Help me eliminate 10 schools from my list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1cor1311

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN fam,

I need some help shortening my school list. I want to send out primary applications to approximately 30 schools.

Hispanic URM, 3.69 cGPA, 3.74 sGPA, 30 MCAT, slightly strong EC's and work experience. CA resident with no state ties any where else, except a bit in NY and Maryland , (family there that i visit occasionally).

Here is my current list of schools. They are arranged by LizzyM score hi to low.
The ones that are green i will be applying to full force. The 3 new schools are at the bottom of the list .

Some things to consider to help me eliminate by your personal experience!

1. I dislike research, do not want to attend a research heavy school, but rather a community serving school. (i understand all schools do both but you know what i mean: where is the emphasis at?)

2. Im conservative, and christian. Would like to be around a similar community. (if some institutions are very liberal, like UC Berkely undergrad and the surrounding city for instance, i would reconsider applying there)

3. I have no state ties anywhere outside of CA for the most part, if i have a terrible shot at a school as a result of this i would rather not apply there.

I already purchased the MSAR, thats what got me down to this many schools hitherto :)

Stanford University
University of California--Los Angeles
University of California--San Diego

Tufts University
Boston University
University of Southern California
University of Colorado
Yeshiva einstein University (no secondary essay)
Oregon Health & Science University
University of California--Irvine
Stony Brook University
SUNY--Downstate
Brown University
University of Vermont (no secondary essay)
University of Maryland
Georgetown University
Temple University
Jefferson Medical College
University of Illinois
University of California--Davis
University of Arizona
New York Medical College
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Virginia Commonwealth University
George Washington University
Loma Linda University
Rush University
Creighton University
Rosalind Franklin University
Drexel University (no secondary essay)
University of Louisville
University of Utah
Michigan State University
West Virginia University
University of Kansas
University of South Carolina
Wright State University (no secondary essay)
University of New Mexico
Morehouse School of Medicine
Howard University
Meharry Medical College

Universirty of CA Riverside
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Hofstra North Shore- LIJ School of Medicine

some of these schools have no secondary essay, so i am also considering adding them as a result of the less work to potentially get an interview =)

Thank you guys so much let me know any and all input you have!:thumbup::)

Members don't see this ad.

Stanford might be a stretch but I guess it can stay as a reach. I don't know, your list seems fine, just select for where you'd like to live if you don't want to research each school independently. Also, some of your schools sound like public state schools (U of Utah, Kansas). Look at the MSAR and compare the applicants/interviewed ratio between IS applications and OOS applications. There are schools that favor their in state applicants so that should be your main screening factor.

Drop Stanford since it will be a big stretch and you don't like research anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are a few thoughts, based on your list:

Brown - Almost half of last year's incoming class came from their BS/MD program.

New Mexico - They had only 1 OOS matriculant (and offered only 18 interviews) from 566 OOS applicants in 2011, according to MSAR. The numbers don't look good for you here.

Illinois - OOS tuition is obscenely high. If this isn't a factor for you, disregard.

South Carolina, Arizona, Kansas - These schools aren't particularly OOS-friendly, according to MSAR, although their numbers aren't as bad for you as those at New Mexico.

Stanford - This is a research-heavy school, and your MCAT score is below their 10th percentile.

Stanford might be a stretch but I guess it can stay as a reach. I don't know, your list seems fine, just select for where you'd like to live if you don't want to research each school independently. Also, some of your schools sound like public state schools (U of Utah, Kansas). Look at the MSAR and compare the applicants/interviewed ratio between IS applications and OOS applications. There are schools that favor their in state applicants so that should be your main screening factor.

Drop Stanford since it will be a big stretch and you don't like research anyway.

Here are a few thoughts, based on your list:

Brown - Almost half of last year's incoming class came from their BS/MD program.

New Mexico - They had only 1 OOS matriculant (and offered only 18 interviews) from 566 OOS applicants in 2011, according to MSAR. The numbers don't look good for you here.

Illinois - OOS tuition is obscenely high. If this isn't a factor for you, disregard.

South Carolina, Arizona, Kansas - These schools aren't particularly OOS-friendly, according to MSAR, although their numbers aren't as bad for you as those at New Mexico.

Stanford - This is a research-heavy school, and your MCAT score is below their 10th percentile.

Thank you guys so much for your help!

Anyone else who can chime in!?

[EASY BUTTON] Just eliminate the 10 most competitive schools that you're not so crazy about.

Tufts University - Expensive (Total Cost of Attendance $80,000); that may be a consideration for some.

University of Colorado - This school is known for emphasis on clinical exposure (500 hours at least); Not sure if this is problem for OP; Also mostly accepts CO residents

Oregon Health & Science University; University of Illinois; University of Louisville; Michigan State University; University of Kansas; University of New Mexico - All of these are not very OOS friendly

University of Utah - Need to have ties to Utah

Temple University - I've never been to Philly but I've heard this school is in a dangerous area.

