Help me start planning which courses to take please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j814wong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Biology Bachelor of Arts or Biology Bachelor of Sciences?
Which should I choose? Does it matter more what courses I take rather then the specific major?

At my future college, SUNY-Binghamton Univ., the B.A. is almost like a watered down version of the B.S. one as it requires less credit hours for the degree. If I were to go with a B.A., I'd have much more free time to devote to either research or volunteering but I lean towards devoting more efforts to the latter as I intend to join the student volunteer EMT services. But of course, I also want to do research and maybe even some original research if time allows.

The Specific Courses
Electives
Cell Biology or Molecular Genetics? I find Cell Biology to be a bit more interesting but which is more helpful for the MCAT?

I'll also need 16 more Credit Hours in upper level electives. My options are as follows.
-Biochemistry (Will definite take)
-General Microbiology
-Development Biology
-Animal Histology
-Genes and Heredity
-Animal Physiology I(If not this, I would take Human Anatomy and Physiology I which does not count toward teh major).
-Human Anatomy and Physiology II which can count
-Genetics Laboratory
-Immunology (Seems quite interesting but even so, is it any help on the MCAT? I might still take it though, even if it's not relevant to the MCAT)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would locate the premedical advisor on your campus and go from there.

Consult your pre-med adviser on campus and they will help choose what classes to take and which ones will benefit the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Asides from specific course choices then, what about my questions about B.A. vs. B.S.?

Asides from specific course choices then, what about my questions about B.A. vs. B.S.?

If I was an interviewer, I would rank people with a BS above people with a BA, all other things similar.

Of course I'm not an interviewer.... and I think it won't matter since apparently majoring in basketweaving is just as impressive as majoring in chemical engineering to adcoms.

BS vs BA is not going to mean anything to an adcom because they know that it really doesn't amount to much of a difference in coursework.

I'll add to the above post by recommending that you do a major that you feel you'd enjoy, not because it looks impressive. In the end, it wont matter.

I would locate the premedical advisor on your campus and go from there.
Into a dark pit of despair?
If I was an interviewer, I would rank people with a BS above people with a BA, all other things similar.
Why?
Of course I'm not an interviewer.... and I think it won't matter since apparently majoring in basketweaving is just as impressive as majoring in chemical engineering to adcoms.

Oh come on, you know when they say major doesn't matter what they mean is they don't care what your degree is in. They still want to see what appears to be a rigorous, broad but deep curriculum of courses.

does it really matter whether you get a b.s. or b.a.? i don't think my school even offers a b.s. in biology--only a b.a.

A BS would be more useful for a back-up plan than a BA. Also, the extra science can only help you in medical school and maybe even the MCAT.

To me, ALL your elective options look fun, but microbiology and physiology would be useful for the MCAT. Immunology looks expecially fun (I hope to take it next year at my school). :)

A BS would be more useful for a back-up plan than a BA. Also, the extra science can only help you in medical school and maybe even the MCAT.

To me, ALL your elective options look fun, but microbiology and physiology would be useful for the MCAT. Immunology looks expecially fun (I hope to take it next year at my school). :)

My backup would be to get a masters in Biology or similar field anyways. In don't plan to get a job using just the B.A.

Sent from my Xoom using SDN Mobile

So about my other question. What is more important? My major or the specific courses I take?

So about my other question. What is more important? My major or the specific courses I take?

Making it a binary choice is the Wong way to think about it. Neither are important for admissions. It's important you do well and enjoy what you are learning.

From AAMC:

"The scientific competencies you will be expected to demonstrate involve fundamental principles and concepts in biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics ― all of which are presented in basic science courses offered at most undergraduate institutions. Typically, no advanced cours
ework is needed to do well on the MCAT exam.
"

Making it a binary choice is the Wong way to think about it. Neither are important for admissions. It's important you do well and enjoy what you are learning.

From AAMC:

"The scientific competencies you will be expected to demonstrate involve fundamental principles and concepts in biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics ― all of which are presented in basic science courses offered at most undergraduate institutions. Typically, no advanced cours
ework is needed to do well on the MCAT exam.
"

I understand that only those pre-reqs are really necessary but it's fairly common knowledge that certain extra classes can help quite a bit and that's what I was interested in. Biochem is one of those courses that I read can be very helpful.

Immunology is probably not going to be on the MCAT at any level higher then the basic level but I still plan to take it only because it seems really interesting.

:thumbdown:

Some schools only offer a BA in biology, like Princeton...

I've talked to many advisers and they've said there are no differences between a BA or BS when it comes to graduate schools or even getting hired as a lab tech.

My school used to only offer a BA in physics, but had many more requirements/was harder than most schools that gave out BS degrees.

Good thing you aren't an interviewer.

:thumbdown:

Some schools only offer a BA in biology, like Princeton...

I've talked to many advisers and they've said there are no differences between a BA or BS when it comes to graduate schools or even getting hired as a lab tech.

My school used to only offer a BA in physics, but had many more requirements/was harder than most schools that gave out BS degrees.

Good thing you aren't an interviewer.

That's good to know. Guess I'll go with a B.A. then.