Help me narrow my application list to ten

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mochafreak

registered quaffer
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm going to register for the DAT soon and thought I should start narrowing my list of schools down to ten. Of course, with my grades maybe I should apply to more. So, either way I'd like opinions. I realize that the lack of DAT scores will hinder this. So, let's assume I'll get above a 20 or above on all sections (I believe I will).

Summary: BS Chemical Engineering 1994, cum gpa 2.56 sci. 2.4
I went to a well-respected engineering college in upstate New York a year early (my senior year of high school) and took calc-based physics, calc, etc. without taking physics, pre-calc or any AP courses in high school. Was also in a junior dorm my freshman year. NOT excuses, just background info. that may be taken into consideration.

Post-Bacc work: all 4.0 (including 18 credit semester of science w/biochem, genetics, etc.)
-One semester was part-time (but was working night shift), the rest were full-time.

Cum GPA after Post Bac should be 3.03, sci 2.87, BCP 3.29

Extracurriculars: will have the necessary amount of shadowing...also volunteer EMT/firefighter for two years, assisted living caretaker (1yr), paid EMT (1yr), phebotomist (1/2yr), should have excellent LORS.

Schools I'm lookin at: IU (state school), UOP, Creighton, U of Louisville, UDM, Case, UNLV, BU, NYU, Tufts, Temple, Buffalo (former NY resident), Marquette

Sorry so long, and thanks for any help anyone would like to offer. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would scratch Buffalo. I understand its tough for out of staters. But the rest look fine.

Actually, Buffalo accepts a good amount of out-of-staters. I think the majority ends up not going there because of the city itself and the weather. The school is pretty nice. I would've gone there if I was rejected from UMaryland.

Members don't see this ad :)
mochafreak said:
Hey everyone, I'm going to register for the DAT soon and thought I should start narrowing my list of schools down to ten. Of course, with my grades maybe I should apply to more. So, either way I'd like opinions. I realize that the lack of DAT scores will hinder this. So, let's assume I'll get above a 20 or above on all sections (I believe I will).

Summary: BS Chemical Engineering 1994, cum gpa 2.56 sci. 2.4
I went to a well-respected engineering college in upstate New York a year early (my senior year of high school) and took calc-based physics, calc, etc. without taking physics, pre-calc or any AP courses in high school. Was also in a junior dorm my freshman year. NOT excuses, just background info. that may be taken into consideration.

Post-Bacc work: all 4.0 (including 18 credit semester of science w/biochem, genetics, etc.)
-One semester was part-time (but was working night shift), the rest were full-time.

Cum GPA after Post Bac should be 3.03, sci 2.87, BCP 3.29

Extracurriculars: will have the necessary amount of shadowing...also volunteer EMT/firefighter for two years, assisted living caretaker (1yr), paid EMT (1yr), phebotomist (1/2yr), should have excellent LORS.

Schools I'm lookin at: IU (state school), UOP, Creighton, U of Louisville, UDM, Case, UNLV, BU, NYU, Tufts, Temple, Buffalo (former NY resident), Marquette

Sorry so long, and thanks for any help anyone would like to offer. :)

not to be rude, but, with your grades i would take the DAT before I assume anything at this point.

You really need over a 20 I would think. Take it, its not that easy.

good luck.

point taken...and not to be rude, but if I went to college when I was a bit more mature and studied something I didn't hate, I'd have a 4.0 right now. Ahhh, if, if, if...oh well, I realize the DAT isn't easy, but with the possible exception of the PAT section, I'm going to kick its @ss. ;)

mochafreak said:
point taken...and not to be rude, but if I went to college when I was a bit more mature and studied something I didn't hate, I'd have a 4.0 right now. Ahhh, if, if, if...oh well, I realize the DAT isn't easy, but with the possible exception of the PAT section, I'm going to kick its @ss. ;)

Scratch UOP if you don't think you'll do well on the PAT

Yup, I know...must do well on the PAT, must do well on the PAT...I don't think I'm gonna do bad, it just seems that's the hardest section (for everyone).

mochafreak said:
Yup, I know...must do well on the PAT, must do well on the PAT...I don't think I'm gonna do bad, it just seems that's the hardest section (for everyone).

I just took the DAT today and the PAT was my top score. Now if only I wouldn't have screwed up on Bio!

mochafreak said:
You are an engineering person. Did you check out PAT yet? I guess you can do well on PAT.

well, I'm a Chem E, not a Mech E. Although, I did take CAD for awhile. I'm not bad at spatial stuff...let's just say I'm a little bit more used to the chemistry stuff. :cool:

You need to do extremely well on the DAT. Study your ass off, apply to private schools early and you'll be fine.

You've only listed 13 schools, so I wouldn't narrow that down at all.

You're a non-traditional applicant, so who knows how the adcoms will respond to your application.

3 more schools won't kill your bank account, and it could provide you with additional opportunities for matriculation.

Good luck!

I would have thought Case would be a good one for you to apply at, but I heard from the admissions people that next year they are going to cut off everybody below a 3.3? Just a thought

I agree with Gavin's post given your not so stellar grades. Congrats in the future!

Yeah, I heard that Case may have instituted some cutoffs this last cycle too. I would say out of all of them, I'm least likely to apply there because of those rumors. Same thing with Nova and Arizona, even though they're newer schools...this whole thing could really suck. :scared:

BTW, Gavin, thanks for replying I certainly respect your opinions, since I realize you've been involved with admissions at Arizona. :thumbup:

MArquette- They have only a few out-of-state students. So- unless you apply very early and have very good letter of recommendations and a killer personal essay (and a secondary essay)- I'd take that off the list.

Sweeti8286 said:
MArquette- They have only a few out-of-state students. So- unless you apply very early and have very good letter of recommendations and a killer personal essay (and a secondary essay)- I'd take that off the list.

But they are a private school, right? I know LOTS of out-of-state students who have been accepted there.

Check out USC. Their tuition scares many off and may be a good addition to your list. Tufts will be difficult to get into as will Case if they set 3.3 as the cut off. I know Temple got so many apps this year that they had a 3.0, 18 DAT avg as their cut off. Marquette will be difficult unless your app is one of the first to arrive. The bottom line is with your stats you need the schools to look past the numbers. the only way for them to do that is if you app is received early. I am talking like no later than the first week of June. As July approaches schools will be overloaded with apps, you will become a number and most likely fall through the cracks.

Was Temple's 3.0 cut-off for all gpa's or just the cum gpa? For that matter, are other school's gpa cut-offs for cum or everthing? Only the sci gpa will be below 3.0. Do you guys think schools will look more at my BCP than the sci? My sci gpa is really an engineering gpa.

Isn't USC really competitive?

BTW, I plan on applying early, early, early...

Scratch most of those schools off your list and save some money. You'd most easily get into IU since it's your state school. About 50% of in-state applicants matriculate (and I assume more than that are accepted since some choose to go elsewhere), but a lot of people apply late in the cycle, so you'd be at a huge advantage to apply early.