Help Me Rank 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

painneurorank

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone help me rank the following? I want a good program with not too much inpatient, good balance of procedure volume and time to read/study:

1. UC Davis
2. UC Irvine
3. University of South Florida
4. University of Pittsburgh
5. Dartmouth University
6. Eastern Virginia University

Members don't see this ad.

1. UC Irvine
2. Univ Pitt
3. Dartmouth
4. UC Davis
5. Univ South FL
6. EVU

Thanks so much!

Any reason UC Davis so low? I thought they had a premier program...

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year I interviewed at UC Davis and UPMC - very impressed by both. Think I had Davis ranked slightly above Pitt but would have been happy to train at either.

I interviewed at UC Davis, Irvine and Dartmouth. They were all fantastic programs so congrats on having a great list. I had a good friend go through UC Irvine and he loved it. I don't know anything about the other programs.

We probably met when you interviewed at our program. I agree with "a witty fool"'s ranking except switching UC Irvine with UC Davis. Good luck.

Next up. How would you all rank these programs? Appreciate all opinions
1) UVA
2) Cedars Sinai
3) Rush
4) NYU
5) Mount Sinai
6) UC-Davis
7) Case Western
8) UIC, University of Illinois-Chicago

Anybody have any thoughts on UWash (Seattle) this season? Thanks in advance.

I interviewed at UC Davis, Irvine and Dartmouth. They were all fantastic programs so congrats on having a great list. I had a good friend go through UC Irvine and he loved it. I don't know anything about the other programs.

the Irvine program has changed since we interviewed. we'll see how much they are interested in non-anesthesia applicants going forward after the match

Roughly 4 years ago, upmc was not very interventional and plenty of inpatient. Things may have changed.

1) UVA
2) Cedars Sinai
3) Rush
4) NYU
5) Mount Sinai
6) UC-Davis
7) Case Western

What do you all think about these programs? Agree?

Hi everyone, reading through my notes and getting all confused. Would really appreciate your help.

- I'm looking for a program that is collegial but hard working with exposure to a wide range of bread and butter and advanced/high risk procedures.
- Hoping to be at a place that offers strong mentorship and career guidance.
- I'm on the fence on private vs academic but would like to be at a program that would support and prepare me for both routes.
- While reputation is not everything, I figure name recognition wouldn't hurt in opening additional job opportunities so it will likely be playing into my decision making.
- Location as of right now, is not a major priority. It's one year, getting the best possible training is my main goal. Not sure where I want to end up but originally from the West Coast.

BIDMC
MGH
Davis
U Mich
Cleveland Clinic
U Penn
West LA VA
UC Irvine

Last edited:
1) UVA
2) Cedars Sinai
3) Rush
4) NYU
5) Mount Sinai
6) UC-Davis
7) Case Western

Looks good to me. Rush is solid - you'll be worked there. UVA is excellent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks good to me. Rush is solid - you'll be worked there. UVA is excellent.

Anyone have thoughts on where to put NYU and mount Sinai on this list? Seems like their only draw is location and maybe name recognition at NYU?

Last edited:
Hi everyone, reading through my notes and getting all confused. Would really appreciate your help.

- I'm looking for a program that is collegial but hard working with exposure to a wide range of bread and butter and advanced/high risk procedures.
- I'm on the fence on private vs academic but would like to be at a program that would support and prepare me for both routes.
- While reputation is not everything, I figure name recognition wouldn't hurt in opening additional job opportunities so it will likely be playing into my decision making.
- Location as of right now, is not a major priority. It's one year, getting the best possible training is my main goal. Not sure where I want to end up but originally from the West Coast.

BIDMC
MGH
Davis
U Mich
Cleveland Clinic
U Penn
West LA VA
UC Irvine

CCF
BIDMC
MGH
U Mich
U Penn
UC Davis
UC Irvine
West LA VA

Looking for highly interventional and great reputation for the job hunt after fellowship. Not sure where I want to settle down so need a big nationwide reputation. But don't want to work long resident hours and long weekends.

BIDMC
Columbia
Mayo
MD Anderson
MGH
Northwestern
Sinai
St. Lukes Roosevelt
UCI

Looking for highly interventional and great reputation for the job hunt after fellowship. Not sure where I want to settle down so need a big nationwide reputation. But don't want to work long resident hours and long weekends.

BIDMC
Columbia
Mayo
MD Anderson
MGH
Northwestern
Sinai
St. Lukes Roosevelt
UCI

go for MGH, BIDMC, or MD Anderson

What about Mayo or Northwestern? What is the consensus on how these programs stack up nationally in terms of training and reputation?

Mayo is great but difficult (not impossible) to break into from an outside institution.

Reactions: 1 user
How many candidates did UCI interview? They only have 2 spots, but I have heard so many people interviewed there.

How many candidates did UCI interview? They only have 2 spots, but I have heard so many people interviewed there.

they used to interview 80 for 2. not sure about now

One program I interviewed at received around 300 applications, interviewed around 30, for 4 spots. I thought those numbers were crazy. 80 for 2 would be wild.

BIDMC
Columbia
Mayo
MD Anderson
MGH
Northwestern
Sinai
St. Lukes Roosevelt
UCI

BIDMC
Mayo
Northwestern
MGH
MD Anderson/Columbia
Sinai/SLR/UCI

Last edited:
Not very sure how to rank these programs. Any advice would be appreciated.
CCF
UW
UPMC
Emory

the first year of the match, CCF went down to the 18 on their ROL to fill 10 spots. the second year of the match, they filled in their top 14, knowing that their number 1 was not going to rank CCF above their home institution. it's a fantastic place to train. Lot of variety in patients, diagnoses, procedures. fluoro, US, OR based procedures, etc. biacuplasty, pumps, stim, kyphoplasty, all of the spine, head and neck procedures you have ever read about. that doesn't mean you will be a pro at pumps, C1-2, gasserian, sphenopalatine when you leave, but all of those are being done on a daily basis. all of the fellows produce at least 2-3 manuscripts during the year. some put out even more. a lot of autonomy to pursue interests. Dr. Mekhail is a scholar and a great mentor. cleveland is an affordable and easy place to live. chicago is 1 hour away by southwest. NYC 2.5 if you need to get away during the weekend.

