Wittgenstein

2+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2016
I guess I'm posting this mostly for reassurance and to gauge the caliber of schools to which I still stand a good chance of matching. Just got my Step 1 score back today: 232. I want to go heavily into academic research so am wondering if a top-5 or top-10 program is still within reasonable reach for me (the reddit spreadsheet has some insane, discouragingly high scores listed). Me:

Program: MD
School Rank: 30-60
Class Rank: ~3rd quartile
Extracurriculars: one or two cool, regular activities and president of a group
Third-Year grades: just started but no reason to expect them to suddenly rise or fall from those in my first two years (Third Quartile)
Research: my strongest aspect. 3 first-author pubs in good journals. 3 non-first author pubs. Several presentations.

As I type this out, my brain is telling me I'm being paranoid, but regardless, wouldn't mind hearing from those in my position or beyond as to what I should improve to strengthen my application for residency in 1 year. I went through some of the older posts on here but they've been dead for a while and I was hesitant to revive them. Thanks for reading!

Thama

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Within reach, yes. Slam dunk, maybe not unless you destroy 3rd year and step 2. Be aware that the best chance to match at a top program for most people is to avoid trying to pile into the same few places that every other med student is also trying to pile into (Boston, NYC, SF - you'll be living out of a broom closet in those cities anyway on a resident income and will rarely have time or money to enjoy the amenities).

Reactions: DokterMom