HELP ME WITH MY SCHOOL LIST TX/3.68/521 (:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acer370915

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a TX resident who has already applied via TMDSAS to in-state schools. However, I want to apply OOS as well. Anyone who is more familiar w/ schools (MD or DO) outside of TX, please help! My stats are:

GPA: 3.68 cGPA and 3.54 sGPA (B.S. Biochemical and Biophysical Sciences, minor in Chemistry)
MCAT: 510 --> 521 (130/130/129/132)
Clinical exp: Medical Scribe (~1000 hrs), surgery waiting room and ER volunteer (155 hrs), hospice volunteer (30 hrs)
Non-medical volunteering: 84 hrs memory care volunteer, 30 hrs misc. education events
Research: 1200 hrs undergraduate NASA project, 1000 hrs at the NASA Jet Propulsion Lab, 360 hrs at the Stanford Synchrotron, 150 hrs undergrad microbiology research, 600 hrs as a botany/herbarium intern
Shadowing: 50 hrs (between neurology, wound care, cardiothoracic vascular surgery, trauma surgery, oncology, ER, labor and delivery, plastic surgery)
Additional: physics teacher (student teaching semester completed), part of rocket team on campus, worked plenty of jobs throughout college including work as a waitress and bartender, currently work at dementia facility, white female from middle class family w/ dad who shot himself at beginning of junior year in college
Cons about me :) One D (last semester, orgo II) and one C on my transcript. My personal statement might also be hot garbage. Completed most of my shadowing and clinical volunteering in my last year of school.

So far I have Loyola, Tulane, Medical College of Wisconsin, LSU New Orleans, and Wake Forest North Carolina. Any other name drops would be nice.

Members don't see this ad.

You could pull a Hail Mary and apply to any top 20s that interest you; wisdom here is that one needs to be a rockstar to get interest from schools outside of Texas. Are you a rockstar? I don't know if you are golden, but you are definitely silver. @Goro might have some advice here.

You could pull a Hail Mary and apply to any top 20s that interest you; wisdom here is that one needs to be a rockstar to get interest from schools outside of Texas. Are you a rockstar? I don't know if you are golden, but you are definitely silver. @Goro might have some advice here.
Hail Marys are for football.

The sGPAs will keep the OP in TX.

SDNers are advised not to swoon over 95th %ile MCAT scores when there is discordance between the score and GPAs (unless one has a steep rising GPA trend.) AMCAS data shows that the wider the gap between a high MCAT and GPAs, the less successful candidates are for getting into any medical school.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user