1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

help me w/ strategy: 2 choices left

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by apricotattack, Mar 14, 2007.

1. apricotattack

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just wondering if anyone has any ideas:

I've noticed that almost every question I get wrong, I've eliminated both wrong choices except my answer and the right one. So, it appears that I can get down to those 2, but then I always seem to choose the wrong one. Is there a good strategy on how to STOP picking the one I am, and start finding the right one??

2. killinsound

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What subject are you talking about

3. OP
    OP
    apricotattack

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Usually BS, often PS too

4. MeCord3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You should try making a prediction of what the right answer is before going into the choices. Before trying to eliminate wrong answers, characterize what the right answer has to look like/include.

5. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't think there's any strategies that could work for your situation. Ideally, you read a question, answer it, then scan the choices to find your answer. If you're approaching it from the perspective of eliminating choices, it means you don't know the answer and your trying to improve your chances when you guess. It's generally pretty easy to eliminate one or two options, beyond that, you just have to make an educated guess.

6. OP
    OP
    apricotattack

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Am I the only one coming in with an idea for the answer, only to find it's not even a choice...?

7. MeCord3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If thats the case then you need to reconsider your prediction. Retrace your steps and see where you went off track.

8. HippocratesX

HippocratesX Member
    7+ Year Member

If you narrow it down to 2 answer choices and keep selecting the wrong one, then just pick the one that seems less likely the "answer" . That was happening to me too and when I chose the one that I reasoned to be correct (usually too easy/too good to be true answer), that one was not the correct answer. So look for the trick or reason out that the more subtle, less clear, yet still plausible answer is correct.

Either that or..... Innie Minni Mynee Moe.:D

9. CATallergy

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    are you sure that you're usually picking the wrong answer, or might you not be noticing when you guess correctly? ultimately, there must be some reason that you guess one answer is more likely than the other. try to bring this subconscious process to the surface so you can analyze where it goes wrong.

10. OP
    OP
    apricotattack

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Good point... thanks for all the tips, everyone! I've got time to try lots of things out, so let's hope something works for me.

11. Nowaythisnameis

2+ Year Member

maybe this is because there are usually always 2 obviously wrong answers...:rolleyes: