Help Me Decide: X vs Y Podiatry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The purpose of this thread is to help future students decide between one program to another. I will do my best to include older posts comparing two programs to this thread. Please use the search function. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone either confirm or deny the bad accusations at Barry? If I got accepted I would want to go there, but after reading these forums, I am very iffy on if that would be a bad decision.

Okay, so I got into Kent, DMU, and CSPM. I am deciding between CSPM and DMU.

CSPM: My grandmother lives 30 minutes away from campus so it would be somewhat doable to live with her and commute to school. Probably for the first year or semester I will get an apartment closer to school to feel out the commute. But in general, a big pro is the lower cost of living due to basically free-living costs. CSPM also does early clinical experience which I find as a pro. I know California has great residency programs and I am sure going to CSPM will give you an upper hand in matching (maybe I am wrong). The cons from what I can see are lower board passing rates and graduation rates in comparison with DMU. Also, on the flip side of Cali residency matching, I am worried that my choices might be more limited to Cali residencies, and in turn hard to find a job outside of Cali (I plan to live back in Texas). I am unsure if this is an irrational or unrealistic fear of mine.

DMU: Pros are that it seems to have amazing stats in graduation rate and board passing percentages. The faculty was also very nice and everyone seemed to really care about the students. It is also an integrated DO school which I feel could possibly be an advantage? It has a lower cost of living than Cali, but in Cali, with my grandmother, I would probably have lower than Iowa. The biggest con for me is that I know nobody in Iowa, never been to Iowa, and am nervous about all that.

Also, side note: obviously money is important and the more I can save the better, but due to life circumstances that happened to me, (that I will not get into), I can pay my tuition at either school without any debt. Although I would like to save money where I can, I am prioritizing the education part over the finances oddly enough. I got 5k scholarships for both schools.

If someone could weigh in and give me their opinion that would be helpful! The date for deposits is 10/19 and 11/2 for DMU and CSPM respectively.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so I got into Kent, DMU, and CSPM. I am deciding between CSPM and DMU.

CSPM: My grandmother lives 30 minutes away from campus so it would be somewhat doable to live with her and commute to school. Probably for the first year or semester I will get an apartment closer to school to feel out the commute. But in general, a big pro is the lower cost of living due to basically free-living costs. CSPM also does early clinical experience which I find as a pro. I know California has great residency programs and I am sure going to CSPM will give you an upper hand in matching (maybe I am wrong). The cons from what I can see are lower board passing rates and graduation rates in comparison with DMU. Also, on the flip side of Cali residency matching, I am worried that my choices might be more limited to Cali residencies, and in turn hard to find a job outside of Cali (I plan to live back in Texas). I am unsure if this is an irrational or unrealistic fear of mine.

Lower board pass rate:
- as previously stated many many times, board pass rates has more to do with how much the individual student prepares. Every school gives you the tools and time to pass boards. 99% of it depends on the student. Are they studying enough? Are they taking it seriously? Did they have personal problems that affected their studying? There are 3.8+ students failing on their first try and 2.8 students passing on their first try. Boards pass rate is extremely dependent on how hard the student trains to pass it

My choices might be more limited to Cali residencies:
- literally does not matter. Half our class and the 2 classes below us were from Texas. They end up any and everywhere. Residencies don't give a **** where you did schooling as long as 1) you meet minimum gpa requirements 2) worked hard during your month there 3) personality (showed an interest, normal human being, team player etc etc). Just because you go to a California school does not mean you are limited to California residencies. Absolute rubbish.

Other things to consider:
- where you think you want to end up for residency may not be what you feel after 4th year. I thought the same exact way. Completely different preferences now after visiting multiple programs. Students don't know jack **** about programs unless they are there in person. You think you know what you want going in- but you don't. You'll talk about all the California programs you're interested in or that sound cool from reading SDN or from listening to gossip. 2nd year you'll slowly learn a bit more being there in person for early clinic. 3rd year you'll start hearing things "Oh really? Program XYZ in reality sounds different from what I thought when I first started".

4th year you'll learn the truth by being there in person and hearing it from honest residents who aren't afraid to give you the real quick and dirty of each program.

Stop thinking like a premed. You will have different tastes, different preferences after you finish 3rd year.

The cost of living is a HUGE advantage to have, especially if you decide to go to CSPM. I go here currently and do not regret my decision. I'd do it again if I had to especially with rent covered.

Lower board pass rate:
- as previously stated many many times, board pass rates has more to do with how much the individual student prepares. Every school gives you the tools and time to pass boards. 99% of it depends on the student. Are they studying enough? Are they taking it seriously? Did they have personal problems that affected their studying? There are 3.8+ students failing on their first try and 2.8 students passing on their first try. Boards pass rate is extremely dependent on how hard the student trains to pass it

My choices might be more limited to Cali residencies:
- literally does not matter. Half our class and the 2 classes below us were from Texas. They end up any and everywhere. Residencies don't give a **** where you did schooling as long as 1) you meet minimum gpa requirements 2) worked hard during your month there 3) personality (showed an interest, normal human being, team player etc etc). Just because you go to a California school does not mean you are limited to California residencies. Absolute rubbish.

