Drsecondchance

2+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2018
Hi guys! For anyone familiar with the Texas schools, all TMDSAS schools have to be ranked in the order in which you'd want to go to them and you'll be matched to one of them based on a mysterious algorithm where the schools rank the candidates and the candidates rank the schools. Further, I have received interviews from both AMCAS TX schools and accepted to UIW. What I'm left with is a mind-boggling list of Texas schools to rank and decide among, so I wanted to ask for your feedback. My interests are in border health, global health, rural health, Infectious diseases, pediatrics and family medicine.
The contestants, in order of interview request: UTMB, PLFSOM (accepted pre-match), SHSU, UHCOM, UIWSOM, and interviews upcoming at McGovern UTH, Baylor, Texas Tech Lubbock, and TCU-UNT.
Here's how I have them ranked currently in my head and heart:

1) Baylor: one of the two best schools in Texas. I absolutely lost my mind when I got their interview! I love everything about this school except the fact that I'm a dark-horse candidate there. 3 hours from my husband.
2) UT McGovern: also a powerhouse school, but I'm uncertain if it's really a good place for a primary care focus. If you have a thought about that, let me know! 3 hours from my husband.
3) UTMB: My lifelong passion for infectious diseases and Global Health make this one a great fit. I know no matter what shape my interests take, they'll be there to support me. Also, relaxed atmosphere and beaches! 4 hours from my husband.
4) Tech???: I'm really uncertain between here and El Paso. I know they're a better established school, but politically, I'm the polar opposite of Lubbock locals and I'm not sure the area fits me as well as Foster, but the education here is supposed to be top notch and med students here seem happy. Having an incredibly difficult time with this one. 6 hours from my husband.
5) Foster???: I'm in LOVE with this school! I feel at home here and have loved it since I toured here five years ago. I have heard that there are some questionable things about education but can't seem to find any more details than that. My interests in infectious diseases and border health make this seem like a really good fit, but I'm not sure. 8 hours from my husband, the thing that scares me the most.
6) UHCOM???: The innovative curriculum here scares the snot out of me. I'm also not completely dedicated to primary care and I'm not sure I want to dedicate myself to it in the way they're looking for. It's also a fairly new program. However, the location is better than the Tech schools in proximity to my husband, and I know they have excellent faculty because Dr. Gest who was well loved at El Paso and Dr Bush who was very respected at A&M both came to teach there, so I'm not sure how much those things are worth. 3 hours from my husband.
7) TCU-UNT: Again with the innovative curriculum, primary care focus, and new school, except also very expensive. Looks like students are happy, at least. 4 hours from my husband.
8) UIWSOM: Again with the innovative curriculum, new school, expensive but also DO. The lowest performing DO school in terms of passing rates in the US in their first round of board scores, but also refuses to publish its board scores. The only reason I would have wanted to go here was that they are only an hour away from my husband.
9) SHSU: New school, expensive DO, and further from my husband. Not sure what would make it worth attending.

Am I on the right track here? Does anyone disagree with my rankings? I'm especially unsure about the middle of the pack, in terms of UTMB - UHCOM. Thanks for any assistance!

Kracin

2+ Year Member
May 16, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I’d rank them that exact way, though you should consider whether you want Lubbock or El Paso higher given your leanings and interest in border health. other than debating those 2 schools, I think the rest of your rankings are a lock

Reactions: 1 user
May 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I thought I’d give my opinion on this since I feel like I’ve seen you post on the forums and know some of your interests cause of that as well as what you mentioned above. If we are to purely consider your interests as opposed to perceptions of each school’s prestige, I’d say to rank both the Techs higher and UTMB. I feel that UTMB complements every area of what you’re interested in (I.e, they have a program where you can go out to a border region and practice medicine there during your breaks, they have great research (especially in infectious disease), and have great programs in global health, primary care, etc.)). If you also consider cost of living and finances, I’d say living in other places besides Houston would be cheaper (I’m leaning away from my McGovern, Baylor & UTSW cause living in a big city can be pricey). Proximity to your SO is also something for you to take into consideration too. But, at the end of the day no matter where you choose, you can be whatever doctor you want and a great one with these Texas schools. It’s just about choosing the right fit at this point. Based off everything you’ve said and mentioned, I would rank the schools like this in my opinion for you: UTMB > Tech Lubbock > Tech El Paso > Baylor > McGovern > UHCOM > UNT/TCU > UIWSOM > SHSU

obviously the above ranking doesn’t coincide with “prestige” order, but in my opinion you can still become a amazing doctor no matter where you go and each of these schools are very good. As long as you know you’re happy with the program and you feel it complements you, then that’s worth it!

this is obvi just my opinion, but thought I’d share just in case it could help! Ranking is SO hard cause it determines the next 4 years of our life. Good luck with everything future doc! :)

• Love
About the Ads
D

deleted1085718

Personally I would put El Paso over Lubbock. The match lists don't seem that different to me so I don't see how prestige is better at one over the other. Am very curious to hear what questionable things you heard about foster though!

Drsecondchance

2+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2018
Personally I would put El Paso over Lubbock. The match lists don't seem that different to me so I don't see how prestige is better at one over the other. Am very curious to hear what questionable things you heard about foster though!
That's just the thing - I've seen reference to it on here, but never any specifics. I really do think I'll be F flipping UTMB and UTH, as well as Lubbock and El Paso because the schools are better fits for me.

pleasantlyhumerus

Sh' Dynasty
2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2017
I second flipping El Paso and Lubbock mostly because of your interests in border health, but also because El Paso is near NM which is gorgeous.

• Love

Drsecondchance

2+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2018
New #1 for me! I just got an interview with UT Health San Antonio yesterday! That's one hour from my husband, has excellent border health opportunities, low cost of living, excellent research, EVERYTHING I could ask for. I would be crestfallen if I didn't get in there (even though I have some other excellent options and I acknowledge how lucky I am to get in anywhere).

Reactions: 1 users
May 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
New #1 for me! I just got an interview with UT Health San Antonio yesterday! That's one hour from my husband, has excellent border health opportunities, low cost of living, excellent research, EVERYTHING I could ask for. I would be crestfallen if I didn't get in there (even though I have some other excellent options and I acknowledge how lucky I am to get in anywhere).
Can you pm me real quick! I have a question and I can’t seem to pm you lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads