Help! Need advice on Western, Univ. of Pacific and Lloma Linda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkuru

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone help with choosing between these schools when applying? How are the faculty, environment, reputation, and special areas of these schools?

sorry, I meant I haven't been accepted; I need to decide which school to apply to=)

Members don't see this ad.

Have you already been accepted?

I'd probably go to either Western or UOP

pinkuru said:
Can someone help with choosing between these schools when applying? How are the faculty, environment, reputation, and special areas of these schools?

i like western because it has a unique block program curriculum for pharmacy, plus that's the only school i went to orientation for, dont know about the other two...........

Members don't see this ad :)
tdkneo said:
i like western because it has a unique block program curriculum for pharmacy, plus that's the only school i went to orientation for, dont know about the other two...........

Thx for the advice=), what is the block program curriculum about?

pinkuru said:
Thx for the advice=), what is the block program curriculum about?

With the block program, academic course work is delivered is in individual blocks of instructional time, wherein each block builds upon the learning that has occurred in preceding blocks. This method of delivery occurs in the second year and the first half of the third year. This 1½ year period is composed of fifteen blocks, each of which is 15 or 18 working days (3 - 3½ weeks) in duration, with a 3- to 4- day break between blocks.

You will be in class for six hours a day. This total immersion in a subject allows you to achieve mastery in one subject before moving on to the next. Additionally, ample class time is devoted to discussion, student presentations, and peer learning and teaching activities with emphasis placed on both verbal and written communication skills.

The second half of the third year and the entire fourth year is devoted to student rotations in the Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE). Students will complete seven six-week rotations and one twelve-week advanced elective.

Hopes that clears up everything :)

western requires a full year of biochem, unlike other california schools. one of the main pros of western is the block system, as mentioned.

uop specifically requires a letter of rec from a pharmacist. it is also a three-year program, which can be a pro or a con for different people.

llu is a seventh-day adventist school and has a unique environment compared to other schools: they don't sell caffeine on campus, weekly church meetings, classes end early on fridays, etc. they also do not participate in pharmcas, so their application process is completely separate from the other schools. this school is probably one that you want to definitely take an in-depth look at since their environment is a bit different than other schools.