Help me make decision- should I reapply or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azmkv

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I am currently in a dilemma in making decision to reapply or not. Before I elaborate on my dilemma, here is my current status:

GPA: ~3.94
MCAT 1st take - 498 (128/120/127/126)
MCAT 2nd retake 503 (129/122/126/126)
MCAT 3rd retake - 512 (130/125/129/128)

Research exp: 2 years of full-time research. One second author pub in a reputable journal (PNAS), and another 2nd author pub [hopefully] at eLife (not sure if they will accept it or not at the moment, but it's submitted and we are just waiting).

Clinical hours: 11 months of part-time Medical assistant at a doctor's office. Not so many hours because I only worked on Saturday while doing research.

Volunteering hours: Plenty. Worked with undeserved communities and volunteer at my church. Was also a volunteering coordinator at my college for 3 semesters (1.5 yrs). I also love volunteering in general :p

TA at my undergrad: 2.5 yrs

A good number of leadership positions. Involved in a good number of organizations at college. Great recommendation letters (have 7).

ORM

Here is my dilemma I need help on:
Last cycle, I applied to both MD and DO schools and received 0 ii from MD and one acceptance letter from a DO school, which I am very thankful of. I think the issue was that I applied with my first two MCAT scores. I recently retook my 3rd MCAT because I wasn't receiving any love from neither MD nor DO, and ended up doing relatively better than my previous 2 attempts (although my CARS still sucks. I could never improve significantly on CARS because English is my 2nd language and was never a fervid reader... so my comprehension is a bit slower than native speakers :/ ). After my score was released, I got an acceptance letter from a DO school.

I am wondering if I should reapply to MD or just take the DO position. I have no problem attending a DO school; it's just annoying that I studied so hard for my 3rd mcat for no reason If i were never to reapply ugh.. Anyway, I am particularly interested in Interventional radiology or Radiation Oncology, which both of the fields are highly competitive.. Although I am very grateful of DO acceptance and ready to work really hard for those dreamy specialties, I am just afraid that I will never make it cut through because It's simply not an MD degree :(
Any thoughts? I am also not sure how schools will look in to my 3 attempts of MCAT with still sub-par CARS score lol..

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The good news is RadOnc is no longer competitive for the foreseeable future RIP in peace.

DOs match DR fairly frequently to my knowledge and you can go IR from there. I’d urge to look at your DO school’s historical match lists and see if you would be happy being a random name on that list in terms of specialty, location.

Unsure how much the 3rd mcat will help for MD as it’s always been quite perplexing to me how multiple mcat score cycles turn out so I won’t weigh in beyond that.

Reactions: 1 users
It's one of the original 5 DO schools. I think it's fairly reputable - making my decision even harder :/

Some of the MD secondaries ask if you’ve been accepted to medical school before (whether that’s MD, DO, international, etc) so you’re kind of taking a risk.

With your new MCAT score, I would argue that you are competitive for several MD schools such as VCU, Rosalind, SLU, Albany, etc. But there is no guarantee.

The good news is RadOnc is no longer competitive for the foreseeable future RIP in peace.

DOs match DR fairly frequently to my knowledge and you can go IR from there. I’d urge to look at your DO school’s historical match lists and see if you would be happy being a random name on that list in terms of specialty, location.

Unsure how much the 3rd mcat will help for MD as it’s always been quite perplexing to me how multiple mcat score cycles turn out so I won’t weigh in beyond that.

What happened to Rad Onc? Lol

Best case, you reapply and start an MD program next year. Worst case, you still don't get into MD programs, and will basically be blacklisted/overlooked by DO schools since you already turned down an offer. Even with the new stats, there is still a possibility that you won't get into an MD program. I would take the DO and start your career in medicine.

A third time 512 isn’t as impressive, especially with a 498 first time score. Keep that in mind. Schools see all these scores.

Just go DO. You have an acceptance. You can’t guarantee an MD acceptance if you do reapply and then what? Do you want to be a doctor or not? Even as an MD nothing is guaranteed if you don’t have the grades/board scores to show for it.

