Help me. Worried about CBSE exam July 29th

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanfransunshine91

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attend a school that is more clinically based and does not have as strong of a foundation in basic sciences like a few other P/F schools (I am a 3rd year at UCSF and our curriculum is not as basic sciences heavy as Harvard or Columbia). I recently started UWorld and was surprised as I am only getting 25% of the questions right on there (including some freebie behavioral sciences questions). I'm starting to think that a 65+ is not doable in such a short time. What should be my strategy in tackling this exam? Should I just do Uworld as many times over and over till my score improves? First Aid seems like a foreign language to me so I haven't been able to start there. Help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought most UCSF students studied for the CBSE during the 10 weeks that you guys have between 1st and 2nd year. if only I had 10 entire weeks as dedicated study time :/

Yes, I decided on oral surgery this semester so I am behind the game

Regardless of what dental school you attend, the CBSE is a difficult test. If you're taking it for the first time and just started UWorld, don't focus so much on your percent correct, but rather what tripped you up in the first place (UWorld has great explanations). Try tutor mode to start.

Since you have quite a long time until the July exam, I would thoroughly annotate FA at least once before getting worried about UWorld scores. FA is basically as skeleton of what you need to know. Fill in the blanks by reading up on Wikipedia etc. Don't just memorize things. Try to first understand the normal physiology, then the pathology of the abnormal, and finally the pharmacology of treating the pathology. I know it sounds a lot simpler than it actually is, but just focus on learning and you'll do well.

A few weeks before your exam, I would try to read FA less and keep practicing with UWorld and the online practice NBME's. I by no means crushed this exam, but I felt that this worked for me. If you happen not to do as well as you had hoped, don't get discouraged. There are plenty of candidates who match with scores that are less than "ideal." Best of luck!

Behavioral science, statistics, and genetics will be "freebie" questions AFTER you have studied that material in FA. Trust me I had the same problem and same frustrations. Just took the test on March 18th and got a 78 (coming from a school with weak basic sciences). My score on practice exams/self assessments were pretty crappy until just a couple weeks out from my test. It all seemed to come together at the very end. But I put in the work.

Do FA questions by subject in tutor mode. When you miss a question (and you will miss most at first) search that topic in FA and on Medbullets website. Decide what info is most important on that topic, and memorize it. You can't learn it all, but try to identify what info is "most high yield". I used flashcards for this and ended up with about 700 or 800 in the end. This was my main approach and it worked well.

In the end it is all about time. The more time you put in the better the result you will get. You can do this!

Behavioral science, statistics, and genetics will be "freebie" questions AFTER you have studied that material in FA. Trust me I had the same problem and same frustrations. Just took the test on March 18th and got a 78 (coming from a school with weak basic sciences). My score on practice exams/self assessments were pretty crappy until just a couple weeks out from my test. It all seemed to come together at the very end. But I put in the work.

Do FA questions by subject in tutor mode. When you miss a question (and you will miss most at first) search that topic in FA and on Medbullets website. Decide what info is most important on that topic, and memorize it. You can't learn it all, but try to identify what info is "most high yield". I used flashcards for this and ended up with about 700 or 800 in the end. This was my main approach and it worked well.

In the end it is all about time. The more time you put in the better the result you will get. You can do this!
I have similar feelings for First aid, it does seem like a foreign language. Each time I study it, I either end up cramming it line by line and its harder to retain. So, to develop concepts, what would be the best approach? From my last attempt, I figured uworld is alot more explanatory and helps me retain, however the tutor mode takes up alot of time. Is it still safe to go for uworld explanations as a primary source and first aid as a supplement? especially when the preparation duration would be as short as 2 months? Please guide me.

You just need to get it done. It's that simple.

If you already knew it you wouldn't need to study for it.

4 months is more than enough time.
honestly this is the most truthful tidbit i'm starting to realize for this exam.

honestly this is the most truthful tidbit i'm starting to realize for this exam.
Well, this comment was alot more applicable for NBDEs since dental first aid is more focused on dentistry. But, studying medical first aid is an entire new realm. I for one have to make alot of new concepts to make. Therefore, I was wondering if I can get any insight to the question I posted previously., please

Just develop a strategy for yourself and stick with it. I read FA first, noted the areas I was less familiar with, then did as much UWorld as I could, annotating my FA. The week before, I read all of my FA again, which helped me remember all the stuff from UWorld since I annotated it. I am not saying this is the only way to do it, but it worked for me. Just be consistent, put your time in, and get it done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just develop a strategy for yourself and stick with it. I read FA first, noted the areas I was less familiar with, then did as much UWorld as I could, annotating my FA. The week before, I read all of my FA again, which helped me remember all the stuff from UWorld since I annotated it. I am not saying this is the only way to do it, but it worked for me. Just be consistent, put your time in, and get it done.
Did you have a designated study period where you could focus on the CBSE? My dental school has pretty much no summer at all, so I'm wondering when I should be studying for it. I'm thinking of buying FA and reading it along with stuff I'm learning although my school isn't very med based. Also my school is not p/f so I don't know how much time I should allocate to the CBSE since I still have to maintain rank, but without a designated study period, I feel like I have no choice.

I had no designated study period. I studied all through the first part of my third year and took it in Feb. I was busy, but I stuck to my schedule to study.

I had no designated study period. I studied all through the first part of my third year and took it in Feb. I was busy, but I stuck to my schedule to study.
How much time did you put in? How many passes did you go through in Uworld/first aid? Where did you start off getting on Uworld?

I probably took 3-4 months. I just did as much as I could, not sure how much I got through UWorld. Maybe once?

I have similar feelings for First aid, it does seem like a foreign language. Each time I study it, I either end up cramming it line by line and its harder to retain. So, to develop concepts, what would be the best approach? From my last attempt, I figured uworld is alot more explanatory and helps me retain, however the tutor mode takes up alot of time. Is it still safe to go for uworld explanations as a primary source and first aid as a supplement? especially when the preparation duration would be as short as 2 months? Please guide me.
If your prep time is 2 months, and it is not full time/dedicated study time, then you will need to kick some serious ass during those 2 months. Work harder than you have ever worked before. Rest when it's over.
And yes, use UW as your primary source of information and supplement with FA. You don't have time to read through and "memorize" everything from FA. When you get something wrong in UW, study up on that topic from FA and medbullets (website, goldmine) so you won't get it wrong again. Like I said before, the one thing I would "memorize" is behavioral science, stats, and genetics. Those are small enough topics that you can cram in all in, and give you some quick points on the test.
No more studentdoctor for you! Get studying!

Now when you say you need 3-4 months of prep time, is that dedicated 8-12hrs per day or with classes and clinic?

I probably took 3-4 months. I just did as much as I could, not sure how much I got through UWorld. Maybe once?
Was this after D2 or D3? And did you have off period to study or a bunch of other obligations?

I bought the FA book and actually read through the biochem section for part 1 of boards and really liked it...I have seen that some people read through FA then do Uworld and go back and read FA where they are deficient but some others use Uworld as their primary source and then they read FA where they are deficient, you guys/gals think one technique is better or just pick one and go with it ?