1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Help Me Pleeeese!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by lytesnsyrens, Oct 15, 2002.

1. lytesnsyrens

lytesnsyrens The Phoenix...
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    i have a quick question here. My science GPA is not all too hot (I'm making C's) but my overall GPA is about 3.3. Does that mean I'm pretty much outta luck here when it comes to getting into DO school? I have plenty of experience (working as an EMT in an ER) and I know I can get some good LOR's from the doc's I work with, but will my science GPA still hurt me too much? I've tried to bring it up, but I still can't seem to reach that 4.0. (or even 3.0 for that matter) I mean I did fine in Bio and Anatomy, it's just chem that's killin' me. someone please help me out here with some advice. Thanks so much,
    Selah +pissed+

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You're not out of luck, but you'll have to sell yourself well. Do be sure to emphasize your ECs. You'll also need to do decently on the MCAT.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of med school classses are science, so that science GPA is somewhat indicative.

4. rpames

rpames Optometrist
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    You are not totally out of luck, but your sci does need to be above a 2.5 if not 2.75 to even be considered. That is usually the cut off. I feel you pain, chem kills me too.

5. Qafas

Qafas Jarhead
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    if all else fails, get yourself into a decent post-bacc program. I"m not sure what your MCAT score is like or if you've even taken it yet, but I'm guessing that if you're not doing really well in your science classes then you could use some help with preparing for the MCAT as well. A post-bacc can help.

with regards

6. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just curious Qafas, are there any PostBaccs that are slanted towards osteopathy? or are there any postbaccs offered by DO universities?

Thanks,

WannabeDO

7. maysqrd

maysqrd Go A's!
    7+ Year Member

Hey Russell,

I found this in my pile of "stuff"

Post-bacc at osteopathics schools:

Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine (requires application to OU med school on file)

Michigan State University (requires application thru AMCAS ????)

The list of post-bacc programs that I have is three years old so I don't know if the data that I have is still accurate. If anyone wants more info on what I have let me know. I have a list of about 67 post bacc programs and I don't want to type it all out here.

8. Doctortobee

Doctortobee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I believe the OU program is for minorities only

9. maysqrd

maysqrd Go A's!
    7+ Year Member

The document that I have says OU is interested in minority groups but the the requirements for admission are: US citizen/permanent resident. Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college/university. Application to Ohio Unversity College of Osteopathic Medicine. MCAT. Interview.

So your guess is as good as mine as to whether or not you must be a minority.

10. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks Brenda,

I also found out that LECOM has a PostBacc. But its expensive! 6 grand a semester for tuition. Too much cabbage for an old family guy like me. Unless I put my wife to work in a coal mine or something :D

Russell

11. Qafas

Qafas Jarhead
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The above posters are more knowledgable about Post-bacc. programs at Osteopathic institutions than I am; I really don't know of any other specific ones. I doubt there are any post-bacc. programs that are specifically geared towards osteopathic medicine. You must remember that the purpose of post-bacc. programs is to strengthen your understanding of basic sciences, which is the same regardless of what type of school you apply to. A post-bacc. program is not going to teach you much, if anything at all, about osteopathy.
    I myself did the post-bacc. at MCP Hahnemann univ. in Philadelphia last year.

with regards

12. slave4MD

slave4MD Member
    7+ Year Member

Everyone has a high overall gpa, so your 3.3 is merely average for DO schools.

Your science gpa is of higher importance. Even a 3.0 for science is considered below average for DOs. But if you're not even making that, you're not doing well at all.

13. lytesnsyrens

10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    thank's slave, and for putting it ever so nicely too. +pissed+
    selah

14. DocGeorge7

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    LECOM has a post - bac program as well. I am currently enrolled in it and think it is a great program. The main focous of the program is to strengthen your understading of the basic sciences. Right now there are 46 people in the program. This is a non degree program and is 1 year in length. The school is great. The facilities are new and the facutly are great. As far as having a emphesis on osteopathic medicine, there are no scheduled classes for it. We have had one lecture on it as a filler lecture due to the professors attending the AOA confrence. At the end of the semester we have a lecture on the history of osteopathic medicine, but that's the extent of it. This is a good program to consider if you are thinking about doing post-bac.