Other things to consider:
- where you think you want to end up for residency may not be what you feel after 4th year. I thought the same exact way. Completely different preferences now after visiting multiple programs. Students don't know jack **** about programs unless they are there in person. You think you know what you want going in- but you don't. You'll talk about all the California programs you're interested in or that sound cool from reading SDN or from listening to gossip. 2nd year you'll slowly learn a bit more being there in person for early clinic. 3rd year you'll start hearing things "Oh really? Program XYZ in reality sounds different from what I thought when I first started".

4th year you'll learn the truth by being there in person and hearing it from honest residents who aren't afraid to give you the real quick and dirty of each program.

Stop thinking like a premed. You will have different tastes, different preferences after you finish 3rd year.

The cost of living is a HUGE advantage to have, especially if you decide to go to CSPM. I go here currently and do not regret my decision. I'd do it again if I had to especially with rent covered.
Thanks for your imput

Can someone please help me decide between schools?

Okay, so I got accepted to Kent, Temple, Western, Samuel, and Midwestern. I’m choosing between MWU, western, and SMU. I live in AZ and l’m 20 mins away from MWU so I might just live at home with parents ( can save a lot that way) however, MWU did not offer me any scholarship and I think it has the highest tuition. Also, are the lectures at AZpod mandatory?

I grew up in CA, went to university there and I have a great friend group there and honestly I miss CA too so I think western might be cool and they gave me a scholarship ($3000) but when I think about it in terms of finances and stats, MWU will be cheaper and I think the stats are a bit higher but idk how well I will fit into MWU since I don’t think the class is super diverse.

With SMU, I think the small class size is great and it’s diverse but since it’s not integrated with DO students, I don’t know how I feel about that but they are giving me a scholarship (5000 each year depending on GPA). I always wanted to be near SF, it’s a beautiful city.

I feel like I’m all over the place but this really is one of the hardest decisions ever.

I will really appreciate any advice!

Thank you

Okay, so I got accepted to Kent, Temple, Western, Samuel, and Midwestern. I’m choosing between MWU, western, and SMU. I live in AZ and l’m 20 mins away from MWU so I might just live at home with parents ( can save a lot that way) however, MWU did not offer me any scholarship and I think it has the highest tuition. Also, are the lectures at AZpod mandatory?

I grew up in CA, went to university there and I have a great friend group there and honestly I miss CA too so I think western might be cool and they gave me a scholarship ($3000) but when I think about it in terms of finances and stats, MWU will be cheaper and I think the stats are a bit higher but idk how well I will fit into MWU since I don’t think the class is super diverse.

With SMU, I think the small class size is great and it’s diverse but since it’s not integrated with DO students, I don’t know how I feel about that but they are giving me a scholarship (5000 each year depending on GPA). I always wanted to be near SF, it’s a beautiful city.

I feel like I’m all over the place but this really is one of the hardest decisions ever.

Thank you
Not sure what the price of AZPOD is, but even if it has higher tuition, you will still probably be spending the same amount as you would in California just from the cost of living there. From my understanding AZPOD does not give scholarships, but the proximity of it to home and the fact that you would have a support group there with your parents seems like the smart move.

In terms of being integrated with DO students- who cares. You will get a good education to practice podiatric medicine at any of the nine schools I'm sure. Plus, smaller class size would probably be better anyway in my opinion.

Speaking on diversity, I am probably the least diverse student you can meet so take this with a grain of salt. If that is super important to you, check out Barry (believe they were ranked like top 5 most diverse school in the country). But in terms of fitting in, I am sure you will meet awesome people and friends no matter where you go. Just roll in, kick ass, and crush it.

Reactions: 5 users
In terms of being integrated with DO students- who cares.

What AJ said.

Stop thinking like a prepod/premed. No one gives a **** whether your school was integrated or not. Only time I've seen it brought up was among prepods/premeds for pissing contests.

Am at CSPM. Have clerked with kids from 8/9 schools. Am killing it even against schools who have an integrated curriculum. And honestly 99% of all the students I've met are really cool, helpful, and overall decent human beings.

Thank you
All great schools, but I would follow the money. I'd forget the other school's scholarship, they probably will not add to what you will save living at home. Plus MWU is a really good pod school, win win. You may be unhappy now not going to pod school in cali, but i think future you will be thankful.

Can someone help me decide between Kent State and CSPM?

I am from the Philadelphia area and need to decide between these schools. I am planning on taking the MCAT again in Jan prior to getting decisions from Scholl, Temple, NYCPM, and Western, but for now, I am planning on putting a deposit on one of these schools and depending on how the MCAT goes and future interviews, I may switch schools. I started a pro/con list but I would really appreciate all of your opinions because, compared to deciding for undergrad, this is the first time I have pretty evenly matched schools to decide from.

Kent State
Pro
-closer to home (6.5 hrs away but drivable)
-low cost of living
-larger school=larger network?
-Can bring a car to not rely on public transit

Cons
-larger class size of ~125
-clinical experience on paper seems less than other schools (being that the school is outside of Cleveland and they start clinicals exposure in 3rd yr after boards. When I spoke with a 2nd year student ambassador about clinicals, he didn't really know much about the school's affiliations or the rotation process which made me a bit concerned)
-One time 2.5k scholarship (not really a con, but it is less than CSPM and future scholarships are not guaranteed unless I am in the top 10%)

CSPM
Pro
-5k renewable scholarship with gpa maintenance
-Smaller class size of ~45 (tighter community and easier to maintain relationships with professors?)
-Earlier clinical exposure during 2nd year (possibly more variety of patients being in the city?)
-way better weather :)

Cons
-living costs are high, and even higher if you want to live outside of Oakland
-Never been to CA before and it will be harder to see family as often as I would like
-rely on public transit since I would not be able to bring a car

At the end of the day, I want a school which will give me the opportunities to be prepared for boards and residency. I know I can't go wrong either way, but any advice? Thank you!

At the end of the day, I want a school which will give me the opportunities to be prepared for boards and residency. I know I can't go wrong either way, but any advice? Thank you!

Every school gives you that opportunity.

Larger school does not mean larger opportunities. Smaller school does not mean lacking opportunities or alumni.

Boards:
-Extremely student dependent. Prepods like to look at 1st time pass rate and think "If I go to XYZ school, I will pass boards". What they never seem to grasp is boards pass rates is 90% dependent on how well the student prepares and less on what school they go to. There are 4.0 students who will fail boards. There are 2.8 students who will pass boards. It is almost entirely dependent on how hard you train.

Residency:
-Again, entirely depends on how hard the student works, how high they can keep their GPA, what kind of work ethic they have, how well they work with others, people skills, hand skills, work ethic, common sense.

Doesn't matter what school you went to.

Do you work well with others? Do you create more problems for the residents? Are you respectful? Are you willing to figure things out by yourself instead of relying on things to be spoon fed to you?

Which location can you see yourself doing the best in?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone help me decide between Kent State and CSPM?

I am from the Philadelphia area and need to decide between these schools. I am planning on taking the MCAT again in Jan prior to getting decisions from Scholl, Temple, NYCPM, and Western, but for now, I am planning on putting a deposit on one of these schools and depending on how the MCAT goes and future interviews, I may switch schools. I started a pro/con list but I would really appreciate all of your opinions because, compared to deciding for undergrad, this is the first time I have pretty evenly matched schools to decide from.

Kent State
Pro
-closer to home (6.5 hrs away but drivable)
-low cost of living
-larger school=larger network?
-Can bring a car to not rely on public transit

Cons
-larger class size of ~125
-clinical experience on paper seems less than other schools (being that the school is outside of Cleveland and they start clinicals exposure in 3rd yr after boards. When I spoke with a 2nd year student ambassador about clinicals, he didn't really know much about the school's affiliations or the rotation process which made me a bit concerned)
-One time 2.5k scholarship (not really a con, but it is less than CSPM and future scholarships are not guaranteed unless I am in the top 10%)

CSPM
Pro
-5k renewable scholarship with gpa maintenance
-Smaller class size of ~45 (tighter community and easier to maintain relationships with professors?)
-Earlier clinical exposure during 2nd year (possibly more variety of patients being in the city?)
-way better weather :)

Cons
-living costs are high, and even higher if you want to live outside of Oakland
-Never been to CA before and it will be harder to see family as often as I would like
-rely on public transit since I would not be able to bring a car

I am from Ohio and got accepted to Kent, but I will be attending Scholl. It was tough choosing between the two, especially with Kent only being two hours away. The biggest factor for me, was the actual campus size and the clinical rotation sites at Scholl. Don't get me wrong, Kent has great clinical rotation sites at places associated with the Cleveland Clinic. Kent is also just one large building as the school, and that's it. Coming from a large university, I liked that Scholl has multiple buildings and facilities on the campus, as well as their facility where students are practicing at a literal doctors office. I also really just like the city of Chicago and the surrounding area.

The biggest things like Weirdy said above should be:
- proximity to family
- cost of tuition and cost of living
I also like to look at board pass rates, residency match/placement percentage, and 4 year graduation rates personally. Ultimately, your gut will pull one way or the other, and I have always been told to go with my gut. Don't go somewhere and then regret not seizing an opportunity from a different place. Just remember no matter where you go, you will still get a good education and be called a doctor once you are all done.

