1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Help Me Please!!!!!!!!When should I take the test????

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by stookie, Nov 26, 2005.

1. stookie

stookie Slick Nasty
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am graduating in May, and I have not taken physics. I am going to take it over the summer. Should I enroll in a Kaplan course and learn physics through the course and take the test in april of should I take physics over the summer and take the test in august? Also, should I take physics at a community college or at a 4 year school?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Friendly

Friendly Resident
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Kaplan is for review only. I guarantee that you'll end up retaking the MCAT if you take it without any physics background. You should delay the test, IMHO. If physics is the only class taken at CC, most medical schools will not care. In fact, I found out that a few of my classmates in medical school did the forst two years of their degree at a junior college. As long as your MCAT is acceptable, nobody will care, honestly.

4. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

I agree with Friendly - Physics is integral to the MCAT. Don't waste your $200 & time & emotional energy taking the MCAT unless you have taken Physics. Roughly half of the PS section will be Physics questions. My MCAT had more conceptual questions - understand the relationship between variables and tell us what happens when we change one of them - other people say their test was numbers intensive. Unless you learn the material you can't answer either type.
    About where you take Physics.... well, I think you should take it where you will best learn the material and not necessarily where you get the best grade. Breezing through an unchallenging Physics class won't help you on the MCAT. You may find the better class is at the CC.

5. Div_MD2B

Div_MD2B Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i would seriously recommend not taking the mcat without taking physix...i took the mcat in august and had not taken physix yet because of the way my pre-med program is set up...just like you, i thought that may be if i take the kaplan course in the summer...it would help me get through the physix on the mcat. my kaplan teacher sucked...and in fact, physical was the section that i majorly screwed up on. i'm taking physix1 this sem and physix2 next sem and will be takin the mcat in april again. i agree with one of the other ppl that u should take the course wherever u think u'll learn the best...if i were you, i would inquire from other students about the teachers who teach course at the cc and the 4 yr. skool...after all, i think it would be better to take a course where u could learn the most, even if the prof is hard...because our mcat scores matter much more than if we get As or Bs in classes.

6. sweetstuff25

7+ Year Member

i'm sure high school physics would suffice mainly becuz it's almost identical to the material you learn in university. but then again, it's hard to even remember what happened yesterday needless to say years ago in highschool.

7. stookie

stookie Slick Nasty
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Would taking it in august put me at a disadvantage when i apply to medical schools because i would have to wait for the scores? I would like to apply for med school in 2006 for entrance in 2007. When does the application cycle begin?

8. DarkWingDuck

DarkWingDuck Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

You will absolutely NOT learn physics in a Kaplan course. Save your money.

9. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Taking the August MCAT puts you at a distinct disadvantage. The question for you is if you want to put yourself in that position or if the rest of your application is strong enough to overcome that problem. Talk with your pre-med advisor or make an appointment with the dean of admissions at a local medical school. You don't even have to be interested in that school, you just need feedback.
    Also, don't listen to the person who said high school physics is enough. Put yourself in the best position possible for the MCAT. Prepare well, and that includes taking the pre-reqs. No other test is as important for your future as the MCAT. Don't handicap yourself going into it.

10. stookie

stookie Slick Nasty
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My application is not strong. I am still deciding if I should take post bacc classes or go for a masters. I can talk with my advisor at school but he's a tool. Thanks for the advice everyone.

11. Cooolguy

Cooolguy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

dont take it, take it in august. You dont want to rush