help me...im freaking screwed....=(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

popoman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
okie im a freshman in college starting my second semester. I got exactly 3.0 my first semester. "B" in chem, "B" english, "A" sociology, and "C+" in calculus...
i know i messed up bad... do i even have a chance for med school??.... everyone hear is not sure when they have 3.6-7 gpa???... so what should i do??? argggg...... should i apply for dental school, because i heard that it was easier.??... plz give me advise..lots of it

freaking out....
=(

Members don't see this ad.

First off, YOU NEED TO CHILL
eek.gif

There, better... Okay, I was once in your shoes. I had a 2.9 GPA after my first semester (about 3 years ago). Today, as I sit here and type, I know I'm going to med school next year. It was hard...REALLY HARD...to get my GPA up. I had to give up some of my social life (which was really awesome first semester) and spend lots more time in the library. But I did what it took and applied to med school this past June with a 3.7 cumulative GPA and a 3.8 science GPA. You probably notice where I'm goin' to med school next year -- I'm proud
biggrin.gif

A word of advice... Although you're a freshman, you are mature enough to decide whether or not you REALLY want to be a doctor or put yourself in a position where you can decide. You should shadow some doctors and volunteer in a clinical setting...that way you'll get a good sense of what you're working for and whether or not it's worth it... I think that this is THE most important thing you can do this year, besides raising that GPA!

Best of luck... If you choose the path I took, I guarantee you it'll seem ridiculously difficult and make you cry at times -- but that's part of what makes the way I feel right now so sweet.

-Attttchhhoo the Jerseyan
UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN '04

I got a 3.0 my first sememster of undergrad, and I did even worse over the next 3 semesters. I transferred schools and did great. My MCAT was competitive and I am now at the tail end of my first year. I had tons of extracurricular experience, good letters of recommendation, and a sincere desire to practice medicine. Don't get hung up on what other people's GPA's are. You just did one semester..big deal. By the time your a senior, your first semsester will seem like ancient history. A 3.0 is nothing to be ashamed of and don't be one of these guys who wants to kill themselves everytime they get a C. I had plenty of C's and I got here. Sure I had my doubts and even considered other areas of medicine since I didn't feel competitive. In the end I decided that being a doctor is all I ever wanted to be and I simply wouldn't be happy any other way. Calm down dude, you'll be fine. If I can do it anyone can.

[This message has been edited by UHS03 (edited 03-01-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
my only question...what in the world do dentistry and medicine have in common (ok somewhat tongue in cheek) but really...that doesn't say much for those who DO indeed wish to pursue halitosis and the like...I just don't see the paralell LOL...

You've got plenty of time man. Enjoy it while you can. While I have yet to be accepted in to med school, I, like the aforementioned was in your academic shoes. I think I had a 3.0 - 3.1 my first semester. I did absolutely nothing that semester, but I did learn a lot about how to manage time. From that point on I was actually able to increase my social life, even with the demanding schedule of sports. Because a human simply learns to adapt, I actually partied more and graduated with like a 3.8 cumulative. So relax, and just figure out little gaps in the day to finish the little things. This will leave many nights open, to take advantage of. I quickly learned that after you graduate this leisure time quickly evaporates. So do yourself a favor and enjoy life for a couple of minutes. You'll thank yourself.

Don't wory about the first semester grades.
As the other respondants have noted, it's pretty common that pre-meds get average grades the first year and get progressively better as you get more focused and settled in school. I got a 2.6 my first year and ended up graduating with a 3.4. I'm goin to a top 25 school next year, my first choice.

Schools look favorably upon people whose grades increase during school. Just keep the science grades up and you'll be fine.

Good Luck.

Popoman

Breath in...1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10....Breath out.

It is okay. Least you got a 3.0 and not a 2.5 or a 2.0.

Last semester I was talking to one of the docs on the admissions panal for Iowa. He was saying that it common to see a low GPA the first year. However, if you have that low GPA the first year you need to gradually increase it every semester. This pattern was displayed in atchoo, Uhs03, psi1467 and myself. This pattern shows that your human, you learn from mistakes and that you have truely buckled down for grad school.

I graduated early from high school and started college right away and let's just say that first semester was fun! Then I started to buckle down and lose more social life and now my GPA is really good.
A frame of mind I followed after that first semester was to worry about LEARNING the material, the grades will follow. If it is possible, form a study group and explain the topics in the class to each other. If you can explain a process to someone else then you really now it. Then have that same person you just explained it to, explain it back to you. This will help both you and your study group. Plus, working in a group is wonderful for emotional support during a hard class.

Good luck

thanx so much everyone....i feel so much better...sniff sniff.... thanks....=)