Thanks for the responses. I think in looking at just those points I am leaning towards Kent. I guess my gut was in that direction too, but I wanted to make sure that I didn't make a hasty decision either.

Would you say that the BART is reliable though as the only means of transportation?

Reliable? Sure.

Convenient? No.

You will have clinical rotations the beginning of your second year. This is both in Oakland and San Francisco.

It is possible to carpool with people, but pending where the BART stations are, you will still need to figure out how to get from the BART station to the hospital.

Even if you do figure that out, time is your biggest commodity. Having a car means leaving when you need to and saving time waiting for the subway or cutting down travel time so you can study, sleep, eat, workout, do all the things you actually want to do.

I go to CSPM and would do it again.
If your gut tells you Kent is the place, go there and don't look back.

Reliable? Sure.

Convenient? No.

You will have clinical rotations the beginning of your second year. This is both in Oakland and San Francisco.

It is possible to carpool with people, but pending where the BART stations are, you will still need to figure out how to get from the BART station to the hospital.

Even if you do figure that out, time is your biggest commodity. Having a car means leaving when you need to and saving time waiting for the subway or cutting down travel time so you can study, sleep, eat, workout, do all the things you actually want to do.

I go to CSPM and would do it again.
If your gut tells you Kent is the place, go there and don't look back.
Thank you! I appreciate your input!

First, All pediatric medical school made tons of outstanding podiatrists in our nation. Nothing is wrong to pick up either one. My algorithm for compare 9 podiatric college, you can manipulate data and find the best school for yourself.
Result(bigger is better) = Sum of outcome - Sum of income

SchoolLocationL- CostsizeMCATS-GPAGPATuit(K)T-costincomeGrad RateAPMLE IAPMLE II - WAPMLE II - CSPEMatch RateoutcomeResult
AZPODPhoenix, AZ
26​
40​
498​
3.27​
3.41​
46​
72​
-904​
86.6​
97.6​
90.6​
93.0​
100.0​
1022​
118​
BUSPMMiami, FL
16​
67​
493​
3.06​
3.26​
39​
55​
-864​
79.0​
81.0​
82.0​
88.0​
99.0​
937​
73​
CSPMSan Francisco, CA
25​
48​
495​
3.17​
3.32​
44​
69​
-889​
87.0​
81.0​
86.0​
91.0​
99.0​
975​
87​
DMU-CPMSDes Moines, IA
16​
53​
496​
3.32​
3.46​
38​
54​
-889​
88.0​
90.0​
98.0​
97.0​
100.0​
1034​
145​
KSUCPMIndependent, OH
19​
125​
494​
3.20​
3.32​
43​
62​
-882​
77.0​
84.0​
92.0​
95.0​
99.0​
971​
89​
NYCPMNew York City, NY
25​
109​
497​
3.06​
3.23​
32​
57​
-869​
79.8​
91.1​
98.6​
92.1​
99.6​
1002​
134​
SCPMNorth Chicago, IL
19​
98​
497​
3.25​
3.40​
40​
59​
-889​
77.0​
88.0​
94.0​
93.0​
99.0​
979​
91​
TUSPMPhiladelphia, PA
21​
100​
499​
3.25​
3.27​
41​
62​
-887​
86.3​
92.6​
85.0​
88.1​
93.2​
977​
90​
WUCPMLos Angles, CA
21​
50​
496​
3.15​
3.27​
40​
61​
-878​
68.0​
86.0​
97.0​
100.0​
100.0​
970​
92​

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Numbers are fun until you start school and realize what it actually is like compared to what you think as a pre-pod.

APMLE 1
APMLE 2
Graduation rate
Match rate

All 4 are extremely dependent on the individual student.
APMLE CPSE is a joke in terms of difficulty.

I will give you credit for cost, class size, tuition.

Everything else is so dependent on the individual its almost laughable. You will know exactly what I mean after you start.

Numbers are fun until you start school and realize what it actually is like compared to what you think as a pre-pod.

APMLE 1
APMLE 2
Graduation rate
Match rate

All 4 are extremely dependent on the individual student.
APMLE CPSE is a joke in terms of difficulty.

I will give you credit for cost, class size, tuition.

Everything else is so dependent on the individual its almost laughable. You will know exactly what I mean after you start.

I agree with you, this only a peek from the keyhole.
Even official living costs on PMC information book 2020 are not accuracy for some school.
(CSPM list living expenses $52,734, I do not take this one. also I do not believe Miami living cost same with Des Moines, but the book list 15.4 k at first year.)

Everyone can put you own data inside and have fun to figure out the best one for yourself.

Last edited:
First, All pediatric medical school made tons of outstanding podiatrists in our nation. Nothing is wrong to pick up either one. My algorithm for compare 9 podiatric college, you can manipulate data and find the best school for yourself.

SchoolLocationL- CostsizeMCATS-GPAGPATuit(K)T-costincomeGrad RateAPMLE IAPMLE II - WAPMLE II - CSPEMatch RateoutcomeResult
AZPODPhoenix, AZ
26​
40​
498​
3.27​
3.41​
46​
72​
-904​
86.6​
97.6​
90.6​
93.0​
100.0​
1022​
118​
BUSPMMiami, FL
16​
67​
493​
3.06​
3.26​
39​
55​
-864​
79.0​
81.0​
82.0​
88.0​
99.0​
937​
73​
CSPMSan Francisco, CA
25​
48​
495​
3.17​
3.32​
44​
69​
-889​
87.0​
81.0​
86.0​
91.0​
99.0​
975​
87​
DMU-CPMSDes Moines, IA
16​
53​
496​
3.32​
3.46​
38​
54​
-889​
88.0​
90.0​
98.0​
97.0​
100.0​
1034​
145​
KSUCPMIndependent, OH
19​
125​
494​
3.20​
3.32​
43​
62​
-882​
77.0​
84.0​
92.0​
95.0​
99.0​
971​
89​
NYCPMNew York City, NY
25​
109​
497​
3.06​
3.23​
32​
57​
-869​
79.8​
91.1​
98.6​
92.1​
99.6​
1002​
134​
SCPMNorth Chicago, IL
19​
98​
497​
3.25​
3.40​
40​
59​
-889​
77.0​
88.0​
94.0​
93.0​
99.0​
979​
91​
TUSPMPhiladelphia, PA
21​
100​
499​
3.25​
3.27​
41​
62​
-887​
86.3​
92.6​
85.0​
88.1​
93.2​
977​
90​
WUCPMLos Angles, CA
21​
50​
496​
3.15​
3.27​
40​
61​
-878​
68.0​
86.0​
97.0​
100.0​
100.0​
970​
92​
Could you please explain the outcome column, like what do you mean 1034,1002,etc

Could you please explain the outcome column, like what do you mean 1034,1002,etc
Thank you ask the details.

Philosophy of my rank: A good school is make disadvantage students become a good outcome by cost efficiency.
(Higher Result is a better school for me)

Result = Good Outcome - incoming student sore with cost

Income = MCAT score + 50* sGPA + 50*tGPA +Total cost per year(K)
Outcome = (graduation rate *1.5 + board part I + board II w+ board II CSPE + match rate )*2
I weigh graduation rate x1.5 higher than other factors.

For Example:
1. If School A and school B get a same outcome and cost, but the A school incoming student score and cost lower than the B, the A get a Higher Result.
2. School C and school D both have a same GPA and MCAT student with same cost, and the outcome higher one is a winner.

All podiatric medical school is outstanding, we can find tons of famous podiatrists from all of 9 podiatric college.
Good luck for everyone.

Students choose school, schools pick up student. Some interesting data
1603997023337.png

1603997151387.png

1603997118969.png

1603997205156.png

Comfortable Academic Bubbles.
1603997414144.png

1603997449372.png

Attachments

• 1603997049682.png
    1603997049682.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 1603997140019.png
    1603997140019.png
    138.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 1603997168189.png
    1603997168189.png
    96.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 1603997224613.png
    1603997224613.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

AZPODPhoenix, AZ
26​
40​
498​
3.27​
3.41​
46​
72​
-904​
86.6​
97.6​
90.6​
93.0​
100.0​
1022​
118​
BUSPMMiami, FL
16​
67​
493​
3.06​
3.26​
39​
55​
-864​
79.0​
81.0​
82.0​
88.0​
99.0​
937​
73​
CSPMSan Francisco, CA
25​
48​
495​
3.17​
3.32​
44​
69​
-889​
87.0​
81.0​
86.0​
91.0​
99.0​
975​
87​
DMU-CPMSDes Moines, IA
16​
53​
496​
3.32​
3.46​
38​
54​
-889​
88.0​
90.0​
98.0​
97.0​
100.0​
1034​
145​
KSUCPMIndependent, OH
19​
125​
494​
3.20​
3.32​
43​
62​
-882​
77.0​
84.0​
92.0​
95.0​
99.0​
971​
89​
NYCPMNew York City, NY
25​
109​
497​
3.06​
3.23​
32​
57​
-869​
79.8​
91.1​
98.6​
92.1​
99.6​
1002​
134​
SCPMNorth Chicago, IL
19​
98​
497​
3.25​
3.40​
40​
59​
-889​
77.0​
88.0​
94.0​
93.0​
99.0​
979​
91​
TUSPMPhiladelphia, PA
21​
100​
499​
3.25​
3.27​
41​
62​
-887​
86.3​
92.6​
85.0​
88.1​
93.2​
977​
90​
WUCPMLos Angles, CA
21​
50​
496​
3.15​
3.27​
40​
61​
-878​
68.0​
86.0​
97.0​
100.0​
100.0​
970​
92​
Quick update: DMU actually increased their class size this past cycle. Not sure if it was increased to 60, but 59 students are in the class of 2024.

