Help me learn amino acid metabolism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oompa loompa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
one carbon metabolism, three ring cycle: FH4, cobalamin, SAM :scared:

I know it is mostly just straight memorization, but I don't even understand the concepts behind them. Any enlightening websites out there? Care to share your own school's lecture powerpoints (if they're helpful; mine are not).

Members don't see this ad.

I know it is mostly just straight memorization, but I don't even understand the concepts behind them. Any enlightening websites out there? Care to share your own school's lecture powerpoints (if they're helpful; mine are not).

Concept is just enzyme-substrate like everything else in metabolism. The vitamin is converted to a cofactor for an enzyme, and it serves as an intermediate home for a carbon before it gets transferred to its new substrate.

You seem to be quite unhappy with your school. Maybe try a textbook.

our schools must have the same curriculum, because those specific topics are the most poorly addressed in the notes and the smallest part of our textbook

Members don't see this ad :)
our schools must have the same curriculum, because those specific topics are the most poorly addressed in the notes and the smallest part of our textbook

Ah, Twining and Dahms are at it again, I see. Brute force memorization, my friend. It took me 4-5 readings of the lecture notes before I even got a grasp of the "big picture" on which to pile the minutiae. The good news is that their exam questions are exceedingly fair compared to those found in the other block exams.

Dahms has the cholesterol/steroid hormone lectures, which are quite straightforward. It's Twining's material that is very well-concealed.