Reactions: 3 users

There’s a reason it’s no longer competitive

What happened to Rad Onc? Lol

Not gonna pretend to understand the root causes, but the match has been declining in competitiveness for a few years and this year many slots went unfilled which just a few years ago would’ve been unheard of for this specialty. Shame cuz I shadowed a couple of RadOncs and their jobs are pretty cool.

I feel like everyone is telling me to accept DO offer and run with it :/. I wish i never retook my 3rd MCAT because now I am regretting wasting ~3 months of studying for it lol.

The third MCAT seems like a GREAT strategy in case you weren't admitted to either an MD or DO program this cycle. You'd be ready to roll for reapplication. Sounds like you don't need that Plan B after all.

Members don't see this ad :)
It might be possible to defer the DO acceptance and reapply MD.

It might be possible to defer the DO acceptance and reapply MD.

You generally can’t do this. A lot of the time you agree to not reapplying when you take a deferral, just to prevent this.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I've heard of this policy. Also of people successfully reapplying MD and being accepted. Is a 512 really good enough to gamble and go double or nothing, with those multiple retakes? If the MD schools find out you turned down the DO acceptance you're dead. Completely dead.

I feel like everyone is telling me to accept DO offer and run with it :/. I wish i never retook my 3rd MCAT because now I am regretting wasting ~3 months of studying for it lol.

I totally get that, but instead of regretting wasting the 3 months just look at the fact that you won't have to go through the hell of re-applying! Also, use that MCAT as proof that when you buckle down and study, you can accomplish a lot - now you can apply those new study skills for STEP/boards!

OP dont go into Rad Onc. IR is competitive though so MD is almost essential

I totally get that, but instead of regretting wasting the 3 months just look at the fact that you won't have to go through the hell of re-applying! Also, use that MCAT as proof that when you buckle down and study, you can accomplish a lot - now you can apply those new study skills for STEP/boards!

How much of a gambler are you? The GPA is good and the research strong, but the MCAT isn't stellar. It's good, and if it was your only score it would make you a competitive MD applicant. Even as you are, you're a competitive MD applicant with a good shot at your state schools. Problem is, if they catch wind that you turned the DO acceptance down, you're toast. It may make sense if you would rather not become a doctor at all if you did not have a good chance at Rad Onc.

Take the DO acceptance and use some of your extra year of attending pay to buy a sports car. I’m sure you’ll feel better.

Try not to think of those months as wasted. You did what everyone should do and prepared for reapplication while you did not know if you would make it in or not. You made the right choice with the information you had at the time. Celebrate your success and move forward with your life.

Reactions: 2 users
IR is competitive, but don't spread misinformation: DOs can and do match into IR.

Yeah just not categorical. I think 17 DOs tried to match IR cat and something like 2 or 3 ended up matching?This was based on last years match data. Correct me if I'm wrong- I still don't really get how PGY2 positions work and how those are factored into the match.

OP I would just go with the DO acceptance.. If you try and reapply and don't get in anywhere you are SOL. If you weren't ok with going DO you shouldn't have filled out those applications and attended those interviews.

Thank you guys for all of your advises. I wish I had taken my first two MCAT more seriously so I did not have to go through what I am going through today, but I guess one can only hope. I worked really hard throughout my college and at my research, hoping that one day I will land a position at a MD school haha. I guess i should leave the past in the past and start moving forward. I decided to take the DO spot and stop caring :p

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you guys for all of your advises. I wish I had taken my first two MCAT more seriously so I did not have to go through what I am going through today, but I guess one can only hope. I worked really hard throughout my college and at my research, hoping that one day I will land a position at a MD school haha. I guess i should leave the past in the past and start moving forward. I decided to take the DO spot and stop caring :p
There is no shame in being a late bloomer! A 512 clearly proves that you can tackle med school :)

Now go crush it Mr. Future Rad Oncologist!

Do you sincerely wish to be a physician - the opportunity is open to you and you better take it. If you’re ready and willing and rather do something else, go ahead and leave the thought of medicine behind forever. These are your two choices, now pick.

