Help me; I done messed up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nwh170412

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a very low GPA at a very difficult university. Low by my professors'/advisers' standards, no. So I'm not looking for their help. I have difficult course loads coming up, but I planned it out that this will be the best route (if I push everything to senior year, it will be a lot worse).

My issues:
1. Time management.
2. Psyching myself out. I firmly believe I got into my university by complete accident. I knew more qualified students back in high school who didn't get in.
3. Many pre-req classes make it almost impossible to do well on quizzes, but I need to be able to get almost 100s to get an A. How?

I appreciate any help! I've been reading a lot about how to be active in classes and how to do well, but I thought I was already doing things like active learning, seeking help, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

How low is low?

You don't really have many questions here, you just stated stuff, are you looking for study habits?

Also, for a difficult school, are you talking about like Cal Tech, MIT, Princeton, or like UCLA/Berkeley, because the latter would not be considered an extremely difficult university (to admissions) and would likely not give you any points.

Members don't see this ad :)
How low are we talking? If you're >=3.0, you're probably fine. You might not get into med school right after college, but through some combination of chilling out for now + meaningful post-grad experiences like an SMP or working/volunteering, you'll be fine.

If your GPA isn't low by your adviser's standards, it can't be THAT low. Maybe you need to take the summer off and just relax a little.

As for time management--figure out what the problem is. If you're spending too much time on Facebook, then install a blocker on your browser so you can only do that x minutes every hour/day. If you're reading through the material and then doing it again and again and that's what the problem is, you need to become more efficient at studying. Handwritten notes can help with that.

WTF, yes, I go to a school known for deflation on here, but I'm not looking for "points", I'm also not sure how my GPA matters, I just want to improve from now and not dwell on the past. My GPA is good enough by my school's standards (even got a scholarship) but not at all good for medical school (3.0ish)?

So what's the question, exactly? How to get better grades?
1. Time management?
2. Psyching myself out?
3. Getting near perfect grades on exams designed to have low averages?
:)

WTF, yes, I go to a school known for deflation on here, but I'm not looking for "points", I'm also not sure how my GPA matters, I just want to improve from now and not dwell on the past. My GPA is good enough by my school's standards (even got a scholarship) but not at all good for medical school (3.0ish)?

Because part of your problem is you psyching yourself out, as you said yourself. You need to relax. We can't tell you HOW to do that, just that you need to.

1. Time management?
2. Psyching myself out?
3. Getting near perfect grades on exams designed to have low averages?
:)

Adding a question mark doesn't turn it into a question. What have you tried? Describe your problem. We can't help if we don't know what your baseline is.

Reactions: 1 users
Because part of your problem is you psyching yourself out, as you said yourself. You need to relax. We can't tell you HOW to do that, just that you need to.

Adding a question mark doesn't turn it into a question. What have you tried? Describe your problem. We can't help if we don't know what your baseline is.
I don't know where all my time goes. By the time I get back from school and eat, I have barely enough time for 1/2 my work. I always start with stuff that has to be physically turned in and then move on to studying. This means I usually get easy classes done first (not BCPM) and hardly get to science classes at all. I get overwhelmed and am a horrible self-studier.

I don't know where all my time goes. By the time I get back from school and eat, I have barely enough time for 1/2 my work. I always start with stuff that has to be physically turned in and then move on to studying. This means I usually get easy classes done first (not BCPM) and hardly get to science classes at all. I get overwhelmed and am a horrible self-studier.

Describe your typical day. What sort of classes are you taking? How are you studying?

Go to your school's learning or education center and get help for these things.

So I have a very low GPA at a very difficult university. Low by my professors'/advisers' standards, no. So I'm not looking for their help. I have difficult course loads coming up, but I planned it out that this will be the best route (if I push everything to senior year, it will be a lot worse).

My issues:
1. Time management.
2. Psyching myself out. I firmly believe I got into my university by complete accident. I knew more qualified students back in high school who didn't get in.
3. Many pre-req classes make it almost impossible to do well on quizzes, but I need to be able to get almost 100s to get an A. How?

I appreciate any help! I've been reading a lot about how to be active in classes and how to do well, but I thought I was already doing things like active learning, seeking help, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Describe your typical day. What sort of classes are you taking? How are you studying?
Typical Monday this term:
9:30: Wake up and possibly grab a quick bite to eat.
10:00-12:00: 2 Classes
12:00-1:00: Lunch while preparing for next class.
1:00-3:00: 2 Classes
3:00-4:00: Errands (emails, cleaning up, etc)
4:00-6:00: Homework for a literature class (x3 times a week M,W,Sun)
6:00-7:00: Dinner and relax
6:00-3:00: Study for 3 classes (BCPM)

W/F are the same, Tu/Th I usually have a long lab + quizzes in some of my BCPM class, depends on the term/class.
Maybe I'm just not disciplined enough. 6-sleep is where I tend to lose valuable time.
So far, just the intro classes, they tend to be graded harder, but I'm not learning much at all so I don't expect it to be easy for me. If I studied better, it probably wouldn't be that hard/maybe even easy.

I'm scared because next year I have more ECs that I didn't include here.

200-300 nap time
3-330 juice time
330-400 second nap time.
400-500 fapping time

You're studying from 18h to 3h EVERYDAY? That's nine hours, buddy. Most people would study that much in an entire week and be fine (assignments aside, ofc).

There's something dreadfully wrong with your studying methods if I understand this correctly.
Go see a counselor ASAP, because it's only going to get worse.

You're studying from 18h to 3h EVERYDAY? That's nine hours, buddy. Most people would study that much in an entire week and be fine (assignments aside, ofc).

There's something dreadfully wrong with your studying methods if I understand this correctly.
Go see a counselor ASAP, because it's only going to get worse.
Lol no, that's not how much I study. I probably could fit what I do a day in an hour or so, hence my time management and feeling worthless issues.
That's how much free time I have, except for quiz nights, EC's (20 hours a week). This is a Monday. On Wednesday, for example, I have commitments from 10AM-7PM.

So what's your schedule look like for the fall? Are you taking another ridiculously time consuming English class? I mean 6 hours of homework a week for one English class thats nuts. If you haven't completed your English requirement yet, ask the upperclassmen for some notoriously easy English writing-intensive classes (there's always a few) so you can focus on the BCPM courses. I went to an elite school too known for grade deflation and the key is to choose your classes / professors wisely. Ask around for the professors who teach easy courses for easy A's so that you have the time to ace the unavoidable tough classes like Organic Chem and Cell Biology.

I feel your pain on the quizzes, they're a killer. Perhaps hit the hay earlier and review the material for the quizzes between 7 am and 10 am? You'd be surprised at how hoppin' the library is in the early AM.

Reactions: 1 user
So what's your schedule look like for the fall? Are you taking another ridiculously time consuming English class? I mean 6 hours of homework a week for one English class thats nuts. If you haven't completed your English requirement yet, ask the upperclassmen for some notoriously easy English writing-intensive classes (there's always a few) so you can focus on the BCPM courses. I went to an elite school too known for grade deflation and the key is to choose your classes / professors wisely. Ask around for the professors who teach easy courses for easy A's so that you have the time to ace the unavoidable tough classes like Organic Chem and Cell Biology.

I feel your pain on the quizzes, they're a killer. Perhaps hit the hay earlier and review the material for the quizzes between 7 am and 10 am? You'd be surprised at how hoppin' the library is in the early AM.
Yes! I am taking an extremely easy English course. As in, if I read the books this summer (might not even happen), I'll have no work as long as I'm present during lectures. Then I have an upper level BCPM course that's not curved crazily (only 15 or so students, not really possible) and then 2 pre-reqs, including Physics. Which I suck at. Bad.

My schedule:
M/W/F: 9-3 with 3 hours of gaps
Tue: 1.5 hour class
Thur: 5 hours of classes (including Lab) in the afternoon. Which will be a killer because I don't get up until class.

Hoping to do 20 hours of ECs, including Saturday.