Hey SDN fam,

I need some help shortening my school list. I want to send out primary applications to approximately 30 schools.

Hispanic URM, 3.69 cGPA, 3.74 sGPA, 30 MCAT, slightly strong EC's and work experience. CA resident with no state ties any where else, except a bit in NY and Maryland , (family there that i visit occasionally).

Here is my current list of schools. They are arranged by LizzyM score hi to low.
The ones that are green i will be applying to full force. The 3 new schools are at the bottom of the list .

Some things to consider to help me eliminate by your personal experience!

1. I dislike research, do not want to attend a research heavy school, but rather a community serving school. (i understand all schools do both but you know what i mean: where is the emphasis at?)

2. Im conservative, and christian. Would like to be around a similar community. (if some institutions are very liberal, like UC Berkely undergrad and the surrounding city for instance, i would reconsider applying there)

3. I have no state ties anywhere outside of CA for the most part, if i have a terrible shot at a school as a result of this i would rather not apply there.

I already purchased the MSAR, thats what got me down to this many schools hitherto :)

Stanford University
University of California--Los Angeles
University of California--San Diego

Tufts University
Boston University
University of Southern California
University of Colorado
Yeshiva einstein University (no secondary essay)
Oregon Health & Science University
University of California--Irvine
Stony Brook University
SUNY--Downstate
Brown University
University of Vermont (no secondary essay)
University of Maryland
Georgetown University
Temple University
Jefferson Medical College
University of Illinois
University of California--Davis
University of Arizona
New York Medical College
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Virginia Commonwealth University
George Washington University
Loma Linda University
Rush University
Creighton University
Rosalind Franklin University
Drexel University (no secondary essay)
University of Louisville
University of Utah
Michigan State University
West Virginia University
University of Kansas
University of South Carolina
Wright State University (no secondary essay)
University of New Mexico
Morehouse School of Medicine
Howard University
Meharry Medical College

Universirty of CA Riverside
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Hofstra North Shore- LIJ School of Medicine

some of these schools have no secondary essay, so i am also considering adding them as a result of the less work to potentially get an interview =)

Thank you guys so much let me know any and all input you have!:thumbup::)

What about Loyola? Religious affiliation.

Also I know Keck has a research requirement, as does UCSD (then again many schools probably do).

I'd drop Stanford as mentioned above, and Oregon which is hard on OOS.
Sent from my iPhone sorry!!

I know Morehouse, Howard, and Meharry are historically black colleges if that has any bearing (I have no idea about chances of non AA applicants to HBCs). I'd also reconsider Brown; they have a small class size already and admit a large number of that from their combined undergrad/MD program (so competitive in the sense that there are very few spots for non-Brown grads).

If you are interested in primary care or working with underserved communities, I'd suggest you look into UCLA Prime and Charles Drew tracks, which I believe matriculate students with lower stats than the main UCLA program. Though these programs admit far fewer students so they may be just as competitive...

Tufts University - Expensive (Total Cost of Attendance $80,000); that may be a consideration for some.

University of Colorado - This school is known for emphasis on clinical exposure (500 hours at least); Not sure if this is problem for OP; Also mostly accepts CO residents

Oregon Health & Science University; University of Illinois; University of Louisville; Michigan State University; University of Kansas; University of New Mexico - All of these are not very OOS friendly

University of Utah - Need to have ties to Utah

Temple University - I've never been to Philly but I've heard this school is in a dangerous area.

What about Loyola? Religious affiliation.

Also I know Keck has a research requirement, as does UCSD (then again many schools probably do).

I'd drop Stanford as mentioned above, and Oregon which is hard on OOS.
Sent from my iPhone sorry!!

I know Morehouse, Howard, and Meharry are historically black colleges if that has any bearing (I have no idea about chances of non AA applicants to HBCs). I'd also reconsider Brown; they have a small class size already and admit a large number of that from their combined undergrad/MD program (so competitive in the sense that there are very few spots for non-Brown grads).

If you are interested in primary care or working with underserved communities, I'd suggest you look into UCLA Prime and Charles Drew tracks, which I believe matriculate students with lower stats than the main UCLA program. Though these programs admit far fewer students so they may be just as competitive...

Thank you guys so much! This is great help!

Unless you have ties to NM (high school grad, parents live here), there is absolutely no point in applying there. I have a friend who was from OOS and went to undergrad here who was not considered IS and rejected pre-secondary, so they are pretty strict about the in state thing,

When UNM reports the "OOS" students, they are from the large native american reservations from the four corners states (at least this is what I've heard constitutes the OOS)