Help needed on research project

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siearo

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am doing a research project on "Accidents in childhood" and the sample group comprises all the admissions following accidents (<15 years of age) to our teaching hospital within a specified period of time.
The problem I am faced with is how to assess the severity of injury in the victims. I have not been able to find a satisfactory catigorization so far as they present with diverse injuries.
I very much appreciate it if any one can give me some advice or directions on references regarding this.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it depends on what types of accidents you're talking about. If you're talking about traumatic brain-injured children, there are several neuropsychological tests that have been used to assess and quantify the type and severity of cognitive deficits. Many of these are validated and have been standardized for use in specific age groups.

"Accidents in childhood" is WAY too broad a topic. You need to specify the types of accidents and/or associated consequences that you're examining.

Hope this helps.

PH

yeah, if you can limit it down to something more manageable, you can then start to think about severity. What you need is some concrete, valid, reliable marker of severity. For example, if you look at fractures, you could possible look at fractures of very difficult to break bones or fractures that require hospitalization. Maybe look at fractures of the axial skeleton vs. fractures of the appendicular skeleton? Or what about lacerations that require <5 sutures vs. >5 sutures? Or penetrating wounds that were deamed to justify a tetanus booster even though the patient was current? Falls with loss of consciousness vs. falls without LOC?