Help?! Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patnich81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a secondary from UM twin cities as an out-of-stater, but I don't know if I can send it in. They have a two page form they require all of your recommenders to fill out--which is no small hassle for all 4 of my referees (who are probably already grumbling at having to sign-seal 14 letters).
But I think UM-twin cities screens secondaries for out of staters so would I be an idiot not to do the secondary??? Can someone with an MSAR please tell me what the number of Out of state applicants are versus the number of OOS secondaries they offer? I would really appreciate it. or just tell me what you think...

Members don't see this ad.

patnich81 said:
I just got a secondary from UM twin cities as an out-of-stater, but I don't know if I can send it in. They have a two page form they require all of your recommenders to fill out--which is no small hassle for all 4 of my referees (who are probably already grumbling at having to sign-seal 14 letters).
But I think UM-twin cities screens secondaries for out of staters so would I be an idiot not to do the secondary??? Can someone with an MSAR please tell me what the number of Out of state applicants are versus the number of OOS secondaries they offer? I would really appreciate it. or just tell me what you think...

I'm an international applicant to UMN - I also just got the secondary. I would say the rec. form is really not that big a deal for your recs if they have already written up a letter. They just need to check a few boxes.

I don't think the MSAR tells you the ratio of applicants to secondaries.

If I remember right, I believe if you give U of Minn the emails of the people writing your references, the email the form to them. Then that person can just complete it online and send it back. It'll take them five minutes and I don't think they'll mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reference forms can be a pain...I don't know if you have a committee letter (it doesn't sound like it) but they let me only do 2 of my letter writers since I had that (and I got an interview and got in, and am out-of-state). So you can call them to double check, especially if one of your letter writers is out of the country, extremely busy, etc. But yes, they can either mail it in or do it online.

As far as whether or not you should do it...yes they definitely screen out of state applicants. what you have to ask yourself is would you go there if you did get in? (I don't know what state you're from...) If you would, then make the effort to complete their requirements for LOR. If you wouldn't, then don't.

I just got the UMN secondary as well, and my advisor said she actually preferred it to mailing in the letters since she could do it over email. It only took a couple minutes to fill in the form and then they can copy and paste their letter in a text box. If you think there's a chance you'd like to go there, go ahead and send it in... Your recc writers are going to want you to have the best chance of getting in, even if it takes a little bit more of their time.

In a warm and fuzzy world where advisors are super helpful, yeah, maybe they'll be happy to do stuff for you, and maybe teachers will actually worry about you doing well, but I've found that most of them don't and its harder to get them to fill stuff out then you'd think. Two of my prof's actually kept putting off and putting off the 2 seconds to fill out secondary sheets i had to get two new letters (and found 2 very helpful teachers of mine), however, my advisor would then not send in one of the letters because i hand delivered it and my teacher forgot to sign on the back. So then i had to get a new letter because even though i went back for them to sign, they said no, i could have seen the letter and re-sealed it (gee, because i'd ask a teacher to write me a letter that worreid me so much i'd even care to look?) so even after that i had to find ANOTHER teacher who i drove across town in order to get him to write a letter for me that day and he mailed it himself in addition to the letter packet that came from my school. It was CRAZY!!!!!!!! But i got it in! U Minn better be feeling all the love for them that's coming from me.... they better :) hehe :love: :love:

oooh sorry, that was a rant and rave *grin* good luck with the U Minn secondaries, let us know if you choose to get those extra sheets in :)

Masche, did you hear back from Mayo yet?

For those interviewed and accepted, how long did it take to hear back post interview. They told us 4 to 8 weeks during the interview, but that seems like a long time.....

sb1shan said:
For those interviewed and accepted, how long did it take to hear back post interview. They told us 4 to 8 weeks during the interview, but that seems like a long time.....

Well it will probably depend on the time you interviewed...the dean called me probably 4-5 weeks after I interviewed, and I didn't get the packet until at least a week later.

I think it took about 2 and a half weeks after the interview before they gave me a call.