briansle

Cell A
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
Status
WOw, if only your Gpa was .05 higher. Don't give up, try to get into a Post bac.

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
bluekty said:
i haven't got accepted to any where and also didn't get even an interview yet...
it is really depressing.. but i need to think about what to do now.
i need opinions on how to increase my chance on getting in next year.
which is better? post bac or dental hygiene?
i really don't know which will be better.
guys help...

oh... to help your understanding on my situation...
i have 2.95, 2.95 GPAs and 19/20/21 (ST,AA,PAT). I applied NYU, BU, UDM, Creighton, VCU, Tuft, Columbia, Temple and several others. And I haven't heard from those schools i listed yet. I applied in Aug.

Thanks guys
If I were you I wouldn't do a post-bac. Who's to say you'll do any better there?

No, I would re-take the dat and try and score a little higher. You already did very well on the DAT, so you probably have the capacity to increase it. Also, I would try and make some connections with staff at schools like NYU and BU.

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
Also, is there something missing from your application? I'm really surprised you didn't even get one interview. For example, have you done some shadowing, volunteer work, extracurriculars, etc. These things are very important. If you're missing them, then try to get involved with them.

rainy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
Status
get some classes and raise your gpa

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
bluekty said:
i do have shodowing over 300 hours. volunteer work? i was working at a cardiovascular lab and childrens' hospital.
and i have a question for ya. how do i get connections to BU and NYU? how do i get to know them?
Send some nice letters to the admissions people telling them how much you love their school and all that. Also, maybe try and schedule a meeting with the deans of admissions.

Jesh, I'm really surprised you didn't get an interview with all that stuff. Why do you think you didn't get an interview? Is it really just grades? Don't be shy, most people on SDN really want to help.

Maybe you didn't have the pre-reqs and schools didn't bother telling you. Or maybe there was a problem with your letters of recommendation. Do you know if your file is complete at these schools? Especially at bu and nyu.

defender90

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2004
Dallas, TX
Status
delicious said:
Send some nice letters to the admissions people telling them how much you love their school and all that. Also, maybe try and schedule a meeting with the deans of admissions.

Jesh, I'm really surprised you didn't get an interview with all that stuff. Why do you think you didn't get an interview? Is it really just grades? Don't be shy, most people on SDN really want to help.

Maybe you didn't have the pre-reqs and schools didn't bother telling you. Or maybe there was a problem with your letters of recommendation. Do you know if your file is complete at these schools? Especially at bu and nyu.
Like delicious said, try to find out if your application was complete.

Also, if you do get rejected, call the admissions office and try to find out what was weak about your application. Ask them what you need to improve on to be a better candidate.

delicious

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2004
Status
Oh, maybe you do need to do a master's then. But even they are competetive to get into aren't they? Maybe you should take another year of undergrad if you can. I completely forget now, what does BCP stand for?

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
Peering around the corner...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
delicious said:
Oh, maybe you do need to do a master's then. But even they are competetive to get into aren't they? Maybe you should take another year of undergrad if you can. I completely forget now, what does BCP stand for?
Bio chem physics. And 2.5 really is kinda low for those, especially as those are the type of the classes we'll have in d-school - I think the schools really want to see if you can handle it. I'd suggest taking more science classes and really pulling up your BCP.

lnn2

Oral Fixation
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2002
TX
Visit site
Status
bluekty said:
i haven't got accepted to any where and also didn't get even an interview yet...
it is really depressing.. but i need to think about what to do now.
i need opinions on how to increase my chance on getting in next year.
which is better? post bac or dental hygiene?
i really don't know which will be better.
guys help...

oh... to help your understanding on my situation...
i have 2.95, 2.95 GPAs and 19/20/21 (ST,AA,PAT). I applied NYU, BU, UDM, Creighton, VCU, Tuft, Columbia, Temple and several others. And I haven't heard from those schools i listed yet. I applied in Aug.

Thanks guys
1. Your DAT is good. I would not retake it. Your main concern now is GPA
2. Take easy A classes to improve your overall and science GPAs to at least 3.0 Do a number crunching to see how many hrs that you have to take and how long it will take to bring up the GPA to 3.0
3. Don't re-apply unless you've improved your GPA. Apply to more selected schools with lower acceptance stats. Beggers can't be choosers! Be realistic. You seem to apply to well known schools with high acceptance stats.

You'll most likely get in with a M.S. degree but you still have to have a good grad GPA. If you want to be a dentist then don't settle for hygiene. Reeval your application. Schedule an appointment with an admission director to see what they can recommend.

Don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. You'll get in one way or another! Good luck

aceking

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
Status
Cal State's master is not a bad idea, but i will take a while for you to complete that. Who knows 2years from now D-schools may require even a higher GPA than 3.0. And Hygene Program is not all that for D-schools and it doesnt really help your low GPA
Therefore, if i were you i would just try to take as many science classes as i can and KickButt in all of them. Sounds like unrealistic? but it is definetely possible. U sound like you are from cali for sure so extension classes at UCs, Cal states, and JC sound have the necessary classes for ya
good luck