Help me narrow my list of schools to apply to!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kzoo1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,
I really need help narrowing down my list of schools to. I've used geographical preferences to mostly narrow it down - mainly, I want to live somewhere with a big Jewish community. I feel like it's a bit top heavy - any help would be much appreciated.

CA resident, just graduated from Kalamazoo College, MI
Major: Biology
Minor: Physics (A non traditional, complex systems and neuroscience route)
MCAT: taking PR course and testing in august, so I'll be submitting a bit late for 2014 entry
cGPA: 3.55
sGPA: 3.4

ECs: Strong, as far as compared to most graduating seniors. EMT, research and thesis, lots of health policy and doctor shadowing. My passion is more in the way of patient care than research, however. I want to be a physician, am still open to research, but leaning towards practicing, and I am also strongly inclined to pursue a career as a physician educator (to teach in a med school after I matriculate).

Notes about me: Entered College at 16, suspended in first year for messing around in the dorms. My growth is well addressed in my PS, but still a very important part of my life and application.

Here's my list...it's quite long. I have a lot of the better schools on the list, and I want to narrow them down to something a bit more realistic and less reach, especially considering my GPA and late application / mcat score (i expect about 30 or so).

Things to consider in the order i want to narrow down:
1) Which schools (other than MI and CA schools that i have a tie to) do not tend to take many out of state students.

2) Which schools are more research heavy? Which focus more on patient care and possibly even teaching?

3) Take out NY medical schools that are in less Jewish communities?

4) Take out a few of the reach schools so i don't waste all my money.

MD
CA-
1. UCSF
2. UCLA
3. UCR
4. UCSD
5. UCI
6. UCD
7. USC
8. Loma linda
9. Stanford

MI -
10. UM
11. MSU
12. CMU
13. WMU
14. Oakland
15.Wayne state

New York-
16. Mount sinai
17. Einstein
18. cornell
19. NYU
20. NY Medical college
21. Stony Brook
22. Albany
23. Hofstra North Shore
24. Columbia

Other : These are places I could see myself living in the future that wouldn't come to mind at first, but have lower entry stats so they are more realistic, or have programs I really like.
24. Wisconsin
25. southern Illinois
26. Central florida
27. University of florida
28. Indiana University
29. Mayo

Foreign Schools-
31. Tel Aviv, Israel - Sackler
32. Beersheva, Israel - BGU

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
With the low GPA and applying late I agree to not waste your time on the top schools. I don't know how the other person assumed you had a 30. I would not trim down your list too much in the number sense just replace the top schools with ones that you could be offered a spot at.

Can't comment on the Israeli schools. Your GPAs are too low for the UC system (and below avg for MD schools as a whole, and if you're submitting the MCAT late, then that's going to affect your chances. The earlier the submission, the better, but taking the MCAT when you're NOT prepared will afftct your chances worse.

Depending upon what the IA is, it may very well hurt you. I've noticed my colleaguies tend to shy away from very young applicants. Probably something you're goign to have to explain convincingly at interviews.

Notes about me: Entered College at 16, suspended in first year for messing around in the dorms. My growth is well addressed in my PS, but still a very important part of my life and application.

DO schools all focus on patient care, expecially Primary Care. Ditto for state MD schools, but even some of them are research powerhouses (like UTx and U MI). And just because they're research intensive, doesn't mean that the quality of education is worse.

Overall, state schools are very home-team favorable, and so you have to be well above avg to catch the attention of, say, U WI. you're not, alas.

2) Which schools are more research heavy? Which focus more on patient care and possibly even teaching?

Suggest list below
MD

MI -
11. MSU
12. CMU
13. WMU
14. Oakland
15.Wayne state (I'd probably rule this one out)

New York-
20. NY Medical college
23. Hofstra North Shore

25. southern Illinois
26. Central florida
Rowan-NJ
Quinnipac
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson

If you're interested in the Jewish community, then the 3 Touros seem to be the place for you.

With the low GPA and applying late I agree to not waste your time on the top schools. I don't know how the other person assumed you had a 30. I would not trim down your list too much in the number sense just replace the top schools with ones that you could be offered a spot at.

It is in the OP, anticipated MCAT of 30. Which, as everyone knows is a little silly to use, but in the absence of anything else, is okay to use, the advice wouldn't change 34 and below.

Can't comment on the Israeli schools. Your GPAs are too low for the UC system (and below avg for MD schools as a whole, and if you're submitting the MCAT late, then that's going to affect your chances. The earlier the submission, the better, but taking the MCAT when you're NOT prepared will afftct your chances worse.

Depending upon what the IA is, it may very well hurt you. I've noticed my colleaguies tend to shy away from very young applicants. Probably something you're goign to have to explain convincingly at interviews.

DO schools all focus on patient care, expecially Primary Care. Ditto for state MD schools, but even some of them are research powerhouses (like UTx and U MI). And just because they're research intensive, doesn't mean that the quality of education is worse.

Overall, state schools are very home-team favorable, and so you have to be well above avg to catch the attention of, say, U WI. you're not, alas.

Suggest list below
MD

MI -
11. MSU
12. CMU
13. WMU
14. Oakland
15.Wayne state (I'd probably rule this one out)

New York-
20. NY Medical college
23. Hofstra North Shore

25. southern Illinois
26. Central florida
Rowan-NJ
Quinnipac
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson

If you're interested in the Jewish community, then the 3 Touros seem to be the place for you.

Strongly agree with this with one exception. SIU is pretty IS-selective and is very focused on rural-medicine. Probably not worth applying to.

MD
CA-
1. UCSF
2. UCLA
3. UCR
4. UCSD
5. UCI
6. UCD
7. USC
8. Loma linda

MI -
9.Wayne state
10. UM
11. MSU
12. CMU
13. WMU
14. Oakland

New York-
15. NY Medical college
16. Hofstra North Shore
17. Stony Brook -
18. Albany
19. Einstein

Other :
20. Rosy Franklin
21. Drexel
22. Temple
23. Jefferson
24. Wisconsin 27/3.43
25. Southern Illinois -
26. Central Florida -
27. University of florida -–
28. Indiana University -–
29. Rowan-NJ
30. Quinnipac

DO’s -
1. MSU
2. New york COM
3. Midwestern Chicago
4. Touro CA
5. Touro Harlem
6. Touro nevada
7. Western University of health sciences

Foreign Schools-
31. Tel Aviv, Israel - Sackler
32. Beersheva, Israel - BGU

You're not paying attention! Your GPAs are well below avg for the UC system. Yes, you're within the range of their matriculants, but still the avg for each of these schools is in the 3.7-3.8 range. That's some pretty heavy competition, considering you'll be applying late too. At best, try UCLA, UCD, and maybe UCR and UCI if you match their mission.

Your targeting OOS public schools is misguided. MSU, for example, while being right in your gpa range, only accepts a minority of OOS students. U NV might be more in grasp, but they take only 20% OOS'ers. Please keep in mind that state schools heavily favor the home team...so if you want in, you'd better be good. UM is a top tier school so I don't see much hope there. SIU places heavy emphasis on people into rural medicine in, suprise, southern IL.

Suggest investing in the MSAR to see where your stats match up best. Of course, until you get your MCAT in, it's kinda academic.

My suggested list:

12. CMU
13. WMU
14. Oakland

New York-
15. NY Medical college
16. Hofstra North Shore
18. Albany

Other :
20. Rosy Franklin
21. Drexel
22. Temple