15. slave4MD

slave4MD Member
    7+ Year Member

In case you don't know, you still have hopes of attending reputable Carribean schools, namely SGU, Ross, AUC, or Saba.

You spend only 1-2 years there, and do rotations at US hospitals. And you get an MD opposed to a DO.

But the problem has more to do with getting out with an MD, not getting in.

16. tercisima1

tercisima1 Junior Member

We can't know if we will get in or not. Certain things help, but if you aren't getting those things done, don't give up. If you want to be a doctor badly enough, go to grad school, take things over, and you will eventually make it. When you do it will be well worth it. If it isn't right away, you will at least be ready when you do go. You can always apply again.
    The doctor who's footsteps i hope to follow in didn't have the best app., probably not even the best grades in med school, but if i needed a doctor, he would be it. He has something more, that can't be measured on a 4.0 scale, and an interviewer saw that.

When I say all this, I'm also speaking to the people who enjoy phrasing the truth in the most neg. possible way for kicks. Realize that tact and compassion are part of being a doctor. By all means, tell the truth, but tell it all, and tell it nicely. If you want to be a doctor half as badly as the people posting worries, then you should know how much hearing something about your chances said with that attitude can hurt. If you did realize that, and said it anyway, I'd rather have the person you are speaking to as my doctor over you any day.
    "any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain, and most fools do." -Benjamin Franklin

17. San_Juan_Sun

San_Juan_Sun Professor of Life
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :) I always love to see undergrads plugging DO over MD, or vice versa. It reminds me of a paralegal program dropout talking to a 3rd year law student that I know. The conversation went like this:

Paralegal: "So what kind of law will you be practicing?"

Law Student: "Probably personal injury and criminal defense stuff."

Paralegal: "Oh, i would NEVER practice criminal defense law."

Law Student: "You'll never practice any law."

IMO, many undergrads have yet to learn how much they don't know about medicine.

18. maysqrd

maysqrd Go A's!
    7+ Year Member

I agree!!! There is something to be said about bedside manner and some people just don't have it.

19. slave4MD

slave4MD Member
    7+ Year Member

That's not the point here.

This gentleman said he wants to be a doctor but doesn't think he'll get in because of low grades.

Responding to him with good bedside manners won't change it and I responded on what to do from what he has.

20. lytesnsyrens

10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    For your information, slave, this gentleman is a woman. :rolleyes:

21. maysqrd

maysqrd Go A's!
    7+ Year Member

Selah,

As per the Osteopathic Medical College Booklet for Enter Class of 2002

AZCOM Min gpa sci and overall: 2.75
    CCOM same as above
    DMU no published minimum
    Kirkville min sci and cum gpa: 2.5
    LECOM min overall gpa: 2.7
    MSUSOM min sci and cum gpa: 2.7
    NYCOM min cum and sci gpa: 2.75
    NOVA no published minimum
    OUCOM no published minimum
    OKLAHOMA min cum gpa: 3.0
    PCOM no published min
    PCSOM no pub min
    TCOM no pub min
    TUCOM not published but I know that currently is science 3.0, overall 3.0 (I say currently because they reserve the right to change it during the application cycle)
    UHS no pub min
    UMDNJ min sci and cum gpa: 3.0 for in-state applicants
    UNECOM min cum gpa: 2.7
    COMP min sci and cum gpa: 2.5
    WVSOM no pub min

The average for all DO schools is usually 3.4 for cummulative and 3.3 for science.

So you're not out of the ballpark for many of these schools.
    Keep following your goal and eventually you will make it.

22. slave4MD

slave4MD Member
    7+ Year Member

Those minimum averages you posted are the grades that are required just to apply.

Those averages tell you nothing about the application pool, whose gpas and mcats get higher year by year.

23. tercisima1

tercisima1 Junior Member

bedside manner doesn't change the truth, but it may change how it makes someone feel about that truth. If you are really so concerned with people hearing the truth, you should say it in a way that will make them receptive to it. While I agree that honesty is important,and no one wants smoke blown up their...... You seemed to think that the truth made being kind irrelevant; I believe you said "that's not the point here." Perhaps you should consider that, while being kind does make candor a challenge sometimes, being a compassionate person is never "not the point." I'm not some bleeding heart- rose- colored-glasses- idiot; I think the truth isn't nice a good bit of the time, but I also think that makes being gentle with it all the more important.