Impressive.
Your explanation of score makes a lot more sense. Thought you were just typical pre-pod extolling higher stats = better school.

My apologies.
My mistake. I should explain details when I post the data.

I got lots from your posts at this forum and try to contribute little in here.
Thank you and all of your wise suggestions.

Last edited:
These are great tables and diagrams. Hopefully people will be redirected here more during their panic attack posts (of which I am guilty for).

So I'm in the process of choosing schools at this point. I've been accepted at DMU, Midwestern, Western, NYC, and Kent, and just interviewed today at Scholl. I've been offered a really great scholarship from NYC that would make it MUCH cheaper than any other school, but I didn't really fall in love with it as much as I loved DMU/Midwestern/Western. How much should I be considering cost in this decision? I know that I will be in a great amount of debt no matter what, but anything to alleviate that will help, but I also want to go where I feel is the best fit for me. Would it be a good idea to email the schools that I loved more but may be more expensive telling them that other schools have given me better scholarship offers inquiring if they would up their offers of scholarships as a result? Thank you!

So I'm in the process of choosing schools at this point. I've been accepted at DMU, Midwestern, Western, NYC, and Kent, and just interviewed today at Scholl. I've been offered a really great scholarship from NYC that would make it MUCH cheaper than any other school, but I didn't really fall in love with it as much as I loved DMU/Midwestern/Western. How much should I be considering cost in this decision? I know that I will be in a great amount of debt no matter what, but anything to alleviate that will help, but I also want to go where I feel is the best fit for me. Would it be a good idea to email the schools that I loved more but may be more expensive telling them that other schools have given me better scholarship offers inquiring if they would up their offers of scholarships as a result? Thank you!

There is nothing wrong with emailing the other schools to match NYCPM scholarship money, but I do not think they will change their original decision for the $$$.
That said, I would go to the cheapest school and do my best to make it work. You can always take vacations during the breaks.

Make sure to factor in living expenses, travel, food, health insurance, and everything else when deciding on a program.

Thank you

Hello,

I can provide some insight about Western as I am a 2nd year podiatry student here. To some of the factors that you mentioned, Western also has a small and diverse class. The majority of lectures are not mandatory, and are mostly integrated with the DO students. Finances are important, but it is also important to keep in mind where you think you would be able to study your best at. I chose Western because I wanted to stay in sunny Southern California and compared to up North at SMU, the cost of living is lower here. Each school has a mission statement too. Western focuses on serving the underserved.

Nonetheless, each school is great and it all depends on what aligns with your interests the most. It's an investment towards the next 4 years of your life after all. I hope this helped.

I am not too familiar with what the impressions and thoughts are of the different podiatry schools.
Can someone tell me what are some impressions people have of NYPCM, Des Moines, Midwestern, and Temple?
And which school is the most sought at?

I am not too familiar with what the impressions and thoughts are of the different podiatry schools.
Can someone tell me what are some impressions people have of NYPCM, Des Moines, Midwestern, and Temple?
And which school is the most sought at?

Equally good and will help you get the DPM degree.

Help me choose! I’ve gotten interviews at the following schools: NYCPM, MWU, Temple, and DMU.
although I haven’t received any acceptances yet, I want to do my fair share of research on all of the schools to find out which one is a good fit for me.

I currently live in NY with my family, but would get an apt near school anyways since the commute would be pretty long. I’ve made a good number of connections with DPMs in NY and graduates of NYCPM and with current students so I have that advantage. However I’m really concerned for the rigorous curriculum. I did apply for the January class so that helps, but the thought of having class 9-5 and 1-2 exams every week makes me worry that I won’t be able to do well in my classes bc I don’t have time to study. I love that NY has great exposure clinically, which ultimately will help train me to be a great podiatrist.

what is the curriculum like at the other programs? I heard that Temple’s curriculum is also rigorous, but not mandatory classes, right? I know that temple has great clinical exposure as well. But I heard from a student that he only sees 3-4 patients a day in the foot clinic during his 3rd year...that seems like a very small number to me. Or is that a good amount?

I attended an info session for DMU and I really enjoyed that they focus on evidence based medicine. And they have Problem based learning in group settings so I do feel like that might be better studying and learning wise.

I don’t know too much on MWU’s program unfortunately.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

Help me choose! I’ve gotten interviews at the following schools: NYCPM, MWU, Temple, and DMU.
although I haven’t received any acceptances yet, I want to do my fair share of research on all of the schools to find out which one is a good fit for me.

