HELP Medical School Essays: Where to find them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bnleong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the websites of various medical schools and wondering where are the applications? Apparently they are forwarded online to AMCAS and I'm guessing the essay information is in there as well. Well the reason I'm making this post is because I wanted to get a head start on writing some essays. I am applying for applicaition for 2011 so I'm starting very early. But i was just wondering if the essay topics change from year to year and how could I manage to get some essay topics this year for a head start.

Would it be worth it to sign up on the AMCAS website and request applications from schools or would I have to pay for this? I'm really not too familiar with the whole online process.

Also if you don't mind, please feel free to share some of your medical school essay topics and for which school it was for. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking at the websites of various medical schools and wondering where are the applications? Apparently they are forwarded online to AMCAS and I'm guessing the essay information is in there as well. Well the reason I'm making this post is because I wanted to get a head start on writing some essays. I am applying for applicaition for 2011 so I'm starting very early. But i was just wondering if the essay topics change from year to year and how could I manage to get some essay topics this year for a head start.

Would it be worth it to sign up on the AMCAS website and request applications from schools or would I have to pay for this? I'm really not too familiar with the whole online process.

Also if you don't mind, please feel free to share some of your medical school essay topics and for which school it was for. :)

I'm sure some do change, but many are common topics that span multiple essays. Check the various threads referring to specific school's secondary application. They tend to have the essays posted on the first page.

Every year here at SDN an official Secondary Essay Prompts Thread is started, the one for 2008 is here, .

It's great that you are already thinking ahead in terms of essay writing. Back when I applied, I began writing the essays months before the application season began, and it worked out great ( less stress!). Some school may change the prompts somewhat, but from my experience most ask similar standard questions. Good luck.

Apart from having friends read essays, is there a site or resource for help on med school essays?