It's good that you know your strengths and weaknesses. Here's what you should do: instead of watching house of cards or whatever before bed, watch one of wikipremed's physics lectures. Wikipremed.com, the site was a savior for me. Video lectures for every possible topic. You can even start this summer if you want, you'll have to know it anyway for the MCAT.

For most people, it's more beneficial to study for shorter periods of time more often. Instead of six hours in one day, an hour a day would be better. And check out your resources at your school. I wish I had known about those in undergrad.

For most people, it's more beneficial to study for shorter periods of time more often. Instead of six hours in one day, an hour a day would be better. And check out your resources at your school. I wish I had known about those in undergrad.

This. Focused studying over 1-3 hours is much better than 9 hours straight of studying where you're not completely focused.

This. Focused studying over 1-3 hours is much better than 9 hours straight of studying where you're not completely focused.
I understand, I plan way too much time to study and then, don't. But is an hour or two really enough per classes like Physics and Biochem?

It's good that you know your strengths and weaknesses. Here's what you should do: instead of watching house of cards or whatever before bed, watch one of wikipremed's physics lectures. Wikipremed.com, the site was a savior for me. Video lectures for every possible topic. You can even start this summer if you want, you'll have to know it anyway for the MCAT.
I've never heard of them, I'll check it out. Thank you

I understand, I plan way too much time to study and then, don't. But is an hour or two really enough per classes like Physics and Biochem?
It's more like you would do shorter blocks but the same amount of total time per week. You will use this same strategy to study for the MCAT. Instead of studying biology for 8 hours one day, you would study 2 hours a day four times per week.

I think an hour or two per class spread out over 5-6 days a week should be enough. When midterms / finals roll around maybe increase it to 3-4 hours the week before your test.

I think an hour or two per class spread out over 5-6 days a week should be enough. When midterms / finals roll around maybe increase it to 3-4 hours the week before your test.
Woah that's barely anything but I guess it's more than I do now. :)

You study a minimum of 6 hours every day in addition to your classes and any hw? That's a ton of time for undergrad, talk to your teachers/learning center and see if they can help you find ways to be more effective with all that time studying.

You study a minimum of 6 hours every day in addition to your classes and any hw? That's a ton of time for undergrad, talk to your teachers/learning center and see if they can help you find ways to be more effective with all that time studying.
Lol, no I don't. I facebook, youtube, and Netflix.

Ah ok, I would still recommend going to the learning center, for myself and many others it is just a matter of finding how you learn best and how to study. As soon as I found out how to study effectively for myself (and not just copying others' methods of studying in the library for forever or cramming), it became pretty easy and I had more time, less stress, and I was confident in my abilities (which helped me do better and be able to be more involved in other things). You'd really be surprised on how much a night in day difference your performance can be once you find the correct method.

If you're still interested in some advice on changing your perspective and possibly becoming a more motivated, efficient student, please PM me!

Is it apple-bottom jeans, boots with the fur low? Or pre-med low? Very different in my experience.

Perhaps try studying with your phone and computer off.
I do and in the library I'll stare at a hole in the wall for 30 minutes haha. I think I just need to be more disciplined, as my best friend says.

Ah ok, I would still recommend going to the learning center, for myself and many others it is just a matter of finding how you learn best and how to study. As soon as I found out how to study effectively for myself (and not just copying others' methods of studying in the library for forever or cramming), it became pretty easy and I had more time, less stress, and I was confident in my abilities (which helped me do better and be able to be more involved in other things). You'd really be surprised on how much a night in day difference your performance can be once you find the correct method.
I will go there, but its kind of linked to advising which I've been going to for a while now. How did they help you determine what kind of learner you are?

Sit somewhere without a hole staring at you

Last edited:
So it's not really time management skills that are the problem. It's the fact that you don't study efficiently. Have you tried waking up and studying in the morning instead of at night? Have you tried to work out or do some other non-computer/TV activity prior to starting studying?

Seriously, install a plugin on whatever browser you use to block any site that isn't necessary for homework during the time periods you study. Not being able to get to Facebook and YouTube until you finish your work will make it easier to get that work done.