This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axe-e-dental

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people, hoping some of you could help me out as you guys probably have more experience than me regarding this stuff. I have a list of 23 schools here and I want to shorten it down to around 15 schools as that is the normal. I mainly want to be within or around PA, but also open to OOS schools obviously. I have done a bit of research and came up with this list of OOS friendly schools that fit my situation and would like to fine-tune it a bit. So any suggestions at all would be appreciated!

My stats: 3.51 cGPA
3.42 sGPA
23AA/21TS/23PAT
PA Resident
No anatomy or microbiology courses taken yet
Okay extracurricular, nothing special: ( -110 hrs shadowing, 100 hrs volunteer, research)
So-so letter of recommendations

School Choices in Order of Choice:
1) The Maurice H. Kornberg
2) University of Pennsylvania
3) University of Pittsburgh
4) Louisiana State University
5) University of Texas (San Antonio)
6) University of the Pacific
7) Rutgers
8) Case Western Reserve University
9) University of Maryland
10) Marquette University
11) Tufts University
12) Touro - New York Medical College
13) Creighton University
14) Midwestern University (AZ)
15) A.T. Still University of Arizona
16) Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
17) Nova Southeastern University
18) University of Louisville
19) Boston University
20) University of Minnesota
21) Columbia University
22) New York University
23) The Ohio State University

Members don't see this ad.

It seems you have really good stats so why apply to so many schools?
I think you could narrow down your list to about 10-12 schools and you would still get interviews/acceptances, so I am not sure if it is worth dropping 4,000 on applications.
It is your decision, but if I were you I would limit my list to just the east coast schools (unless you have family out west that you could stay with), but those schools just make the most logical sense in saving you money and time.
You should also check to see if any of the schools require anatomy or microbio as a prereq and get rid of those, if you haven't already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Drop LSU, UT, OSU and then after that anything over 400k like eldmd_32 said. That should get you to 10-15. Also if you don't have 100s-1000s of community service/volunteer hours throw out ASDOH. You could keep UPenn but it'd be a reach cause of your gpa.

I agree with the above posts about number of schools. For your stats around 10-12 should be more than enough

Last edited: