5 years
healthcare volunteer 300 hours and 1.5 years
shadowing: MD for 30 hours and MD for 4 hours
1.5 years of science tutoring and 1 year of teaching English volunteering (400+hours)

All teaching/volunteering are done in various underrepresented communities.

My question here for who knows a little about these schools:
Are one of these school better than the other? In terms of quality of education, quality of students/faculty and qualities of residency/clinic rotations?

My personal preference is Western, because of the location (closer to my in-laws family and I love them, also because of my personal preference of Oregon), Should I consider other schools at all? Should I even try to get an offer from LECOM Bradenton from the alternate position they give me?

Any advice is appreciated! Thank you so much! <3

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'll just say WesternU Oregon is wayyyy to new. Places like that always have tremendous growing pains.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll just say WesternU Oregon is wayyyy to new. Places like that always have tremendous growing pains.

I think you’re confused on that, Western is “new” but it opened in 2011, has good comlex scores and residency placements. Solid program.

I think you’re confused on that, Western is “new” but it opened in 2011, has good comlex scores and residency placements. Solid program.
Oh God then it's even worse than I thought. When I was in the masters at Pomona professors were constantly taking about travelling up to the Lebanon campus, so for a lot of them their time was split between the two. I just assumed the Lebanon campus had to be super new due to that. Yikes, that's not good of they're still doing that. And I'd still consider 7 years to be too new but that's just me.

I’m not sure if you saw Goro’s list of reputable DO schools (see below for that list):

EDIT, I have high opinions of:

AZCOM
CCOM
DMU
KCOM
KCU
MUCOM
NYITCOM
PCOM
Touro-CA
TUNCOM
OHCOM
TCOM
VCOM
Western (both)
My own school

I don’t think you would go wrong with CCOM or Western, both are going to be better than UIW or LECOM. I don’t think Pomona professors commute to Lebanon, they do distance lectures between both campuses, but Western has a good reputation, solid comlex scores, good clinical sites and some really great residencies matches. I don’t know anything about CCOM. I would go with your gut on this one

I’m not sure if you saw Goro’s list of reputable DO schools (see below for that list):

EDIT, I have high opinions of:

AZCOM
CCOM
DMU
KCOM
KCU
MUCOM
NYITCOM
PCOM
Touro-CA
TUNCOM
OHCOM
TCOM
VCOM
Western (both)
My own school

I don’t think you would go wrong with CCOM or Western, both are going to be better than UIW or LECOM. I don’t think Pomona professors commute to Lebanon, they do distance lectures between both campuses, but Western has a good reputation, solid comlex scores, good clinical sites and some really great residencies matches. I don’t know anything about CCOM. I would go with your gut on this one

Thanks yo! This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Paid deposit to Western and ready to withdraw the rest. Thank you, @snowcrawler85 !