I currently live in NY with my family, but would get an apt near school anyways since the commute would be pretty long. I’ve made a good number of connections with DPMs in NY and graduates of NYCPM and with current students so I have that advantage. However I’m really concerned for the rigorous curriculum. I did apply for the January class so that helps, but the thought of having class 9-5 and 1-2 exams every week makes me worry that I won’t be able to do well in my classes bc I don’t have time to study. I love that NY has great exposure clinically, which ultimately will help train me to be a great podiatrist.

what is the curriculum like at the other programs? I heard that Temple’s curriculum is also rigorous, but not mandatory classes, right? I know that temple has great clinical exposure as well. But I heard from a student that he only sees 3-4 patients a day in the foot clinic during his 3rd year...that seems like a very small number to me. Or is that a good amount?

I attended an info session for DMU and I really enjoyed that they focus on evidence based medicine. And they have Problem based learning in group settings so I do feel like that might be better studying and learning wise.

I don’t know too much on MWU’s program unfortunately.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!
Hi! Current MWU student here. Sorry for responding so late on this post.

Just want to provide you with more info regarding our program. Classes are probably just as rigorous at all schools where classes are taken with DOs (NYCPM, DMU, MWU). Midwestern does not have mandatory classes except for Pod classes. All basic science classes are recorded and can be watched at your leisure if thats how you study best. We have some standardized patients that we see 2nd yr for clinical based exams. Actual patients begin at the start of 3rd yr (exception to this is volunteer work in which you see patient as early as 1st yr). We are also yr round which I know not all schools are. Hope that helps. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask or you can always DM me if preferred. Best of luck on the rest of the interview cycle :)

If you like city life, there is much more to do in Chicago compared to Cleveland. School-wise, Scholl has a student-led clinic that you can volunteer from your first year to get hands-on experience early. I feel like that is what separated Kent and Scholl for me. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! Do you find that the commute is more difficult being that the school is in North Chicago and not in Chicago itself? (Distance wise from O'hare) I'm not sure if or where you moved from somewhere but I'm also thinking flights may be more difficult to get from a smaller airport vs an international one. Am I wrong? Also, where do students tend to live? I assume living in Chicago is way too far (and too pricy) to actually commute to campus when needed -- but is there a midway point that's city-ish? Tysm for your help
The school is only 30-40 minutes from O'Hare so the commute isn't that bad (that's how long it will take if you live in the city as well). As someone who did undergrad in the city I do think the city itself is a lot better for commuting because you don't really need a vehicle. Their public transportation (CTA) can get you practically anywhere. North Chicago is a nice area but if you want to travel around--or if you live off campus you will need a car. If you want to live and experience the city vibe nothing really comes close so I'd suggest actually living in the city. Chicago is a great place. Just know if you live in the city you will need a car to drive or take the Metra train as a good amount of students do.

Hello! I've applied to NYCPM and TUSPM since I'm from NYC and was in Philly for college. I won't be living at home since my fiance and I plan on moving in together when school starts.

NYCPM: my whole family is in NYC.
TUSPM: my fiance and I lived here a few years for college and loved it.

I know people say that you can tell how a school is when you interact with them during webinars but I've been to webinars by both schools and I can't quite pick up on if I enjoyed one encounter vs the other. Ms Snead and Huggins at Temple are always very responsive but I had a better virtual advisement session with Steebo at NYCPM than with Ms. Snead.

Their facilities seem pretty similar so is there anything that stands out from either school?

Is there a school between the two that offers better scholarship programs?

Many thanks for reading this far and stay safe!

Hello! I've applied to NYCPM and TUSPM since I'm from NYC and was in Philly for college. I won't be living at home since my fiance and I plan on moving in together when school starts.

NYCPM: my whole family is in NYC.
TUSPM: my fiance and I lived here a few years for college and loved it.

I know people say that you can tell how a school is when you interact with them during webinars but I've been to webinars by both schools and I can't quite pick up on if I enjoyed one encounter vs the other. Ms Snead and Huggins at Temple are always very responsive but I had a better virtual advisement session with Steebo at NYCPM than with Ms. Snead.

Their facilities seem pretty similar so is there anything that stands out from either school?

Is there a school between the two that offers better scholarship programs?

Many thanks for reading this far and stay safe!

Factor in the cost and attend the cheaper one.

I've narrowed down my choices to WesternU and Midwestern. Before my interviews, WesternU was my number 1 choice because I am from southern Califonia and I feel like the staff really cares about helping me build my career. However, I loved the staff and students and the community feel at Midwestern. Furthermore, it's really hard not to compare stats because Midwestern is so impressive with board pass rates and graduation rates. Overall, the only difference I can really seem to find is how the schools present their curriculum (Subject based=Midwestern and Systems based=Western). If someone could weigh in and give me their opinion that would be helpful!

Hey y'all,
This thread started in 2020 so I'm not sure if it's still appropriate for me to ask my question here but I can't seem to find a current thread for "Help Me Choose Between" so Imma just shoot my shot. Any help is appreciated!

