Help me rank! UAMS Pine Bluff vs SLU Belleville?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SXMMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rank Lists are due soon! Anybody with experience with either (or both) of these programs? I could use some outside perspective. Please and thank you!

Both are unopposed programs that are inpatient heavy. UAMS Pine Bluff is in rural arkansas in a super depressed area, SLU Belleville is closer to downtown STL but also serves an under served community. Both have good EM exposure, though UAMS has all ER rotations during pgy 1 including 2 blocks ER night float as PGY1. UAMS can start moonlighting in PGY2 whereas Belleville limits that to pgy 3 (heard it is dislike by program in general, and Il as a state only allows moonlighting in PGY3 if I understood the State Board policy correctly). UAMS also has rotations through cardio, nephro and pulm as part of regular curriculum on top of 6 electives. Belleville has 2 ICU rotations in PGY2 and 3 electives and 2 "medicine and surgical electives" (whatever the heck that means).

Looking for strong inpatient/EM experiences on top of decent ambulatory training. Neither here or there about OB and peds. Not likely to be doing OB, and would enjoy doing some peds but taking care of kiddos neither makes or breaks my long term outlook.

http://arkansasahecresidencies.com/residencies/south-central/curriculum/

https://sites.google.com/a/slu.edu/...m---belleville-illinois/rotational-curriculum

Members don't see this ad.

Rank Lists are due soon! Anybody with experience with either (or both) of these programs? I could use some outside perspective. Please and thank you!

Both are unopposed programs that are inpatient heavy. UAMS Pine Bluff is in rural arkansas in a super depressed area, SLU Belleville is closer to downtown STL but also serves an under served community. Both have good EM exposure, though UAMS has all ER rotations during pgy 1 including 2 blocks ER night float as PGY1. UAMS can start moonlighting in PGY2 whereas Belleville limits that to pgy 3 (heard it is dislike by program in general, and Il as a state only allows moonlighting in PGY3 if I understood the State Board policy correctly). UAMS also has rotations through cardio, nephro and pulm as part of regular curriculum on top of 6 electives. Belleville has 2 ICU rotations in PGY2 and 3 electives and 2 "medicine and surgical electives" (whatever the heck that means).

Looking for strong inpatient/EM experiences on top of decent ambulatory training. Neither here or there about OB and peds. Not likely to be doing OB, and would enjoy doing some peds but taking care of kiddos neither makes or breaks my long term outlook.

http://arkansasahecresidencies.com/residencies/south-central/curriculum/

https://sites.google.com/a/slu.edu/...m---belleville-illinois/rotational-curriculum

No clue about Arkansas, but i know a lot of folks who trained at SLU on the Air Force side and they produce great docs. Im biased as im friends with a lot of faculty there and might end up teaching there myself after fellowship

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome, thanks for the response. Would you have any idea about what to expect with the new hospital they're shifting to sometime this year? Would it impact the range of pathology and types of patients residents would get to see? Heard city of Belleville wasn't too pleased about it.

Also, the folks you know coming out of the program, are they confident enough in their training to pursue hospitalist positions out of residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
They are all AF so no strictly hospitality positions. but the ones I know had no issue transitionine into FM faculty at other residencies and practicing/teaching hospital medicine. not sure how the move affects it...everyone (faculty) I spoke with seemed excited about the move.

One of my buddies from medical school is a third year at Pine Bluff and two other guys that were two years ahead of me also went there. Very ER heavy I believe. Lots of procedural training. They all seemed happy with their time there.

Thanks for the responses, you all eased my ranking anxiety a lot. Looks like I'll be ok at either place if I'm lucky enough to match, just time to wait it out!

That being said, it is a decent program otherwise.

Last edited: