Help me help a patient w/ a severe snoring problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know someone overseas who has a terrible snoring problem. I think he has some sleep apnea too. He chokes, has a hard time breathing at night, then he gets afraid to sleep, losing productivity and concentration during day.. it's a vicious cycle. Anyway, he received 2 surgeries overseas, but without success. I don't know what type of surgery they were.

I ask:
Is snoring 100% curable? What are some options if he came to US for treatment? Is it worth it for him to come to US (UCLA med or hopkins hospital) to get surgery here??

thanks, I really wanna help this guy.

Members don't see this ad.

btw, i know this is a premed board, but I'm posting this here anyawy b/c ther's th emost traffic here & i'm sure some med students/residents visit this board.

I'm not sure what type of surgery your friend had...typically a person with these symptoms would undergo a scheduled "Sleep Study"...they stay over night in a monitored hospital bed and are observed all night, and are hooked to a heart monitor. Most hospitals have this program in place. The main problem with the snoring and the apnea long term is that it can cause heart arrythmias (abnormal heart rhythms)...The majority of the cases are caused by obesity, which accounts for the trouble breathing...other times it is a congenital malformation somewhere in the nose/throat area. I don't know how this is approached oversees...but he/she probably could benefit from an evaluation by an ENT (ears, nose throat) MD as well as a cardiologist.Good luck

hey chef! I wanted to let you know that my dad was diagnosed with sleep apnea a couple of months ago and they tried different things such as nasal sprays, etc. Recently, since nothing else was working he got a CPAP from his physician. What is does is monitor the oxygen level in the esophagus and if it isn't enough pumps O2 into a mask, in order to ease the blockage. Ever since my dad has started using it, he's been sleeping much better and the snoring has decreased. Most importantly, we aren't as concerned about the normal heart problems assoc with sleep apnea. I'd really look into the CPAP. I know it's expensive, but insurance works wonders in situations like these. Hope this helps.