Help!!! Ochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tommae

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the first semester of O-chem over the summer and got C
I am kind of freaked out about it right now. I heard Dental schools like to see good Science scores especially Ochem

Should I retake the class later? What can I do?

I appreciate any comments!

Members don't see this ad.

Not much you can do about the C. I would definately take the class again and MAKE SURE you get an A. I think o-chem is a subject that you need to study consistently. Again, the key is consistency. O-chem also builds on principals so dont neglect ANYTHING. If you miss a key principal (say rearrangements) then your done all semester! Also, make sure you understand transition states and transition energies. Thats the main theme!

I actually think you shouldn't take it over. If you are a science major, then you should just go on and take 2nd semester ochem and also biochem. Do well in those classes and prove to the admission officers that your first C is a fluke. Getting an A will not improve your GPA that much, since both grades will be calculated. Also, dental schools will expect a higher grade, so you have to work extra hard to ensure an A. Just do well in upper division classes and you will be fine.

If your're a non-science major, you should definiately take biochem and do well. Also take one or two more science classes beyond the pre-reqs to raise your science GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
sloppy,
How do you suppose this person will do in O-chem 2 and biochem not having mastered the material in O-chem 1? Like i said before, o-chem builds, so you need to FULLY understand the old material to do well in future courses. Again (IMO) going on to ochem 2 and biochem would be a mistake. In my school O-chem 2 is more difficult than O-chem 1 and if you got a C in the first, you probably wont get a better grade in more advanced classes Also, taking o-chem over would help the BCP average a lot! a B average is alot better than a C.

ShawnOne

Thank you everyone for replying... I have one more question, would it help to convert C grade to pass/nonpass grade? I know Dental school will automatically look at pass/nonpass grade as C but at least I can bring up some GPA

Thanks! again

why not? If i knew how to "convert" C's i'd write a book!

BTW, i dont think admissions look at Pass/Fail as C's. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. I had a couple mandatory Pass/Fail 1 unit courses as a undergrad.

I'd look hard at the ramifications before you go changing your grades. Pass/fail grades don't give any indication of mastery beyond the barest minimum, and you need more than that to succeed in dental school. IUSD, for example, won't accept any p/f grades. Forcing applicants to be accountable for their undergrad performance is one simple way to cull some of the fluff away from the legitimate aspirants to dental school.