No it isn’t. But if you’re looking at match statistics you should know that it’s true - way more people match DR and do IR fellowship than match integrated categorical IR from the jump.

No it isn’t. But if you’re looking at match statistics you should know that it’s true - way more people match DR and do IR fellowship than match integrated categorical IR from the jump.
Intresting. Are IR fellowships less competitive?

If you’ve made a good rep for yourself and made connections in your rad res then it’s easier to get fellowship than to get one of few categorical IR slots. Not a guarantee.

And if you feel that being able to do IR is your one and only path to happiness as a physician, no one can promise that even if you go to USMD.

Don't go be a self hating DO student once you realize all the BS your DO school put you through though. Just relax, do what's required of you, and enjoy the ride. Make sure you take both USMLE and COMLEX, do research, pass your classes, Honor all your rotations, and you should be find.

Last edited:
Go DO. You can match DR IR and RadOnc as a DO. Your app shows you will be able to handle med school and be fine for boards with a 512. You had a backup plan which was smart. Congrats on the acceptance to med school

At the end of the day just make sure you do whatever makes you happy!

Don't go be a self hating DO student once you realize all the BS your DO school put you through though. Just relax, do what's required of you, and enjoy the ride. Make sure you take both USMLE and COMLEX, do research, pass your classes, Honor all your rotations, and you should be find.
I agree there are a lot of self hating DO students out there. Do not be one of them OP. as a DO your success in the match is on you. There are a lot of DO schools will push COMLEX and primary care on you so if you want to do IR DR or Rad Onc don’t let them sway you. Study for and take BOTH Step and COMLEX if you are doing well in your classes it will open more doors for you

one word of advice. Statistics CAN lie. Statistically, you are less likely to go to a DO school than an MD school. Statistically, I shouldn't have matched at all. But always remember, you are much more than a statistic. When you work with people with a great attitude and work ethic and are passionate and all that, sometimes that counts for something, you know, occassionally. Be aware of the statistics, and see how you can beat it. And whatever the outcome, trust that this is how things are meant to be and have peace.

I agree there are a lot of self hating DO students out there. Do not be one of them OP. as a DO your success in the match is on you. There are a lot of DO schools will push COMLEX and primary care on you so if you want to do IR DR or Rad Onc don’t let them sway you. Study for and take BOTH Step and COMLEX if you are doing well in your classes it will open more doors for you
Haha I will never self-hate myself for choosing to go to DO school but I appreciate your concerns for me. I mean it's a medical school and I think getting into one medical school is something I should be proud of, not something to be ashamed of :p. I preferred MD school only because It would "potentially" open up more residency doors at the location where I want to practice, but for me becoming a doctor is more important and gambling doesn't sound like a smart move :/

one word of advice. Statistics CAN lie. Statistically, you are less likely to go to a DO school than an MD school. Statistically, I shouldn't have matched at all. But always remember, you are much more than a statistic. When you work with people with a great attitude and work ethic and are passionate and all that, sometimes that counts for something, you know, occassionally. Be aware of the statistics, and see how you can beat it. And whatever the outcome, trust that this is how things are meant to be and have peace.
Yep I agree. I tend to work hard, so I will put in the best efforts and see where my life leads me in the end

The uncertainty and stress of going through another cycle is completely not worth it!! Take the acceptance and go on a cruise or something!!! For a little under 2k, you can spend 22 nights cruising around Asia!!

Take your DO acceptance to the bank. Do not tempt the gods of fate.

The uncertainty and stress of going through another cycle is completely not worth it!! Take the acceptance and go on a cruise or something!!! For a little under 2k, you can spend 22 nights cruising around Asia!!
Link me that cruise!

Link me that cruise!

Google Search 2 for 1 MSC cruise. There are deals for Mediterranean, Northern Europe, Caribbean, and United Arab Emirates.

The one I was speaking about is under United Arb Emirates. You start in Dubai and end up in Hong Kong.

I did the Caribbean with my family. After taxes, around 500 per person for 7 nights.