Help me decide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ketu229

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys
I am in trouble here
I filled the AFCOE form for issuance of I20 and the lady is asking me two questions in which I am very coonfused
1 Do you want I20 to issued for the change of status in USA ?
2 Are you going back to your home country to get F1 visa?

Now I asked her for the change of status in USA but she is confusing my mind by saying that it takes 1 to 4 month for the status to be changed in USA and if it does not happen before the school starts then i am not elegible for attending school as a full tiem student.
I spoke to INS and they said that it takes 1 to 1 and half month for it.

I am confused guys please help me if soem one has already experienced some thing like this earlier .....because it is difficult in India to get F1 visa they reject for no reason...

below is the email she send me

Our advice is based on our experience with change of status applications. Please note that many applications receive requests for further evidence which lengthen the application procedure. The immigration service may respond quickly, but they also may request further information, you gather that information and they review it again.

The most important point to consider is that if you do not receive an approval prior to the start date of classes, you may not enroll on a full-time basis.

Please let me know your final answer, and I will process as you wish.

Thank you for your co-operation.
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

hi ketu,

as far as i know it will take time to get f1 visa in usa.....my friend who is on h4 planning to get f1 from mexico......but u should contact lawyer regarding this .........u should go for stamping in mexico.........if any thing goes wrong u can come back with ur present visa and ur lawyer will help u if anything goes against u.........i know one lawyer who is very good in these...my husband friends went for j1 and h1 stmaping from f1...u can talk to him and find out..
i think he will charge around $1500. so if u want to go in this way i can find out the lawyer no and give u.................

best wishes,
ganesha.

hi ganesha

yes I would appreciate if you send me the information of the lawyer

Members don't see this ad :)
ganesha said:
hi ketu,

as far as i know it will take time to get f1 visa in usa.....my friend who is on h4 planning to get f1 from mexico......but u should contact lawyer regarding this .........u should go for stamping in mexico.........if any thing goes wrong u can come back with ur present visa and ur lawyer will help u if anything goes against u.........i know one lawyer who is very good in these...my husband friends went for j1 and h1 stmaping from f1...u can talk to him and find out..
i think he will charge around $1500. so if u want to go in this way i can find out the lawyer no and give u.................

best wishes,
ganesha.
hi ganesha
i would appreciate any kind of help regarding this. send me the information of the lawyer

Yeah, I was going to suggest that. Going to Canada or Mexico to get the F-1. Assuming is possible and legal, of course

meggs
no after 9/11 this is cancelled you have to go back to home country for stamping.

I dont know the lady who releases I 20 is contonously questioning me what I am doing whether going back to home country or changing status here, then when I say that I am changing status here she says that she has know many students it takes 1 to 4 months.
I spoke to INS they said they are just 12 days late at present reveiwing the application those reached them on 15 th april.

let me know if you have any idea regarding it

thanks ganesha and meggs

Two word for you too Ketu: Immigration expert. I think the money is worth 'casue of the risk you're running.

meggs said:
Two word for you too Ketu: Immigration expert. I think the money is worth 'casue of the risk you're running.
thanks meggs,
I think that is the only optiopn left behind me.