Help me narrow down my list of schools!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kavity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all!
I have a 3.476 oGPA, 3.243 sGPA, planning to take the DATs early August and I'm not sure if I'm picking the appropriate schools to submit my app to.
I suffered a personal tragedy in my freshman year that took a toll on my grades (when I took Gen Chem I and II, as well as my math courses). However, since then, I retook Chem I (with an A) and Chem II (with a B+). I also got straight A's in Bio I and II, Organic Chem I and II, Biochem, Cell Biology and Neuroscience, and two 4.0 semesters. I also have a publication coming out based on my research, and I am continuing to conduct research with my current lab. Do you guys think this upward trend will be considered, or will they scrap my application based on the numbers I present? Without freshman year, both my science and overall GPAs would be around 3.76. Any advice on which schools I should apply to with my stats would be much appreciated.

I am a NJ resident, but I'm thinking of applying to the following schools. Any advice on which ones to add/cut from the list? Thanks, guys!

Definitely thinking of applying to:
1 Rutgers (University of Med and Dentistry New Jersey)
2 New York University: College of Dentistry
3 Boston University: Goldman School of Dental Medicine
4 LECOM
5 Roseman
6 Tufts University: School of Dental Medicine
7 Arizona School of Dentistry And Oral Health
8 University of Lousiville: School of Dentistry
9 ML?
10 USC
11 Nova Southeastern U: College of Dental Medicine?

Maybe schools:
12 Western University: College of Dental Medicine
13 Temple University: Kornberg School of Dentistry
14 Case School of Dental Medicine
15 Virginia Commonwealth U: School of Dentistry

Not so sure:
18 University at Buffalo: School of Dental Medicine
16 Columbia University: College of Dental Medicine
17 U of Pacific: Dugoni School of Dental Medicine
19 University of Michigan *missing sociology/micro bio
20 Midwestern University *missing micro bio, anatomy/phys
21 U of Nevada Las Vegas *missing anatomy
*I do plan to take micro bio this coming semester, but I'm not sure if I'll have time for anatomy/phys or sociology. Should I apply to those schools although I don't plan to take those prerequs, or are those definite no's?

I do want to narrow down this list to about 10-15 schools, if possible. Thanks for all your help, guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: