HELP - NYCOM vs. Des Moines University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Pilot

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if I could have some opinions on this. I need to make a decision ASAP. I have been accepted at both schools and they are my top choices. I am from NY/NJ and I'm very familiar with NYCOM's campus, as I went to their undergrad-affiliated school.

NYCOM:
Good - apparently, students are very satisfied with rotations, wouldn't have to move across country, wouldn't have to uproot everything I have going here (flying lessons, dance lessons, during what ounce of free time I have left, etc.), rotations will be in the location I wish to do my residency
Bad - during OMM, students are required to wear bathing suits in class and I don't feel comfortable doing so, the students are very competitive, administration is not very good, many students seem apathetic or slightly dissatisfied with the school for the first two years

Des Moines:
Good - students are amazing and cooperative, OMM department is second to none, students are very satisfied with the school, great learning aids such as Harvey and SPAL, great didactics in general
Bad - never lived so far away from home and don't want to get home sick, I want to wind up back in NY eventually, and NYCOM's rotations may be better for that

I hope I haven't insulted anyone with this list. Please don't take it personally. If anyone disagrees with me, I welcome your opinions as well. I appreciate any advice anyone can give me on this decision.

Members don't see this ad.

I, like you, don't want to piss anybody off. But, if I had the decision you have I would go NYCOM.

Again, not because DMU isn't a great school...I applied there and was offered an interview. I also didn't like the idea of leaving the East Coast and living in (shudder) Iowa.

I personally (meaning my own opinion) think that the education at NYCOM is better. Now, I may not have much to go on other than websites and heresay, but that's my $0.02. It seems being a DO can be challenging enough in some instances, so why not go to a DO school that kicks the ass of many of its competitors.

You may have more opportunities at NYCOM than you would in Iowa. Bigger and better hospitals and that great Atlantic coast weather.

Word on the street is that NYCOM grads can compete with anyone. Again, I don't know much about DMU, so maybe I'm just ignorant.

I got into NYCOM and turned them down. It wasn't an easy decision, but I got into the big dog, PCOM.

Anyway, that's my opinion and only my opinion. Again, not to piss anybody off. I look at NYCOM as one of the top osteopathic schools and DMU is probably in my "second tier", but still up there.

Make your choice soon, though. There are people on the waitlists at both schools who are eager to hear something.

I just finished my first year at DMU and I was satisfied. There were bad things and good things but that is med school. I don't know much about NYCOM but I would say go to where you will feel the most comfortable. I'm from Iowa, I liked that I didn't have to uproot myself as well as go through the hell of starting med school. As for which school is "better", I have found that once you are in, no one compares anymore except in the OMM departments. Of course, like you said, DMU puts a great deal of stress on OMM so that might be why we have students comparing. I'm not trying to sway you b/c I'm obviously biased, but I will tell you that my friends that have moved to Iowa from other states have found the transition easy. By the end of the year, they began to make a home of sorts in Des Moines. Congratulations on your acceptances. Ironically, my best advice would be not to listen to anyone but yourself, you are the one that will be doing the work. Either choice will be a good one. Enjoy your summer!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just graduated from NYCOM...heres the scoop
1. NYCOM is the best for 3rd/4th year....best hospitals.
2. NYCOM student Kicked MAJOR BOOTY in the match this year(and has since i have been there)...we match in the most competitive residencies, BOTH allopathic and osteopathic.
3. We have a NEW president of the medschool...and word on the street is that she is getting rid of the dead wood....when i was there it was miserable 1st/2nd years. Now the admin. actuallyt listens to the students and MAJOR changes have taken place and will continue to take place.

My 2 cents....accept the NYCOM offer and never look back....when you match in 4 years in the residency you want you will not regret the decision you have made.
If I can help more PM me
Congrats and Good Luck :clap:

I wanted to thank all of you (JPHazelton, Katie1822, mddo2b) for taking the time out of your schedules to respond to my message. It's wonderful to have such sound information/advice from people like yourselves. Keep it coming. :) I'll let you know what I decide. :wink:

I'm a second year at NYCOM and would like to help and address some of your "bad" concerns about NYCOM: First, I imagine you have to wear bathing suits in OMM class at any school. You need access to your patient's back and this is the easiest way to do it. When you're not the patient, you put your shirt on and you never take your pants off. We are professionals and are expected to act as such. By the third class, I guarantee you, the whole skin exposure worry is a moot point. You dont even think about it. Everyone's in the same boat and it's a non-issue. Second, how can you have an apatheic class but at the same time be very competitive? I have never run into a student that wouldnt bend over backwards to help someone else out. Again, we're all in this together. I dont feel we're apathetic either. NYCOM has won the UAAO chapter of the year award for 3 straight years. The school is stressful, but show me a med school that isnt. The above poster is right, there is a new sheriff (Dean) coming to NYCOM and she's taking care of business, the right way. Dr. Barbara Ross-Lee, sister of Diana Ross actually. Very, very accomplished woman. Facilities are also improving with a new cafeteria opeing this august.

Overall, I'm pleased with NYCOM and glad I chose it. My negatives are its price and the cost of living in the area, but IMO, the NY area will afford you a much more diverse patient population on rotations and is overall a more exciting place to become a doctor. Just my opinion though...

Good luck. Hope to see you in August.

hey doctor pilot,

i was in your exact situation in january. which to choose, dmu or nycom? i made a list such as yours and spoke to many students. although i would love to live close in new york, i just didn't feel comfortable at the school-it seemed like everyone was competing against each other. basically i decided to choose the school that i felt the best at, and that was at dmu. i'll be starting at dmu this august. sorry i couldn't offer substantial points, but it's all up to you.

kimberlee :)

I'll keep this short....

Just wanted to point out that not all schools require you to wear bathing suit and DMU is one of them. Yes, I do agree that "It's skin to win" so when possible we do skin to skin contact even in our Physical Diagnosis lab....

DMU was running first place for the UAAO Chapter award the past couple of years, but the main reason NYCOM won that past three years is that they have the most items to auction off for the silent auction during the AAO Convocation thus they get the maximum amount of points.... otherwise, I think DMU would have won the past couple of years.... Not to say NYCOM did not deserve the award. They did have the most representation of any school, etc. Just wanted to share this point because there's always two sides to the story.... and this is just one of them.

I hope that I'm not offending anyone just thought I'd put in some other factoid.

Ask yourself where you'd like to be at and go there.... DMU also has a "general" listing of residency matches and we have placed students in Harvard, John Hopkins, UCDavis, etc....

I'm sure you've heard it before but go where you feel you'll get the best education and wherever you decide to go.... as was mentioned before.... Don't look back.... Make the best of your time in medical school.

Take these advice with a grain of salt.... Good luck in your decision and hope you make the best one for yourself.

Good luck, :cool:

You have a difficult decision on your hands. You will definately get a good education at either school...like someone else said...make a decision and don't look back. You are undoubtedly going to find things to complain about at both schools, but don't waste time doubting your decision. Either will get you to your goal of being a competant physician.

I am finishing up my second year here at DMU and am completely satisfied with my decision to come here. I was particularly impressed with DMU's reputation in the OMT field. OMM was my primary reason for becoming a DO and therefore, I wanted to go to school that I considered the Best.

I can understand your desire to stay close to home. That is something you will have to decide. Although I am not planning to live in des moines after this year....I think that it was ideal for going to school....plenty of things to do without too many distractions. I am a 10 hour drive away from home...and although I sometimes get homesick and feel as if I am missing out on things going on back at home...I am also often glad because it would be too much of a temptation for me to want to do everything.

I know how you feel right now...but be careful about listening to too many opinions...because that is all these are - OPINIONS....no-one here has gone to both schools to really be able to list the pros and cons comparitively. Perhaps make a list of what it is YOU :p :p want out of a school - and see which one better fits YOUR needs.

Best of LUCK!

Doc Pilot,

Like said before, you get to wear gym shorts over your swim suit. It's just the upper half of your body showing. You can even wear a one piece as long as the back is open (according to the course catalog). It's not that bad. I am going to NYCOM this august, I feel like you do also. But I already found a swim suit with an open back, and mathching gym shorts to wear. I have spent the past four years at an all girls college, so I have some anxiety about this also. Don't feel bad, But don't make such a big decision because of this.