Why no love for the nyc programs(sinai, nyu) Figure NYU has a recognizable name?

Yah but I learned on the interview trail that a big name doesn't guarantee you anything. One year one program is hot, then next year people leave and it all changes. I rank based on what I hear through a long grapevine.

the first year of the match, CCF went down to the 18 on their ROL to fill 10 spots. the second year of the match, they filled in their top 14, knowing that their number 1 was not going to rank CCF above their home institution. it's a fantastic place to train. Lot of variety in patients, diagnoses, procedures. fluoro, US, OR based procedures, etc. biacuplasty, pumps, stim, kyphoplasty, all of the spine, head and neck procedures you have ever read about. that doesn't mean you will be a pro at pumps, C1-2, gasserian, sphenopalatine when you leave, but all of those are being done on a daily basis. all of the fellows produce at least 2-3 manuscripts during the year. some put out even more. a lot of autonomy to pursue interests. Dr. Mekhail is a scholar and a great mentor. cleveland is an affordable and easy place to live. chicago is 1 hour away by southwest. NYC 2.5 if you need to get away during the weekend.
Thank you. I agree that CCF is a great program.

Resquesting thoughts on:

_ MGH vs Davis

_ UMich vs U Penn

Where would you all place _ West LA VA PMR Pain fellowship in the list noted above?

- I'm looking for a program that is collegial but hard working with exposure to a wide range of bread and butter and advanced/high-risk procedures.

Resquesting thoughts on:

_ MGH vs Davis

_ UMich vs U Penn

Where would you all place _ West LA VA PMR Pain fellowship in the list noted above?

- I'm looking for a program that is collegial but hard working with exposure to a wide range of bread and butter and advanced/high-risk procedures.

MGH >> UPenn > Davis > UMich

I'd appreciate any input on:

UCSD
Wake Forest
Penn
UNC
Utah
Arizona
Cedars
Emory

enough already. unless you plan on going into academia, stop with the minutiae.

the absolute best program is the one that you can graduate from.

Why no love for the nyc programs(sinai, nyu) Figure NYU has a recognizable name?

Haven't ived at Cali n NY...but have heard great things about Davis...UVA is awesome as well...but don't know how they would compare with each other...I have heard not so good stuff about Rush...Case might be better than NYU, again am not sure...

Hi,

Can anyone help me rank the following? I want a good program with not too much inpatient, good balance of procedure volume and time to read/study:

1. UC Davis
2. UC Irvine
3. University of South Florida
4. University of Pittsburgh
5. Dartmouth University
6. Eastern Virginia University

Great options you have got...I think....
Davis
Dartmouth
Pitt
Irvine
USF
EVU

Pitt has what you're looking for and I think UC Irvine too plus the attractive location, so that's why I ranked them 1 and 2.

1. UC Irvine
2. Pitt

Still not sure how to rank Pitt and Emory. Any more suggestions? Thanks

I don't know either program personally, but my suggestion is to go where you have the greatest prospects of staying post-fellowship.

We should submit our lists as the deadline approaches. Good luck everyone.

I don't know either program personally, but my suggestion is to go where you have the greatest prospects of staying post-fellowship.
I do not think I would stay in either city post-fellowship. Thanks a lot. I think they have comparable overall reputations but UPMC is more academic. I have submitted my list yesterday. Good luck to everyone.

I really liked MD Anderson and Texas but I've heard that they work very long hours, particularly for a fellow (maybe even close to resident hours). Has anyone else heard of MD Anderson being a "workhorse" program? Any thoughts?

yes, but its only for a year. and regardless of what new residents and fellows say, having done 2 residencies and a fellowship, the hours you put in do in some fashion equate to the amount of learning you get.

case in point, there is no way any advanced practice provider (ie NP or PA) with all the training they supposedly do will come close to what an intern used to learn in 4 months.

of course, such a provider with 4+ years of work experience under their belt working alongside an attending physician obviously has significant knowledge-base, but not a fresh grad.

1. UC Irvine
2. Univ Pitt
3. Dartmouth
4. UC Davis
5. Univ South FL
6. EVU

I changed my mind... UC Davis is premier and one of the best programs in the West. I'd rank this way:

1. UC Davis
2. UC Pitt
3. UC Irvine
...rest

Looks about right to me.

MGH >> UPenn > West LA VA > Davis

MGH = UC Davis >> UPenn > West LA VA

Good luck to us for this match...

I'd appreciate any input on:

UCSD
Wake Forest
Penn
UNC
Utah
Arizona
Cedars
Emory

I interviewed at both Emory and Utah. Utah did not seem to have a high enough procedure volume. The hospital is beautiful and the staff was nice but I didn't think I would feel prepared to be on my own, for even bread and butter spine procedures. They are strong in cancer pain, though.
Emory seemed more balanced. There are a lot of sites so if you don't like driving around Atlanta, then don't go there. You do get decent experience with vertebroplasties/kyphoplasties/SCS trials/permanent implants and some pumps (only for cancer pain). Acute pain call didn't seem bad. Plenty of bread and butter spine procedures. They do a lot of procedures with the PM&R department (ortho/spine group).