This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

auror38

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Agree about keeping hiking/climbing, it's a natural conversation starter and makes you look well-rounded.

I think #13 can go pretty unequivocally. I would pick one of #4/5, they are so similar, probably #5 because you actually travelled. I would pick one of #8/9, you fulfill leadership well with the VP slot.

But those are just the thoughts of one man, I hope you get a varied collection of opinions to help you make your choice!

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
In a particular order by grouping like things together:

Research
1. Research (MME) (400 hrs)
2. My poster presentations (4 that I did myself, one that I'm first author but my mentor presented)

clinical activities and shadowing
3. Nursing aide (MME) (720 hrs) --(watch for misspelling)
4. Physician shadowing (15 hours/2 docs)
5. Med volunteering as an EMT (75 hrs)
6. Med volunteering at cancer center (80 hrs)

Hobbies combine these two hobbies into one
7. Hiking (hobby) in particular talking about climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro (MME) (see item 9 for comment on this)
and Rock climbing (hobby)

Volunteer, non-clinical
8. Non-med volunteering with international students (120 hrs)
9. Non-med volunteering in Tanzania (100 hrs) this will sound controversial but I would omit this if including climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro as a MME. The volunteering comes off as volun-tourism. Or leave the Mt. Kilimanjaro item off of the description of your hobbies
10. Non-med volunteer for food pantry during covid quarantine (24 hrs)

Teaching
11. Teaching assistant (400 hrs)

Clubs (collapse the 3 into 1)
12. Events committee member of an Asian student group (50 hrs), Philanthropy chair of a pre-med org (50 hrs), VP of a sophomore honor society (50 hrs)

Post-college employment
13. Clinical research coordinator (current job) (3000 hrs - projected) (non-negotiable, this MUST be included)

Non-clinical employment
14. Server at local restaurant as a summer job (200 hrs) (customer service jobs are valuable experience and if it was your primary activity during a particular summer it shows that you were industrious and not just having fun)
15. Paid position as undergrad mentor at 2 stem summer camps (150 hrs)

Reactions: 1 users