Help - need to write my own LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a LOR from somebody who supervises me in a volunteer organization. This person knows me very well, and I consider him a good friend and mentor - this person seems to be a great choice of someone to write a LOR for me. The only problem is that this person isn't very good writing LORs...in fact, this person has never done a LOR before. So, he asked for me help and I gladly volunteered. This person wrote a basic outline, and is giving me the liberty to make it "flow" better and to make minor changes. I thought it would be a great idea to make mention at the end something about how I'm particularly interested in School X because of Y. Does this sound like a good idea?

Furthermore, since I know it's a good letter, should I send it off to every medical school to whcih I'm applying? Should I not send it to schools which only specifically ask for faculty letters (i.e.-U Chicago Pritzker)? Or should I only send it to schools that specifically ask for a letter from someone who knows me personally or form a volunteer person? I don't want to piss off any adcom, but the letter is a good one.... Any help and comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Adcadet

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know that much, but usually schools like to accept up to ~5 lor's, it's perfectly ok to send it more than the *mininium*.

To quote an all-time great (Office space) :

Stan: What do you think of a person who only does the bare *minimum*?

Joanna: Huh. What do I think? Let me tell you what I think, Stan. If you want me to wear thirty-seven pieces of flair like your pretty boy Brian over there, then why don?t you just make the minimum thirty-seven pieces of flair?

Stan: Well, I thought I remember you saying you wanted to express yourself.

Joanna: Yeah. Yeah. Y?know what? I do. I do want to express myself. And I don?t need thirty-seven pieces of flair to do it...

Thanks Bikini Princess....I'm write my own LOR, and 36 others while I'm at it. That will get me in for sure!
;)

P.S. I LOVE Office Space!

Members don't see this ad :)
You may want to sign the letter also if you are writing it. I think that would be quite pathetic to write your own LOR with someone else's signature. If you do this, I seriously question your integrity. Moreover, a letter recommending yourself from yourself is the equivalent of catching your own S**t as it comes out... if you like the feel and content, then sure, send it to all of your damn schools! I don't think there is a more pathetic way to apply to a graduate program, moreover a medical program, by writing your own LOR. This basically negates the purpose. Think about! Your either desparate, or like catching your shi$!!!!

Originally posted by ancientmd
You may want to sign the letter also if you are writing it. I think that would be quite pathetic to write your own LOR with someone else's signature. If you do this, I seriously question your integrity. Moreover, a letter recommending yourself from yourself is the equivalent of catching your own S**t as it comes out... if you like the feel and content, then sure, send it to all of your damn schools! I don't think there is a more pathetic way to apply to a graduate program, moreover a medical program, by writing your own LOR. This basically negates the purpose. Think about! Your either desparate, or like catching your shi$!!!!

Good point. I agree that what you describe is a pathetic way to get into a graduate program, but I'm not exactly writing it myself - I was given a rough draft and asked to make it sound a bit more professional. If anything I'm toning the letter down a notch. The person is being given every opportunity to make it how he/she wants, and still has to sign his/her name to it. The person volunteered to tailor each letter to each school that it's being sent to, but I'm afraid this will look a bit fake. I guess I'm specifically wondering if anybody knows of letter writters who include specific detials such as "Applicant X really wants to go to your school because of Y".

What would you do if you asked somebody for a LOR, and they asked you for help - which includes things like checking the grammar and making sure that the format is correct?

that kind of stuff is common. no need for the guilt trip dude.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
that kind of stuff is common. no need for the guilt trip dude.

So what do people do? And would you recommend tailoring each letter for the specific med school to which I'm applying? I told my other LOR writers that a single, common letter was OK (since I didin't think they had the time to tailor each one to each school).

Originally posted by ancientmd

whoa now, you don't have to get all upset about it.

Originally posted by Adcadet

So what do people do? And would you recommend tailoring each letter for the specific med school to which I'm applying? I told my other LOR writers that a single, common letter was OK (since I didin't think they had the time to tailor each one to each school).

it is best to have something tailored to each school. the more specific the better in my mind because most letters tend to be non-specific. at the same time specifying the school should include a reason. you should just say, "i think adcadet is a perfect candiate for x school." you'll have to include why adcadet would be great for x school.

adcadet would be great cause of your blah blah program that he has always shown interest in.

Originally posted by Bikini Princess
i don't know that much, but usually schools like to accept up to ~5 lor's, it's perfectly ok to send it more than the *mininium*.

To quote an all-time great (Office space) :

Stan: What do you think of a person who only does the bare *minimum*?

Joanna: Huh. What do I think? Let me tell you what I think, Stan. If you want me to wear thirty-seven pieces of flair like your pretty boy Brian over there, then why don?t you just make the minimum thirty-seven pieces of flair?

Stan: Well, I thought I remember you saying you wanted to express yourself.

Joanna: Yeah. Yeah. Y?know what? I do. I do want to express myself. And I don?t need thirty-seven pieces of flair to do it...

You know, the Nazis had pieces of flair, that they made the Jews wear.

greatest movie ever:laugh:

Originally posted by DW

You know, the Nazis had pieces of flair, that they made the Jews wear.

uhhh.....I think that's different.

Anybody have an idea of whether I should send this LOR to each med school in addition to my other 2-3 from faculty members?

ofcourse you should!!! Every bit helps.

I am sending in 5 letters myself. I know somebody that did 6. Make sure all the letters don't sound the same. Make sure they explore a different side/facet to ADCADET than the others. With higher numbers of LORs, it's probable that a lot of stuff can get repeated unintentionally. eg; ofcourse all your LOR writers will say that you are compassionate! So make sure you are writing something quite differnt from what you'd expect your other LOR writers to write.
Hope it helps
Tweetie

Writing your own LOR is very common in the academic and professional world. I personally see no problem with it as long as it contains only truthful statements and the recommendor is willing to sign it. The President of the US and well as executives all over the world sign their name to documents they didn't actually write all of the time. No matter who wrote it, they are responsible for its contents.

AHHH!
Question #2:
my letter writer forgot to pick up the appropriate letterhead and envelopes (for our activities we don't have our own special letterhead and envelopes but we can get them if we need it). And the letter writer is going out of town for 6 days! I figured the appropriate letterhead and stationary would help convince the adcoms that it's a well-written, professional letter, and something to be taken seriously.... so I've decided to wait until my letter writer is back in town. Does anybody know if this 6-day delay will hurt me, considering that it's still early in the game? Does anybody have a feel for how quickly LORs are processed, and if they factor into the interview decision?
I never thought writing my own LOR would be so stressful!

Thanks all.