Dec 11, 2010
Status
Hello Group

I remember years ago student doctor network helped me a lot to choose my profession. Unfortunately after a lot of student debt and years of graduate school I came to the realization that I do not enjoy my job anymore. I AM GOING TO APPLY TO MEDICAL SCHOOL IN PURSUE OF A NEW CAREER. I WANTED TO KNOW HOW MANY SCHOOLS HAVE YOU GUYS APPLIED FOR?

THANK YOU

Nov 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello Group

I remember years ago student doctor network helped me a lot to choose my profession. Unfortunately after a lot of student debt and years of graduate school I came to the realization that I do not enjoy my job anymore. I AM GOING TO APPLY TO MEDICAL SCHOOL IN PURSUE OF A NEW CAREER. I WANTED TO KNOW HOW MANY SCHOOLS HAVE YOU GUYS APPLIED FOR?

THANK YOU
Good for you! Make sure you mention that in your personal statement and secondaries.

I believe the average is around 10-15 schools. But my application was weak, so I decided to apply to 28 schools.

transfec

Class of 2015
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Good for you! Make sure you mention that in your personal statement and secondaries.

I believe the average is around 10-15 schools. But my application was weak, so I decided to apply to 28 schools.
28!? Damn. I hope your hands recovered from all that typing!

OP
W
Dec 11, 2010
Status
28!? Damn. I hope your hands recovered from all that typing!
I applied to 10 schools before and got an interview for 4. I wanted to know how things have changed. In the hospital I talked to a doctor from yemen who applied to 100 residency programs. It's good to know how many people are applying these days. Thanks so much.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
I applied to 10 schools before and got an interview for 4. I wanted to know how things have changed. In the hospital I talked to a doctor from yemen who applied to 100 residency programs. It's good to know how many people are applying these days. Thanks so much.
If you are an international medical graduate seeking a US residency, you'd have to apply more widely also. Besides the location of your medical school, the competitiveness of your numbers and ECs also helps to determine the number of schools you should apply to.

ucsfstudents

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2009
Status
Medical Student
The less competitive you are, the more schools you will have to apply to. Very competitive students can apply to an average of 10 schools. Moderately competitive students, to 15-20. Average students apply to 25-30 schools. Below average students apply to more. The more you apply to, the better your chances of getting in someone, but the more costly it is. Apply wisely to schools you actually have a change in getting into. The above numbers are just estimates. Every applicant is different and chooses a number that fits them.

OP
W
Dec 11, 2010
Status
The less competitive you are, the more schools you will have to apply to. Very competitive students can apply to an average of 10 schools. Moderately competitive students, to 15-20. Average students apply to 25-30 schools. Below average students apply to more. The more you apply to, the better your chances of getting in someone, but the more costly it is. Apply wisely to schools you actually have a change in getting into. The above numbers are just estimates. Every applicant is different and chooses a number that fits them.
thanks for your advice. I still have not taken my MCAT so I don't know how competitive my application will be. But I have 4.0 GPA from my graduate school. I am a pharmacist. I was also wondering about physics. for pharmacy school I took physics that was algebra based as an undergrad. Do I need to take physics with cal base for medical school. I have called few medical schools and they all referred me back to their web site, but the website only states one year of physics. I don't know if I should retake physics or not! Any in sight would be appreciated.

whimsical

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
Status
MD/PhD Student
algebra-based physics will be fine.

The only program I've seen that required calc-based physics was HST at Harvard, but otherwise, not an issue.

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
thanks for your advice. I still have not taken my MCAT so I don't know how competitive my application will be. But I have 4.0 GPA from my graduate school.
Grad school GPA doesn't matter. It's your undergrad GPA that will count.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
If you went through a 6-year pharmacy program that included undergrad coursework, then you would divide out the undergrad and grad classes and label them accordingly so that two cGPAs and BCPM GPAs would be calculated.

IlDestriero

Ether Man
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
The ivory tower.
Status
Attending Physician
It sucked! For my UPenn secondary, I just copied and pasted paragraphs from my primary application. I just lost interest at the end...
That's funny. Half-assing your application to arguably the best medical school in the country.:thumbup: Maybe they didn't notice.

Last edited:

Ursa

woof
5+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hello Group

THANK YOU
Should be pursuit, not pursue. Don't make mistakes like this in application essays, your PS, or the writing section for the MCAT.

OP
W
Dec 11, 2010
Status
If you went through a 6-year pharmacy program that included undergrad coursework, then you would divide out the undergrad and grad classes and label them accordingly so that two cGPAs and BCPM GPAs would be calculated.
I did 5 years of undergrad and 4 years of grad. Thanks!

OP
W
Dec 11, 2010
Status
how many three year md programs are out there? Does anyone have any thought on these programs?