I was a pre-DO who recently decided to pursue podiatry. I applied and got into all the schools I wanted. Have had to make many tough decisions but I'm down to CSPM v. WesternU and am in need of guidance. I don't care all that much about stats since I understand that ultimately it's up to me and my work ethic regardless of the school I attend. I also don't care all that much about "safety" since I live in a rough neighborhood. I also also don't care too much about the whole DO integration thing either. Though it'll be a bit more expensive with CSPM, it'll be expensive living in CA generally anyways so cost isn't as big of a concern either. Other minor details about what each school offers (fancy research centers, affiliated hospitals etc.) have already been taken into account. So besides those factors here are my pro's and con's lists:

WesternU pros:
- Overall great vibes from students and faculty during the interview
- They advertised a lot about the use of modern tech in teaching and training, and I'd assume that'll translate down the road when I begin working
- I like their spirit (Seem to be innovative and taking charge of the whole parity for podiatry initiative)
- The 2 pass system (not sure if CSPM does this but it ensures we go through the body twice before board)
WesternU cons:
- I'd like to believe that I benefit from smaller class sizes and taking classes with 200 DO students doesn't match that description well..
- Have to take 2 board exams but from what I heard prepping for the CBSE prepares you for the APMLE?
- It's warmer (read: hotter and drier) in SoCal v. Northern Cal & I'm coming from MN

CSPM pros:
- I'll probably fall in love with the weather (never been but from what I heard and from Google Earth it does not seem as dry as SoCal). Also I've been to SoCal 4 times in the summer and it was dreadful (90+ weather)
- Smaller class size
- They seem to care about serving the underserved (mission trips, homeless clinics) and were the only school that brought it up during the interview - something that I value a lot.
CSPM cons:
- Faculty seemed a bit lethargic during the interview (obviously they're busy bees and probably just had a long morning beforehand) but they weren't able to answer my questions adequately and had to rely on the Associate Dean a lot. Almost felt like I was the interviewer and not the interviewee.
- They seem to be a bit "old schooled" - not sure if I'd start out one step behind peeps from schools with more resources with the whole technological advancements in medicine.
- Ahh this one is long.. SO after doing some digging on some old SDN forums, I noticed that CSPM had a minor accreditation issue in the past for being unable to submit the necessary paperwork. I also found out from the CPME website (https://www.cpme.org/files/CPME/2021-10_California_Accreditation_Actions.pdf) that the school's latest accreditation will expire later this year and that there was a non-compliance requirement related to meeting the three-year average licensure examination pass rate for first-time test takers (at 73% on Part I). The school is required to submit a progress report for accreditation consideration this April in order to continue its accredited status and given the history... Anyhow, the Dean replied to my email, "promised" that they'll be above that 90% before 2023 with their new plan essentially making students pass the CBSE (and other practice tests) before taking the APMLE. The email did help me feel better about the situation but none of this were mentioned by the school throughout the process.

Sorry for the long post. Appreciate y'all.

ps. Also is it just me or is it oddly quiet on SDN podiatry forums this cycle?

Graduated from CSPM. Enjoyed a lot of it and had no issues matching to my top pick. Same with all of my close friends.
Also had friends from Western who enjoyed their time there and got into their top pick residencies as well.

Mileage varies in every program.

Some had a horrible time at both schools. I don't blame them.

School is what you make of it. Pick the one you feel fits you the most.

Pm with any questions or email admin and ask if you can talk to the current students there.

tuspm vs nycpm vs ksucpm

help me pick. I go to temple but i am already accepted at nycpm(8k) and ksucpm(7.5k). i still have go interview at temple.

Met a lot of good people from the AZ school.
What are your priorities?

Cost? Proximity to home? Geographical location?

Boards pass rate is largely dependent on the student. Some schools have better clinical exposure, some are more academically prepared.
I’m from NY. My family is close by (not close enough to commute from home which is a bummer) I guess being close to home is high on my list but also want a good education. My biggest worry is cost of living in NY.

Can someone either confirm or deny the bad accusations at Barry? If I got accepted I would want to go there, but after reading these forums, I am very iffy on if that would be a bad decision.
I went to Barry. I got what I needed from it. It wouldn’t be a bad decision but at the end of the day you get what you put into any medical school. Work hard and you’ll go far.

AZPOD or Kent State?

I'd love to go to azpod as the faculty over there is what got me into podiatry in the first place. The only reason i'd pick kent state is that it's a 2.5 hour drive from my location as opposed to 30 hour from arizona (i'd wanna stay closer to home). In terms of clinical and whatnot, is arizona all around the better option? I'd be curious what you guys would pick in this case. i don't mind the tuition for both.

I’m attending Kent because of the location. It’s a few hours away from home. It’s important for me to be able to stay close to family.

Both schools will make you a podiatrist. I’d say go with where you’d be more comfortable living, especially if tuition isn’t a deciding factor.